Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Nonreturnable baby outfit is dry clean only!

allthingsblue

Post Sat, Jul 18 2020, 11:00 pm
I am so upset. I bought a non returnable baby outfit and took it out to wash it only to find it is dry clean only! Who ever heard of such a thing????

amother
Red

Post Sat, Jul 18 2020, 11:04 pm
Can you post the materials. Maybe you can hand wash, or even wash on gentle

Miri1

Post Sat, Jul 18 2020, 11:06 pm
Man that's annoying Mad
What's it made of?
I wouldn't dry clean a baby outfit because I wouldn't want to expose the baby to the organic chemicals.
Sometimes dry clean only is washable on delicates.

Teomima

Post Sat, Jul 18 2020, 11:31 pm
That's so silly. I'd just wash it regularly. It might shorten the life of the material but it'll clean it and that's all that really matters.

allthingsblue

Post Sat, Jul 18 2020, 11:35 pm
Acrylic
cotton
Polyester blend

teachkids

Post Sat, Jul 18 2020, 11:37 pm
Who makes dry clean only baby outfits?!

You can either regift it to someone you don’t like, or take your chances washing it on delicate and air drying it.

Miri1

Post Sat, Jul 18 2020, 11:37 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
Acrylic
cotton
Polyester blend

See if you can get any stains out with a bit of dish soap and water, and then either hand wash or wash on delicates (cold) and hang to dry.

I would just take the risk, it may shrink and it may not. If there is acrylic it may pill.

allthingsblue

Post Sat, Jul 18 2020, 11:41 pm
Miri1 wrote:
See if you can get any stains out with a bit of dish soap and water, and then either hand wash or wash on delicates (cold) and hang to dry.

I would just take the risk, it may shrink and it may not. If there is acrylic it may pill.

It doesn't have stains - baby didn't wear it yet. I wanted to wash it before baby wears it for the first time.

I might take my chances

summer0808

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 12:31 am
I once washed a baby hat and it shrank. I took it back to the store and they're like duh it's dry clean only. I was really annoyed and told them they should have warned me. a hat for a 1 year old!

it was so tiny that I put it on my next one when she came home from the hospital!

Leahh

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 12:46 am
allthingsblue wrote:
Acrylic
cotton
Polyester blend

These fabrics are all washable. I would try to wash it on cold, maybe even delicate, to be safe. It's not like you have anything to lose at this point

studying_torah

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 1:46 am
Ugh years ago I was in a department store & saw a cute dress for my then toddler.
Good thing I glanced at the label- 100% silk, dry clean only! I'll pass thanks

abaker

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 1:51 am
1. Please send me a pic of this fancy outfit!

2. Take your chances and hand wash or use the delicate setting on your washer. I wouldn't want to dry clean a baby outfit, it's just too high maintenance for my cleaning/laundry routine lol

Blessing1

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 1:51 am
I always wash dry clean only cloths inside out on delicate & by itself in a load. Hang to dry or dry flat. If it has colors that can run, wash it with shout color catcher sheets.

4sure

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 2:54 am
As long as it’s not wool I’d wash it on cold and hang dry. Those fabrics are all washable.

Amarante

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 10:35 am
As others have posted, it is probably hand washable. Manufacturers will generally err on the side of caution and state everything needs to be dry cleaned when in fact the opposite is true - it is better to wash fine wool sweaters and silk than to have them dry cleaned. A lot of this happened after cleaning instruction labels were mandated and of course the dry cleaning industry has a vested interest in wanting everything dry cleaned.

The issue with washing isn't the materials but the construction so a tailored wool suit shouldn't be washed because of the construction. That would also be true of many dresses but I would often hand wash silk blouses that had simple construction and carefully iron. Of course at this point I am lazy so I will have items dry cleaned that don't really need dry cleaning just because I don't want to hand wash and/or I don't want to iron.

Sometimes fabrics that are theoretically hand washable like cotton might "bleed" so you could test if that is an issue by putting an inconspicuous part of the outfit in water and seeing whether it bleeds. There are things to use that help set colors so they won't bleed. I haven't had to deal with this for awhile but as I recall vinegar could be used although I think there are now commercial products like Woolite which has a special no bleed formula.

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 1:32 pm
How about 50% wool 50% viscose?
Just bought a baby outfit and it says dry clean only.. wondering if it can be hand washed without shrinking/getting ruined

Anyone know?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 2:05 pm
amother Royalblue wrote:
How about 50% wool 50% viscose?
Just bought a baby outfit and it says dry clean only.. wondering if it can be hand washed without shrinking/getting ruined

Anyone know?

Wool might shrink it's a risk. If you're willing to risk it only real hand wash in a bucket by hand (not machine hand wash setting) in cold. Don't soak, do it quickly and pray.

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 2:37 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Wool might shrink it's a risk. If you're willing to risk it only real hand wash in a bucket by hand (not machine hand wash setting) in cold. Don't soak, do it quickly and pray.

Guess I will return then
Thank you!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry