Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Cheap fruits and vegetables in Brooklyn?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 2:02 pm
Where can I buy cheap fruits and vegetables in Brooklyn? Tomato King has nice produce but it's very expensive. $2.99 for plums and persian cucumbers and stem tomatoes. $3.99 for red/orange/yellow peppers. I bought one watermelon recently and it cost over $16. Even peaches I bought for $1.49 a pound, each peach is close to 70 cents. We go through a lot of fruits and vegetables. Prices are too high. Where do you buy that's cheaper?

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 2:04 pm
Circus fruits Is well known for their low prices

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 2:05 pm
Three guys from Brooklyn

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 2:23 pm
There is a fruit store on the corner of 18th ave and east 5th st. They usually have very low prices

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 2:29 pm
Rosner's has in season ripe produce plus basics at great prices. As long as you don't need everything, they are a great option.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 2:32 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Rosner's has in season ripe produce plus basics at great prices. As long as you don't need everything, they are a great option.
where is this?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 2:44 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
where is this?

3 locations. 16 & 55, 14 & 45 & Ave F & McDonald.

sallysaucer

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 2:56 pm
I second rosner's.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 3:08 pm
thank you for all the suggestions

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 3:57 pm
It's hard. I feel like veggies went up in price and down in quality, especially since Corona started. I try buying whatever is on sale that week, and work with that.
(Strawberries were on sale in Whole Foods last week, so we had that. Gourmet Glatt had grapes and watermelon on sale, so when I went there to buy meat & chicken I picked those up as well.) There used to be a fruit n veggies stand at 18&65 across the Starbucks, I'm not sure if he's been there lately, but if I'd pass that neighborhood I'd always make sure to get some tomatoes and peppers.
Basically wherever I spot any fruits or veggies on sale I get those.

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 5:16 pm
If there's a CSA (community supported agriculture) group in your neighborhood, you could look into that. You pay a flat fee and then pick up weekly deliveries of whatever fruits and vegetables the CSA farm has harvested. My CSA farm is in the Catskills; this week I'm getting yellow onions, leaf lettuce, beets, Swiss chard, kale, zucchini, cucumbers, tomatoes, parsley, and blueberries.

Most (all?) CSAs are volunteer-run and ask their members to volunteer at pickup for a shift or two each season, so this model isn't for everyone. On the upside, the produce is fantastic and costs less than the grocery store. Some CSAs even accept EBT and/or charge on a sliding scale.

HonesttoGod

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 8:14 pm
I have found 3guys of Brooklyn to have best selection, best quality, for the best prices.

walkingalong

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 8:31 pm
Buying whatever is in season and on sale helps a lot. Tastes better too when you buy in season things and not some apples or peaches shipped in from wherever.

A few years ago my food budget was only $60/mo and I did most of my shopping at the fruit stand at Ditmas Ave & McDonald, and the 24hr Russian place on Ditmas diagnol across from CVS.
Rosner's is also amazing, please note EBT or cash only which helps them keep prices so good.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries