Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Free rent for those IN NY with income lower than...

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 7:36 pm
Governor Cuomo just passed something for ppl who have income less than..(you can click on the chart on the webpage to check if you are eligible based on income)
That you get rent paid for.....

You can check all the details and eligibility online, but supposedly it is open for 2 weeks only starting tomorrow, so you might want to check this out and apply as soon as possible.

To access the application and see details, just put into google:

"Governor Cuomo Announces New COVID rental Assistance Program"

And you will see the webpage.....

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 8:03 pm
Not free rent.

“The rental assistance payment will cover the difference between the household’s rent burden on March 1, 2020 and the increase in rent burden for the months the households is applying for assistance. Households can apply for up to four months in rental assistance.
Example: In Clinton County, the area median family income is $76,800. If you are a family of four, and your household income is below $58,950, your household would meet this criteria.

3. Before March 1, 2020 and at the time of application, your household must pay more than 30% of your gross monthly income for rent.

Example: Your monthly household income is $2,000. Thirty percent of your monthly household income would be $600, but you pay $700 a month in rent. Your household would meet this criteria.

4. You lost income during the COVID-19 crisis during the period of April 1, 2020 to July 31, 2020.

Example: If you are paid hourly and have had your hours reduced since April 1, 2020, or have lost employment, you would meet these criteria.

Am I eligible to receive this rental assistance if I currently have a Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher or reside in public housing?

No.”

And unemployment is considered incomes

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 10:49 pm
Practically speaking, this is likely to provide maybe $100-$300 (paid directly to your landlord) for eligible households.

If your income went down and your rent is now well over 30% of your income, it may be worthwhile to apply. For all others, it's not going to do much.

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 7:20 am
Any one have more info on this?
Is it worth applying? I lost my job but got unemployment (which is more income now)

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 9:34 am
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
Any one have more info on this?
Is it worth applying? I lost my job but got unemployment (which is more income now)

From what I heard, unemployment benefits is counted as income, so if you're unemployment is more than your regular income, you will probably not be eligible.

Here is the government website with all the details: https://hcr.ny.gov/RRP

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 9:36 am
The website was apparently overloaded with people applying so not sure if its still available.

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 11:15 am
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
The website was apparently overloaded with people applying so not sure if its still available.

The application will be open for the next 2 weeks and it's not on a first come first served basis, so you can try again another day.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics