Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Child at high risk for COVID complications- school next year
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 13 2020, 9:11 am
Due to underlying medical conditions, one of my children is at high risk for COVID complications.

I am completely at a loss as to what we will do for school next year- both for that child and for my other children. It seems very likely that schools will open up either partially or completely and we think the exposure at school is probably too much of a risk. (We still need to consult more with doctors...but prospect isn't hopeful). And my children's schools did teleconferencing, so doing that full time if school is open partially or fully really isn't a good solution.

I am so worried and distraught about this. It's been heartbreaking to see my children slowly realize that they may be stuck at home while their friends are back in school. I don't know what we're going to do.

Is anyone else in this situation? What are you planning to do this upcoming year?

(Please don't turn this into any sort of discussion about how high or not the risk is, or whether or not people should be wearing masks, or the like...I'm in a lot of pain and can't handle COVID debates right now).

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Jul 13 2020, 9:14 am
I really feel for you Op. So sorry you and your children are having to deal with this.
Was just thinking about this.
Talk to your pediatrician. Yes as you wrote make the decision in conjunction with your doctors.
I'm clear that we cannot all be in lockdown forever and have to make the best decisions we can based on our individual situations.
hugs and hatzlocha

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jul 13 2020, 9:16 am
My DD has severe asthma attacks. She cannot wear a mask, and if she got sick it would be very severe for her. The relatives she is living with right now both have autoimmune issues, so that makes things even more complicated. They can't afford to have her sick, either.

She is dying to go to school for her senior year (and everyone knows how important being a senior is to a teen.) She misses social interaction SO much!

She's accepted the fact that she will have to be home schooled. We're just hoping that by the end of the school year things will be somewhat normal, and she can attend graduation and prom. She'll be devastated if she can't, because she has worked so hard this year to get her grades up.

If you have a kid who is super social and outgoing, it's really torture for them. DD is trying to figure out how to do some sort of meet up with friends outdoors, with social distancing.

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Jul 13 2020, 9:44 am
You know your kids best. Some kids would much rather be homeschooled, and for others it would be a cruel punishment that they would never forgive their parents for. It's just so individual.

keym

Post Mon, Jul 13 2020, 9:57 am
Is it public knowledge that you're kid is at risk? Will the schools work with you?
I seem to remember that Chai Lifeline had the technology to rig up a classroom (pre Corona) so that cancer patients could "attend" class even when when it was too risky to go to school.
Maybe reach out to them to create a virtual situation in the actual classrooms.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 3:22 pm
keym wrote:
Is it public knowledge that you're kid is at risk? Will the schools work with you?
I seem to remember that Chai Lifeline had the technology to rig up a classroom (pre Corona) so that cancer patients could "attend" class even when when it was too risky to go to school.
Maybe reach out to them to create a virtual situation in the actual classrooms.

Yes, it's public knowledge.

I'm not sure- I will reach out towards the end of the summer and find out.

I'm worried the schools won't though because they were pretty anti-zoom at the end of last year (there were a some in-person days at the very end of the year and I asked if there could be zoom set up for my children, and they said no). But maybe if it's a long term problem than they'll be willing to be more accommodating...

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 3:54 pm
I would definitely ask both the school and the doctors about creative solutions. There may be a way to at least send the other kids. And I would definitely tell the school right now where you're at- you may not be the only one, and the info could allow for better planning.

How old are your kids? If the school can make some accomodations, are they old enough to come home, change and shower every day, as if they were a healthcare worker? Can you rig a room or entryway so that your at-risk child never goes there, such as kids entering through a basement entry and showering sown there before coming up?

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 6:23 pm
We just had this discussion with heme/onc and infectious diseases and will be keeping my child home next year. Right now it is not in plan to keep the other kids home, but we’ll probably be more vigilant with changing clothing when coming home and other precautions.

How old is your child op?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 6:30 pm
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
We just had this discussion with heme/onc and infectious diseases and will be keeping my child home next year. Right now it is not in plan to keep the other kids home, but we’ll probably be more vigilant with changing clothing when coming home and other precautions.

How old is your child op?

6 years old. Going into first grade.

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 6:37 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
6 years old. Going into first grade.

Oh, that’s a very very tough year.

Hmm. If you happen to live in borough park or Monroe I have a suggestion

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 6:39 pm
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:

Yes Sad

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 6:44 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yes Sad

I edited my response above. Not sure if you saw.
In any case, wishing you lots of hatzlacha & siyata dishmaya in making the right decision in what’s best for your child medically, socially and physiologically. It’s a tough call Sad

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 3:36 pm
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:

Hmm. If you happen to live in borough park or Monroe I have a suggestion

Something in Borough Park may work.

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 6:08 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Something in Borough Park may work.

Call Yitty fish at Kochavim. She can probably help you figure something out tel:7184899599

https://kochavimcare.org/

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 7:32 pm
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
Call Yitty fish at Kochavim. She can probably help you figure something out tel:7184899599

https://kochavimcare.org/

Thank you so much!

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 7:38 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Due to underlying medical conditions, one of my children is at high risk for COVID complications.

I am completely at a loss as to what we will do for school next year- both for that child and for my other children. It seems very likely that schools will open up either partially or completely and we think the exposure at school is probably too much of a risk. (We still need to consult more with doctors...but prospect isn't hopeful). And my children's schools did teleconferencing, so doing that full time if school is open partially or fully really isn't a good solution.

I am so worried and distraught about this. It's been heartbreaking to see my children slowly realize that they may be stuck at home while their friends are back in school. I don't know what we're going to do.

Is anyone else in this situation? What are you planning to do this upcoming year?

(Please don't turn this into any sort of discussion about how high or not the risk is, or whether or not people should be wearing masks, or the like...I'm in a lot of pain and can't handle COVID debates right now).

Looks like my kids will be home for the upcoming school year. Nobody is high risk here. I just don't want my kids sitting in masks for hours day in and day out. I don't believe it is healthy. And since it looks like that is going to be required, homeschool it is. I'm not happy about it but we each need to do what is best for our family. I believe schooling at home will be safer for my children. Sounds like, though for very different reasons, it may be safer for all of your children as well.

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 11:20 pm
Yes, I can relate and my heart goes out to you OP. My daughter is at risk ,too, but she is older and her situation is not visible or known to her teachers or friends. In the elementary school years, there were quite a few individuals who knew about her condition, but B"H she has been doing better, and when she started high school, we decided to give her a 'fresh start' and not tell anyone (unless medically necessary). She had such a good year, and she was really thriving and just happy to go to school and learn and be with her friends. Enter COVID 19...She is a very private person, so part of not telling school is about respecting her privacy. She just wants to be like everyone else. The other part, unfortunately, is thinking about the Shiduchim reality that is looming ahead, a couple of years from now. I find it ridiculous that this is even a factor, but it is. I sometimes wish we lived in a more MO community where there seems to be greater acceptance of people for who they are, as well as greater accommodations and less stigma for people with special needs. Right now, she is home for the summer. Her doctor did not think it was a good idea for her to go to camp. She is bored and we have to work, and it is not easy. B"H, she is very talented and positive child and she finds ways to keep herself busy some of the time, but she has been home already for several months and it is getting lonely. I cannot even imagine having to keep her home next year if her friends go back to school. It makes me cringe and I just try not to think about it. I am not sure what we would do. I am hoping and davening things change for the better but right now things are not looking too good... Waiting for a miracle.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 10:19 am
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
I would definitely ask both the school and the doctors about creative solutions. There may be a way to at least send the other kids. And I would definitely tell the school right now where you're at- you may not be the only one, and the info could allow for better planning.

How old are your kids? If the school can make some accomodations, are they old enough to come home, change and shower every day, as if they were a healthcare worker? Can you rig a room or entryway so that your at-risk child never goes there, such as kids entering through a basement entry and showering sown there before coming up?

They're not old enough to be consistently careful. They could shower and change clothes, but not be reliably cautious the way healthcare workers are. (Plus they wouldn't be wearing full head to toe PPE the way healthcare workers do)

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 10:25 am
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
Yes, I can relate and my heart goes out to you OP. My daughter is at risk ,too, but she is older and her situation is not visible or known to her teachers or friends. In the elementary school years, there were quite a few individuals who knew about her condition, but B"H she has been doing better, and when she started high school, we decided to give her a 'fresh start' and not tell anyone (unless medically necessary). She had such a good year, and she was really thriving and just happy to go to school and learn and be with her friends. Enter COVID 19...She is a very private person, so part of not telling school is about respecting her privacy. She just wants to be like everyone else. The other part, unfortunately, is thinking about the Shiduchim reality that is looming ahead, a couple of years from now. I find it ridiculous that this is even a factor, but it is. I sometimes wish we lived in a more MO community where there seems to be greater acceptance of people for who they are, as well as greater accommodations and less stigma for people with special needs. Right now, she is home for the summer. Her doctor did not think it was a good idea for her to go to camp. She is bored and we have to work, and it is not easy. B"H, she is very talented and positive child and she finds ways to keep herself busy some of the time, but she has been home already for several months and it is getting lonely. I cannot even imagine having to keep her home next year if her friends go back to school. It makes me cringe and I just try not to think about it. I am not sure what we would do. I am hoping and davening things change for the better but right now things are not looking too good... Waiting for a miracle.

Oy, I'm sorry. That is so so hard. I will daven for your daughter (and you) too.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 10:27 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
My DD has severe asthma attacks. She cannot wear a mask, and if she got sick it would be very severe for her. The relatives she is living with right now both have autoimmune issues, so that makes things even more complicated. They can't afford to have her sick, either.

She is dying to go to school for her senior year (and everyone knows how important being a senior is to a teen.) She misses social interaction SO much!

She's accepted the fact that she will have to be home schooled. We're just hoping that by the end of the school year things will be somewhat normal, and she can attend graduation and prom. She'll be devastated if she can't, because she has worked so hard this year to get her grades up.

If you have a kid who is super social and outgoing, it's really torture for them. DD is trying to figure out how to do some sort of meet up with friends outdoors, with social distancing.

Oy, your poor daughter. I feel for her. My kids are on generally on the more introverted side which definitely makes things easier for them- it sounds so so rough for her. I will daven for her and keep her (and you) in mind while hoping for a miracle for everyone...
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics