Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
What's the most delicious thing you had as a guest?

imorethanamother

Post Mon, Jul 20 2020, 5:26 pm
Sometimes I feel like the worst cook. I'm easily distracted so my stuff burns, or I'm not into making a huge patchke item so I just...don't. There are two families that I wish would invite me more, they always make the most amazing food.

Maybe I'm feeling creative, maybe I'm ready to up my game. What's the most amazing food item you've had at someone else's house that you were either desperate to re-create, or knew without a doubt that there was no way you'd have time for THAT.

For me? A meal where the dessert was a dobush torte. I looked up the recipe and nearly fainted.

zoom

Post Mon, Jul 20 2020, 5:28 pm
Hahah! I like this thread.
I cant think of anything right now, but im following!

WitchKitty

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 3:54 am
I once had kusa machshi at a sfardi family. It's pretty much stuffed zucchini but with interesting spices and the most amazing sauce.
I wish I could go to them one more time to taste it just once more..
I would make it- I managed to get the recipe from an Arab I work with- but I'm pretty sure I'll never get it to taste as authentic.

Frumme

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 11:40 am
Zweibel kugel with creamy mushroom sauce. Basically fresh and seasoned mashed potatoes wrapped in a thin, crispy homemade dough crust (like a huge potato knish) with a very rich, dairy free mushroom gravy sauce.

I could probably make it without too much trouble since the ingredients are easy to find + inexpensive. Just a lot of steps and I've never gotten around to it....

SuperWify

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 12:07 pm
WitchKitty wrote:
I once had kusa machshi at a sfardi family. It's pretty much stuffed zucchini but with interesting spices and the most amazing sauce.
I would make it- I managed to get the recipe from an Arab I work with- but I'm pretty sure I'll never get it to taste as authentic.

Yum. My mom makes it. Was the sauce sweet?

Jeanette

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 12:09 pm
When I was in sem I ate by my friend’s sister a lot on Shabbos. she served zucchini stuffed with rice in the cholent. And it wasn’t mushy—it was actually a bit crispy and delicious. I’ve never been able to figure out how to do that.

Oh, and cholent autocorrects to cholesterol. 🤣 🤣

imorethanamother

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 12:47 pm
WitchKitty wrote:

That sounds amazing! I need sefardi friends. I once had some kind of chickpea stew thing at a Persian acquaintances house, but she admitted her mother in law made it. It was delicious. I don’t remember what it’s called.

I’ve tried to make tahdig and I never get the crust right.

imorethanamother

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 12:48 pm
Frumme wrote:
Zweibel kugel with creamy mushroom sauce. Basically fresh and seasoned mashed potatoes wrapped in a thin, crispy homemade dough crust (like a huge potato knish) with a very rich, dairy free mushroom gravy sauce.

I could probably make it without too much trouble since the ingredients are easy to find + inexpensive. Just a lot of steps and I've never gotten around to it....

Reminds me of my years in Israel when there were borekas with mushroom sauce. I’ve never had it here since and I think I gained twenty pounds from that stuff. Yum!!!

How was the sauce warm? Was it on shabbos?

imorethanamother

Post Wed, Jul 22 2020, 3:27 pm
bump

WitchKitty

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 3:28 am
imorethanamother wrote:
How was the sauce warm? Was it on shabbos?

I keep it warm in a bag hanging in a pot of water on the blech.

SuperWify wrote:
Yum. My mom makes it. Was the sauce sweet?

It was sweet and salty together. Can't describe it.

DrMom

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 3:51 am
Some very well-prepared appetizer made from sugar-cured raw white fish, radish, and all sorts of herbs, thinly drizzled with some sort of light creamy sauce.

I have no idea what it was exactly, but it was amazing.

DrMom

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 3:52 am
Jeanette wrote:
Oh, and cholent autocorrects to cholesterol. 🤣 🤣

Rolling Laughter

busy mommy

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 7:29 am
I once are by someone who served a type of warm marinated mushrooms. I called her after shabbos for the recipe thinking it would be easy to make but no! So many ingredients and steps

SuperWify

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 7:35 am
WitchKitty wrote:
It was sweet and salty together. Can't describe it.

Here’s a fake oou recipe. Oou is the basis of many Syrian dishes.

Prune butter
Lemon juice
Ketchup
Cinnamon
Sour salt
Water
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus