Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Changing last name

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 8:11 am
Hey y’all. I started changing my last name to my married name right before Covid shut down the world. I successfully changed my social. I want to change my other legal documents (license, passport, credit cards, what else?), but I am still scared to go anywhere. I haven’t gotten sick with Covid, and I don’t intend to any time soon.
Is there a way to do it online or via mail? Or do I need to wait forever now?

happy chick

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 8:15 am
Passport can be done by mail (if the old is not yet expired or within 6 mos of expiration). Drivers license you must go to the DMV (unless they changed their protocol due to covid). Credit cards should be a call to the company.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 8:15 am
happy chick wrote:
Passport can be done by mail (if the old is not yet expired or within 6 mos of expiration). Drivers license you must go to the DMV (unless they changed their protocol due to covid). Credit cards should be a call to the company.

Great! Thank you! I’ll get started today

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 9:12 am
How’d you change your social? I also need to do this now.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 9:18 am
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
How’d you change your social? I also need to do this now.

Brought my marriage license, ID, birth certificate, and old social card to the SS office. Took 20 minutes from when I stepped foot into the building to when I stepped foot out.
There’s a form to fill out that you can do online if you want it to take even shorter. I filled it out at the office.
New card came in the mail 5 days later.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 9:25 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Brought my marriage license, ID, birth certificate, and old social card to the SS office. Took 20 minutes from when I stepped foot into the building to when I stepped foot out.
There’s a form to fill out that you can do online if you want it to take even shorter. I filled it out at the office.
New card came in the mail 5 days later.

Which office if you live in Brooklyn?

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 9:39 am
Huh. I'm married 20 years and never got a new social card. I changed it when I got married on the license, and if I need to show my card, I bring the marriage license.

SuperWify

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 9:42 am
My social was changed immediately but I didn’t change my passport yet (it’s been 4 years). I see no reason in paying the extra $100+ for a new one. When I travel we use my maiden name. It’s completely legal.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 9:43 am
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
Which office if you live in Brooklyn?

The one on Pierrepont street. There’s a parking garage around the corner.
I can’t remember if I set up an appointment beforehand.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 9:53 am
SuperWify wrote:
My social was changed immediately but I didn’t change my passport yet (it’s been 4 years). I see no reason in paying the extra $100+ for a new one. When I travel we use my maiden name. It’s completely legal.

Ya there’s no problem at all going by your maiden name! I know it’s legal. I just want my last name changed already. Less confusing.
P.s I also like my married name better than my maiden name.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 9:57 am
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
Huh. I'm married 20 years and never got a new social card. I changed it when I got married on the license, and if I need to show my card, I bring the marriage license.

You totally don’t need to. My sister in law still goes by her maiden name, which is my soon-to-be-legally-married-name, and she’s married 20 years. So funny cuz we work in the same facility, and when I was explaining to my coworkers that my real married name is “X”, they were like “omg just like [my dear SIL]! Is that a common Jewish last name?” And I was like “lol she’s my SIL. I just got married to her brother”. And they were all confused because how can we have the same last name if we are married to different men? LOL
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries