Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Abuse in group residence for people with disabilities

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 10:07 am
A counselor in a group home was recently arrested for abusing one of the individuals in the house. This abuse has been going on for a while but the parents were not aware of it happening and the counselor would not have been arrested if there wouldnt have been a video as these things get shoved under the rug. While this happened in a non-Jewish residence, abuse and neglect happens in the Jewish residences as well. Please be on top of it and dont allow anyone to sweet talk you into believing that everything is ok. Ask for all the complaints if possible because some counselors do speak up and complain but they are the ones who get fired (even though its retaliation and illegal) while the abusers continue working with the vulnerable individuals in the house. This is a multi-million dollar business so some agencies only care about the money while looking the other way when it comes to the well being of the individuals in their care. Hopefully, things will change and vulnerable people will no longer be abused or neglected but that is up to you parents to hold the agencies accountable.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/new.....Z8VNQ

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 12:12 pm
I know. It scares me sometimes.
all we can do is trust. and hope. and daven hard.
A little gratitude and 'bribery' (chocolate, coffee, nothing major) goes a long way. maintaining constant contact with the staff also goes a long way. Still we're not ever 100% guaranteed.
Also, the agency running the home needs a good reputation and a good reporting system.

ShishKabob

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 12:16 pm
It's heartbreaking! That's why if its possible to send a child only to a 'jewish' group home where mostly jewish people work, that are rachmanim bnei rachmanim. Here in Monsey, they have some fantastic Hamaspik and Bikur Cholim homes. I'm always amazed at how much care and love goes around. You have to daven for siyaatta dishmaya especially with these things.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics