Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Child-related inquiries
Looking for a zoom camp idea for my 15 year old son

lkwdlady

Post Mon, Jul 20 2020, 8:09 pm
His summer plans aren’t working out. We do have day camp options here but he doesn’t like sports.
Any ideas for a boy this age would be so helpful!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jul 20 2020, 8:18 pm
Same boat here.
I'm finding out if there are opportunities to work in the local school helping get ready for next year. It sounds promising.

He did do some coding online and he's keeping to a learning schedule but it's hard filling a whole day especially with no social interaction. And his 13 yo brother just left today for camp so I'm afraid it's just going to be harder.

sky

Post Mon, Jul 20 2020, 8:24 pm
You could try contacting Rabbi Schoenberg who ran nsa when schools closed.
He wanted to start something called first Seder America. For grades 6-8. I think morning zoom camp. You can contact him to see if it ever took off. his info was on the application.
https://docs.google.com/forms/.....wform

If you would still want a camp Sime learning camps have opened. I heard Some have space.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jul 20 2020, 8:39 pm
He did do it.. But it wasn't for mesivta boys in 10th grade...

doctorima

Post Mon, Jul 20 2020, 9:15 pm
Rabbi Schoenfeld's program is up and running, but is for younger boys. There's a Rabbi Schechter from Chicago who runs a free virtual learning program for high school boys, I believe from 10:15-11:15 Chicago time. If anyone wants the info, let me know and I should be able to track it down.

lkwdlady

Post Mon, Jul 20 2020, 10:20 pm
Thank you everyone for responding.
I hired a chavrusa to learn with him... that’s an hour a day.
I bought him some exercise equipment and he works out almost every day.. he got very into that in yeshiva.
He is musical but can’t do anything with it during the 3 weeks.
I was thinking about a hands on zoom activity. Maybe playing games together via zoom or learning something like book binding. Maybe chess?
I think he would like to work but since he doesn’t want to be in a camp, he would be very lonely working without a friend.
I think it will be difficult for him the next few weeks while my other kids are in camp. Really hope I can find something for him to do.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jul 20 2020, 10:22 pm
doctorima wrote:
Rabbi Schoenfeld's program is up and running, but is for younger boys. There's a Rabbi Schechter from Chicago who runs a free virtual learning program for high school boys, I believe from 10:15-11:15 Chicago time. If anyone wants the info, let me know and I should be able to track it down.

Please!!

number

Post Mon, Jul 20 2020, 10:30 pm
My kids are younger and they do music lessons during the 3 weeks, though we won’t do the week of tisha b’av. We did clubs on lessonface during COVID. It’s open to anyone and my kids didn’t love the diversity of the class but in my experience there was no socialization, just learning. They did classes on out school as well.

Are you in Lakewood? Someone was advertising a virtual bookbinding and shtender building course. I think the ad was in the shopper.

Amarante

Post Mon, Jul 20 2020, 10:39 pm
You could probably find a chess tutor to either help advance his game or just play with him or someone on his level just to have competitive fun with.

You could contact your a chess organization to locate someone.

What are his other interests? There are a lot of on-line activities that have been set up for every age group specifically because of pandemic restrictions on ordinary activities.

Kumphort

Post Mon, Jul 20 2020, 10:52 pm
My son ended up going away but was looking into this as an idea
https://www.kiwico.com/eureka

doctorima

Post Mon, Jul 20 2020, 11:02 pm
Here's a link for a virtual chess camp for kids run by a frum International Master (that's one step below Grandmaster): https://www.yaacovchess.com/camp

Hashem_Yaazor - I'll PM you the Zoom info for the program I mentioned. I don't know if it's meant to be posted publicly. If anyone else wants it as well, feel free to PM me.

number

Post Mon, Jul 20 2020, 11:03 pm
Kumphort wrote:
My son ended up going away but was looking into this as an idea
https://www.kiwico.com/eureka
I thought about getting it for my kids as well. It’s a weeks worth of activities and has great reviews.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Child-related inquiries