Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Making Aliyah without money

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 2:18 pm
Ok... I see the thread about making Aliyah with money. What about those of us who are just typical middle class and don’t really have thousands of dollars in extra cash sitting around. My family wants to make Aliyah and other then the money from the selling our house, we won’t be coming with too much More in assets. I’d love to hear from folks who have come without monetary help from parents and “made it” in Israel. What made your Aliyah’s successful ?

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 2:46 pm
I did but I was very young and single. I did the IDF, and then the government paid for my degree.

I came from a low income family in the US, so I didn't feel like I was missing anything when I came to Israel and didn't have much. Then I got my first job and paycheck in Israel and it's the only one I've ever had so I'm happy with it.

Sorry if that's not helpful for your situation. I do know low income families who made it, but I don't know what their advice would be.

Elfrida

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 3:00 pm
I didn't have money when I came, but I was single. I could live in a cheap tiny one room apartment. I didn't have the expense of Shabbos meals, and I didn't mind having two skirts which I wore alternatively until they were out. I would go to the shuk when they were closing and get bags of sug bet vegetables for two shekel, then make soup and live for a week on it.

It took time, moving from one minimum wage job to a slightly better one, and filling in the intervals being a cleaning lady. When I had a bit of money I could do a course, and then get a better job, and slowly moving up the ladder. Now I have a reliable job and a reasonable income.

My parents were sometimes able to give me a little financial help, but never anything I could rely on. It was just a help when it turned up. I also have very good friends who were willing to lend me money if I needed it, and count on my being able to pay them back at some (unspecified) future date. They had more faith in my future than I did, but they were right. They were my cushions.

So, yes. I came here with very little, and now have a reasonable lifestyle. We're still hoping to buy a house one day. But I couldn't have done it the way I did if I had been married, and even less so with dependent children. On the other hand, you sound like you would be starting from a much better position than I was.

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 3:02 pm
You mentioned you have a house to sell. That should help some

2gether

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 3:14 pm
There are other factor: what fields you work in, how much of a downpayment you can swing (in Israel its 30%), where you want to live, how many kids you have and what ages (5 year old won't miss American life-style, 12 yr. old will), etc.

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 3:27 pm
How much is your house worth? Are you still paying mortgage on it? It makes a big difference if you are coming with 100k or 300k.

Where do you want to live?

essie14

Post Fri, Jul 17 2020, 1:08 am
What's your plan for employment?
You need money to live, no matter where in the world you live. Even if you dont come with savings you need money every month.
Ages of kids is huge. The older your kids are, the less flexibility you have in terms of where to live and what they can get used to.
If you're coming with one 3 yr old, you can live in a 2 bedroom in the periphery and stick him straight in Hebrew gan.

amother
Lavender

Post Fri, Jul 17 2020, 4:00 am
If you can sell your house and buy something in Israel to live in, the rest is about employment. The standard of living is typically lower, so the important thing is to set up a job. You don't need tons of money.

amother
Amethyst

Post Fri, Jul 17 2020, 7:29 am
Would you move to another state without any money?
I don't understand why Israel is supposed to be magically easier. Sure you get some benefits but this is to supplement, not to replace what you don't have.

amother
Navy

Post Fri, Jul 17 2020, 7:39 am
Elfrida wrote:
I didn't have money when I came, but I was single. I could live in a cheap tiny one room apartment. I didn't have the expense of Shabbos meals, and I didn't mind having two skirts which I wore alternatively until they were out. I would go to the shuk when they were closing and get bags of sug bet vegetables for two shekel, then make soup and live for a week on it.

It took time, moving from one minimum wage job to a slightly better one, and filling in the intervals being a cleaning lady. When I had a bit of money I could do a course, and then get a better job, and slowly moving up the ladder. Now I have a reliable job and a reasonable income.

My parents were sometimes able to give me a little financial help, but never anything I could rely on. It was just a help when it turned up. I also have very good friends who were willing to lend me money if I needed it, and count on my being able to pay them back at some (unspecified) future date. They had more faith in my future than I did, but they were right. They were my cushions.

So, yes. I came here with very little, and now have a reasonable lifestyle. We're still hoping to buy a house one day. But I couldn't have done it the way I did if I had been married, and even less so with dependent children. On the other hand, you sound like you would be starting from a much better position than I was.

כל הכבוד!!

Your dedication is amazing. I'm in awe.

We made aliyah with kids, which is a whole different kettle of fish.

To the poster who said that you wouldn't move anywhere else without money, that's true. It's hard to just show up empty handed. But op has a house to sell, and if her kids are school aged, her tuition bill will drop by about 90 percent. It's doable. And it's Israel, which makes all the difference in the world.

amother
Amethyst

Post Fri, Jul 17 2020, 8:05 am
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
כל הכבוד!!

Your dedication is amazing. I'm in awe.

We made aliyah with kids, which is a whole different kettle of fish.

To the poster who said that you wouldn't move anywhere else without money, that's true. It's hard to just show up empty handed. But op has a house to sell, and if her kids are school aged, her tuition bill will drop by about 90 percent. It's doable. And it's Israel, which makes all the difference in the world.

Another thing I don't understand - how can someone who has their own house to sell claim they've no money? Houses aren't worth skittles, it's an asset, and a big one at that

watergirl

Post Fri, Jul 17 2020, 8:50 am
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
Another thing I don't understand - how can someone who has their own house to sell claim they've no money? Houses aren't worth skittles, it's an asset, and a big one at that

It really depends on each persons situation. It depends on the amount of equity one has on their home. My best friend made aliyah and was able to sell their home and make 300k on it. They thought they would be in good shape for aliyah. NBN said they would be fine. They made aliyah. Her husband had a hard time finding a job... long story short, that money is now gone. They thought it would be used to buy a home in Israel. In 5 years, they needed to use that money to pay rent, etc. and help themselves get onto their Israeli feet. Now, BH they are ok but not comfortable, and have no nest egg that they thought they would have.

But say someone can "only" make 30k on their home? That wont be enough to get you started and bring over your car, your lifts, etc. People think aliyah is free. It is very much not free.

amother
Cyan

Post Fri, Jul 17 2020, 8:52 am
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:

As posted, people can have the deed in their name but have little equity in their home.

Once they sell the home and pay 6% (average) to the broker, there might be little or no equity left.

Obviously for many people who have lived in the home, there is a lot of equity but this is typically true only if someone bought years ago or lived in a place where prices appreciated wildly in short period of time.

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Jul 17 2020, 9:37 am
Very similar to Elfrida. I came young and single. The first two years I was a babysitter/nanny full time and made good money. I also went drom job to job as well.
I came with a tiny bit of money that helped me through the first year.
Im sure its harder with a family.
The most important thing is job prospects.

LovesHashem

Post Fri, Jul 17 2020, 10:08 am
Make do with less. I know people who sold all their jewelry in order to pay for tickets to make aliyah. (They weren't eligible for any benefits as they made aliyah 15 years prior and left after a year) They came with nothing.

My family also was having trouble. My parents were struggling financially in the states and figured it wouldn't be any worse here. They didn't have jobs to lose. They both worked really hard to make ends meet.

justforfun87

Post Mon, Nov 20 2023, 3:28 pm
I am bumping this thread to hopefully hear more insight.

amother
IndianRed

Post Mon, Nov 20 2023, 4:21 pm
I moved just married with about $15,000 in the bank. I worked cleaning peoples houses until I could get my degree switched over, do ulpan and find a job. My husband went straight to kollel (many men continue in yeshiva for a few years) and tutored in the evenings. It was very tough but 10 yrs later, I have an excellent job, we managed to buy a (tiny) apartment, my husband is still in kollel and we're saving every month.

lostprincess

Post Tue, Nov 21 2023, 1:10 am
A successful aliyah depends on much more than money. Your level of commitment and flexibility will have a huge impact and so will having a community and overall network for support.

Of course coming as a single or even a couple can not be compared to coming with a family. With that said, if u expect to maintain your current American standards than wtv amount you bring will probably not suffice. If you come with an open mind ready to compromise and adapt your chances of success are far greater.

Personally I came with a family and no money. The advantage is the kids were young enough to adapt quickly. We've had lots of struggles, many ups and downs parnassa wise but our attachment to the land means we're sticking it out no matter what. We feel happy and blessed to be amongst those who have the merit to live in eretz hakodesh.

I don't mean to be a downer but it's a fact: "ארץ ישראל נקנית בייסורים"
If your challenge isn't parnassa it will be something else. You have to come here with the motivation that it's worth it and thus you can overcome any challenge with time, lots of tefilot and emuna...

My personal recommendation to anyone who wants to come here is definitely to have a plan as you must do hishtadlus but expect things to not go as planned LOL . The best preparation is to fill your bags with tefilot and more tefilot and to work on your emuna.
There is no better place than home and there is so much to gain from living here. I strongly encourage all Jews around the world to consider coming home however with due diligence.

Behatzlaha

amother
Gladiolus

Post Tue, Nov 21 2023, 6:20 am
If you sell your house and make $10,000 okay, you might have a problem. But if you sell it and have $100,000 to come with, you should've fine if you're smart. I am assuming you are coming with a family. If you're coming single or as a couple or a couple with a baby you don't need much actually.

Don't move to the most expensive place unless you have a job already. Don't move to a huge apartment. We make do with less here, especially if you don't have solid employment yet.

But yes if you come with some money, a plan and will take jobs that are offered you should be fine.

amother
Azalea

Post Tue, Nov 21 2023, 7:35 am
We came with very little relative to the numbers I see here. We made 30k off our house. We’re doing better here b”h without tuition (we had one in pre school and one in early grade school). We’re in high tech here which pays well b”h. We were able to buy an apartment on paper because the down payment is 20%. I know people will say here that those in high tech don’t live as others here, it may be true but we’re both nerds that are good at tech which is rewarded here more than in the USA. I feel like Hashem blesses some with parnassah. Sometimes changing locations helps, sometimes not. For us, we’re one of those doing better on this side and I know others like us too.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions