Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Neighbor dumping garbage on my porch. Wwyd
Previous  1  2  3  4

Learning

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 7:04 pm
If it’s the kids throwing the garbage I think you or Dh or the big kids try nicely to influence them because obviously the parents are not making it for some reason. If the whole week they keep it clean they will get a treat or do the points chart and give them small treats every few days. You are doing a mitzva and helping yourself. I don’t like garbage can option. It’s obnoxious and I don’t think it will help

Last edited by Learning on Wed, Jul 15 2020, 7:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

notshanarishona

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 7:05 pm
My neighbor’s toddlers used to throw everything from garbage to toys to laundry. I still remember the chocolate pudding that was thrown onto my white laundry rack and how mad I was . We finally put up a net and once the parents saw that they couldn’t get things back once they were thrown they started enforcing discipline and it stopped.

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 7:27 pm
excellent idea - so if its only garbage and not things they want back and so you need a different motivator you can install a trampoline Wink
wonder what Aharon Margolit would advise...

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 8:54 pm
I like the idea of the net. Install it very high, just below their porch. high enough away from yours. they will see the build up and accumulation of stuff and then maybe realize how all that would have been on your porch. after a few weeks take the net down.

or, if you ever speak to the kids in a different friendly setting, tell them that you will give them a prize if the porch stays clean for a whole week.

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 9:06 pm
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
Confused as to why the kids aren't cleaning up after themselves?
If my kids threw garbage into someone else's yard I'd be mortified and march them over to go pick it up.

Wow you’re so perfect, and ur kids sound like magical robots. U do realize that most moms are human and most kids have a hard time listening?

I have a very netting on my porch gates so kids shouldn’t dump things off the porch...my 2 yr old has figured out ways around and manages to throw things occasionally.

I really think op should solve the problem herself without fixing the world. Set up whatever shields you can without fighting or saying another word...

Like I said, When living with neighbors there’s lots of tolerating to do or just move to a private house In a quieter neighborhood you’ll have less issues to deal with, guaranteed.

Fabulous

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 9:17 pm
Op, I really don’t think this is about cleanliness. It seems to be a manners/middos thing. I’m not a particularly neat person(although I am constantly working on it). But when one of my kids throws something on the floor in someone’s house/property or even outside, it’s a chinuch thing to make them pick it up themselves. If your neighbor knows that their garbage is raining down, it’s HER responsibility to march those kids down each day/week to clean it up. She might not be able to stop them from making the mess in the first place If she’s so messy, but she can definitely take care of the fallout.

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 9:24 pm
I'm that neighbor. and my kids throw things not out if a lack of chinuch or menchlichkeit just because they are kids. every time thay walk out on the porch with an item I remind them not to throw and things still get thrown and still fall.
if I see there is a big mess I will make them go clean up, and I dont mind if the neighbor calls and asks my kids to clean up.
any other suggestion would have been met with an eyeroll from me. kids will be kids no matter what u say or do.
getting stuff thrown onto ur porch is the price u pay for living with other ppl.
and just as an fyi, plenty times ill hear the neighbors kids yelling up that my kids should throw stuff down when the mom is not within earshot...

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 10:32 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
I'm that neighbor. and my kids throw things not out if a lack of chinuch or menchlichkeit just because they are kids. every time thay walk out on the porch with an item I remind them not to throw and things still get thrown and still fall.
if I see there is a big mess I will make them go clean up, and I dont mind if the neighbor calls and asks my kids to clean up.
any other suggestion would have been met with an eyeroll from me. kids will be kids no matter what u say or do.
getting stuff thrown onto ur porch is the price u pay for living with other ppl.
and just as an fyi, plenty times ill hear the neighbors kids yelling up that my kids should throw stuff down when the mom is not within earshot...

Hi neighbor. Is our house red brick?

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 10:55 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:

Do your kids also roll their eyes when you tell them not to throw banana peels, pistachio shells and wrappers from ices on the floor at shul? What about your in-laws' house? Do you just tell them, oh, kids will be kids, I'll have them pick it up if it gets too bad, but right now its just a few sticky wrappers, no biggie.

Kids will be kids until they're taught. And yes, there will be mistakes. Things will occasionally fly away, or a kid will make a mistake. That's fine, but its not what we're talking about. The constant barage of garbage OP refers to isn't a mistake. After a few days of being told no ices, only eat inside (where, presumably, they can throw garbage on the floor to their heart's content), no playing until you pick up the trash you threw, and wash the porch floor if its sticky, they'll start to get the message.

soap suds

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 12:58 am
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
It sounds nice to me too but I don’t think my husband or kids would come along
Perfect! You and OP can be neighbors. Your kids won’t be there to throw garbage on her porch. Very Happy

BH Yom Yom

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 7:50 am
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
Do your kids also roll their eyes when you tell them not to throw banana peels, pistachio shells and wrappers from ices on the floor at shul? What about your in-laws' house? Do you just tell them, oh, kids will be kids, I'll have them pick it up if it gets too bad, but right now its just a few sticky wrappers, no biggie.

Kids will be kids until they're taught. And yes, there will be mistakes. Things will occasionally fly away, or a kid will make a mistake. That's fine, but its not what we're talking about. The constant barage of garbage OP refers to isn't a mistake. After a few days of being told no ices, only eat inside (where, presumably, they can throw garbage on the floor to their heart's content), no playing until you pick up the trash you threw, and wash the porch floor if its sticky, they'll start to get the message.

Applause Well-said.

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 8:02 am
Kids are not perfect but wondering do you allow them to throw these things on your floor in your house? On your porch?
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics