Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
WoW thread has been removed
Previous  1  2

smile12345

Post Wed, Jul 22 2020, 8:45 am
giselle wrote:
I feel like there was a discussion recently about why these comments are being allowed now, but I can’t recall where.

Yes, I saw it now on the same thread linked by imasoftov:

Yael wrote:
I see that there is understandably some confusion regarding my banning of discussions of racism 12 years ago and the fact that we do seem to allow discussions about racism currently.

Discussions of racism are not the same as racist comments. Racist comments have always been prohibited from our inception 16 years ago, until today. I thought that was obvious so I mistakenly didn’t emphasize it. Discussions about what constitutes racism is an intellectual discussion worth having only as long as it can remain civilized and without racist comments.

Back in 2008 before racism was declared “a discussion not worth having” we had a woman of color on Imamother who felt hurt by the discussions about what would be considered racism. To protect her feelings I made that announcement. Imamother was a lot smaller then and was run differently.

Currently Imamother has many more members from every walk of life and dynamics have shifted to allow for the ability to discuss what would constitute racism. We continue to value our members of color and appreciate what their unique points of view can add to the discussion. We have slowly been allowing discussions of what constitutes racism to return on condition they remain free of racist comments.

Discussions and open conversations are the best method of education and gaining knowledge about others. Shutting down discussions prevents our members from learning new things. My hope is for all Imamother women to gain knowledge necessary to improve in our interactions with those who appear different than us.

2cents

Post Wed, Jul 22 2020, 8:52 am
giselle wrote:
I’m not sure what happened with Footsteps and why it was banned, but you can read about Tanya here.

https://www.imamother.com/foru.....38384

Oh my.

Rappel

Post Wed, Jul 22 2020, 8:54 am
banana123 wrote:
So that would be Elokisten, not Meshichisten.

Thanks for the explanations. Smile

Can we talk about their philosophy then? Smile

@Yael?

In general, I often wonder about imamother's moderation policies. Direct attacks should clearly be taken down. However, respectful, well-sourced, and philosophical discussion would seem to be in line with the site's aims, no matter what the topic.

Thoughts?

watergirl

Post Wed, Jul 22 2020, 10:00 am
It is really frustrating when people comment on a thread that they are about to say something they know is going to cause the thread to be locked but.... and then say it. And then derail the thread to continue to have a conversation you know is not allowed. Please realize, the mods are all volunteers who are finding time in our busy lives to help Yael with her site because we believe in what this site is accomplishing. Wasting our time like this is just not cool. If you REALLY want to talk about it, pm Yael to ask her to allow the conversation. I've removed problematic posts. Do not waste our time for funsies. Thanks.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics