Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Masks in schools in September
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

flowerpower

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 4:57 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
I wear it, but that means I limit myself from going anywhere because it literally makes me feel sick and gives me breathing difficulty. My DS said that he’s never going shopping with me again because he can’t handle the feeling. How in heavens name would he manage in school?

Same! I don’t take my kids anywhere nor do I go places because of this. We are reallllly homebound these days.

Mothers

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 5:03 pm
flowerpower wrote:
Same! I don’t take my kids anywhere nor do I go places because of this. We are reallllly homebound these days.

You may want to work on desensitizing both yourself and your children - because this may be the new normal, until an effective vaccine is developed. With a good attitude and strong determination, you can make it work and not need to be restricted to your house.

(Keep in mind that a large part of kids’ attitude towards something is modeled after their parents’ attitude. . .)

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 5:07 pm
momsrus wrote:
This is against what we've been told. Masks protect others from you when you wear them.

Yes, but not entirely true. Im a nurse who has been working with covid since it began. We are always reading the new studies that come out...it is true that the masks help primarily by protecting others from you. BUT it is also true that the mask protects you, to a certain degree, from others.

Whats important to understand is that in order to become infected with the virus, you need to be exposed to a certain threshhold of "viral load". So if it takes "10000" parts virus to infect you, and you only were exposed to "6,000", then you wont get sick.

Its been demonstrated in multiple studies that even if the mask does not keep out all (or 95%) of the virus the way an N95 mask does, the basic cloth and surgical masks that laypeople are wearing ARE enough to keep a nice portion out. So even if youre exposed to someone else who is contagious, your mask may prevent you from caching it simply because it minimized the viral load.

So yes.

Wearing a mask DOES protect you as well.

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 5:16 pm
fleetwood wrote:
Hope the camp doesn't get shutdown.

In NY campers within their own <15 kid bunk don’t have to wear masks. I’m working in a camp. Apparently ppl are calling the health dept to complain about the kids they see outside without masks, and that’s what the inspector tells them.

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 5:28 pm
interesting we wear masks and do whatever we can to protect.

that said, so confusing because if these masks are not medical grade or n95 how effective are they really?

thats when I start wondering about risk benefit analysis...we still do it but not sure how effective it is.

and while e I am happy not to be breathing in peoples faces and vice versa I really don't know how it will work for kids all day one mask...still better than remote. we are all in favor of opening with protocols shown to work successfully IY"H.

(I feel bad many kids have said they feel as if Hashem is punishing us for doing something or for not doing something...yes we have straightened that out and made it teachable moments still clearly something that needs to be addressed as many kids--different ages, both genders, different communities-- are coming up with this on their own)

flowerpower

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 6:02 pm
Mothers wrote:
You may want to work on desensitizing both yourself and your children - because this may be the new normal, until an effective vaccine is developed. With a good attitude and strong determination, you can make it work and not need to be restricted to your house.

(Keep in mind that a large part of kids’ attitude towards something is modeled after their parents’ attitude. . .)

My kids don’t complain and I don’t complain to them either. I have a hard time breathing in general and with heat. Add a mask to the mix and it’s really difficult.

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 6:21 pm
Regardless of the rules, realistically speaking it will not work. Children will not keep their masks on all day, every day.
Who will be enforcing the rules? The teachers? They will be busy all day telling kids to put on/pull up their masks?

amother [ Mint ] wrote:
Yes, but not entirely true. Im a nurse who has been working with covid since it began. We are always reading the new studies that come out...it is true that the masks help primarily by protecting others from you. BUT it is also true that the mask protects you, to a certain degree, from others.

Whats important to understand is that in order to become infected with the virus, you need to be exposed to a certain threshhold of "viral load". So if it takes "10000" parts virus to infect you, and you only were exposed to "6,000", then you wont get sick.

Its been demonstrated in multiple studies that even if the mask does not keep out all (or 95%) of the virus the way an N95 mask does, the basic cloth and surgical masks that laypeople are wearing ARE enough to keep a nice portion out. So even if youre exposed to someone else who is contagious, your mask may prevent you from caching it simply because it minimized the viral load.

So yes.

Wearing a mask DOES protect you as well.

Yeah, this was total common sense to me.

I think the reason why they came out with the "masks dont protect you, they protect others" baloney, was to guilt trip people into wearing them- if you dont wear them youre going to kill everyone Rolling Eyes

If a mask blocks your germs from getting to others, then it blocks others germs from getting to you.

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 6:37 pm
I'm shocked by the responses here. I'm a resident physician. I work 80+ hours a week and wear an N95 mask the entire time I'm at work (excluding while sleeping in a private call room or eating) since I have constant exposure to COVID patients. It is uncomfortable, my cheeks burn much of the day, and my nose feels bruised even when I am not wearing the mask. Also I have moderate persistent asthma and do feel short of breath when running up stairs in the mask. Yet we do our part and wear the masks to protect ourselves and most importantly to protect our patients. A soft cotton mask is comfortable. It is not child abuse. It is very little to ask compared to the tremendous sacrifices people are currently making, for children and teachers to wear soft masks while at school.

deena19k

Post Fri, Jul 24 2020, 2:24 am
Im in Israel and my kids have been back in school and now daycamp in masks for a few months already. Its really not a big deal, they got used to it after a few days and dont even notice it anymore. Its become part of their regular routine just like putting on shoes in their morning, they also put on their masks.
Kids are pretty resilient and get used to new stuff quickly...but if their parent is freaking out and making a big deal abt it..then yeah im sure they will too.

Last edited by deena19k on Fri, Jul 24 2020, 7:44 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Indigo

Post Fri, Jul 24 2020, 7:43 am
Our school in not promising that they're opening in person so they are nowhere near discussing masks. Crying

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 2:55 pm
Please stop calling having kids wear masks "child abuse".

Even if it's not your preference or there are good reasons to not do it, it is not "child abuse".

There are actual children, or even actual grown women here, who experienced abuse of various forms as children. This is not child abuse.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 3:15 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
Please stop calling having kids wear masks "child abuse".

Even if it's not your preference or there are good reasons to not do it, it is not "child abuse".

There are actual children, or even actual grown women here, who experienced abuse of various forms as children. This is not child abuse.

I’m not saying whether or not it’s abuse, but abuse does come in many different forms. Maybe that’s why people are ok to call it abuse.

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 3:50 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
I’m not saying whether or not it’s abuse, but abuse does come in many different forms. Maybe that’s why people are ok to call it abuse.

Sure abuse comes in various forms. Kids wearing masks in school isn't any of those forms.

If someone thinks it's ok to call something one doesn't like "abuse", then they don't know what that word means.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 4:45 pm
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:

(I feel bad many kids have said they feel as if Hashem is punishing us for doing something or for not doing something...yes we have straightened that out and made it teachable moments still clearly something that needs to be addressed as many kids--different ages, both genders, different communities-- are coming up with this on their own)

I think that the mosdos need to contact Ohel and Chai Lifeline to have someone speak to the kids, and parents. Hugs, and hatzlacha!

Mothers

Post Fri, Sep 04 2020, 5:13 pm
For those who think it’s abusive and/or can’t be done - watch this:

https://vimeo.com/454856418

amother
Navy

Post Fri, Sep 04 2020, 6:57 pm
Mothers wrote:
For those who think it’s abusive and/or can’t be done - watch this:

https://vimeo.com/454856418

Loved the little kids in it all wearing their masks while they played... I also loved the background music (which I felt was focusing of the positive)... kol hakavod!

amother
Crimson

Post Fri, Sep 04 2020, 7:24 pm
My kids OOT school has been open with masks and kids are all acing it.
It's about the attitude

amother
Royalblue

Post Sat, Sep 05 2020, 2:27 pm
I really can't breathe in a mask. I start to feel like I'm going to faint if I have it on longer than 20 minutes. I really don't know how kids wear it all day. It seems it effects different people differently. My daughter wears it all day in school and says it's no big deal for her, but I worry about her breathing in her own carbon dioxide for so many hours a day. Don't forget this has never been done before, we don't know what the long term effects will be for children who wear masks for so many hours. I hope we all stay safe. Breathing in recycled air for hours sounds like it can be damaging over time. I don't like it.

amother
Babypink

Post Sat, Sep 05 2020, 2:44 pm
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
I really can't breathe in a mask. I start to feel like I'm going to faint if I have it on longer than 20 minutes. I really don't know how kids wear it all day. It seems it effects different people differently. My daughter wears it all day in school and says it's no big deal for her, but I worry about her breathing in her own carbon dioxide for so many hours a day. Don't forget this has never been done before, we don't know what the long term effects will be for children who wear masks for so many hours. I hope we all stay safe. Breathing in recycled air for hours sounds like it can be damaging over time. I don't like it.

It has been done before.
Asian countries where masks during flu season all the time.
Mask wearing is really not a new thing.
People have been wearing masks against plagues for centuries. Literally.

But in modern times places in Asia constantly wear masks

Elfrida

Post Sat, Sep 05 2020, 3:00 pm
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:

A surgical mask isn't airtight, and a cloth mask (which most children seem to be using) is even less so. They are not spending the day rebreathing the same air. Plenty of fresh air gets in and out around the sides, as well as moving through the masks.

The human body is very capable of adapting to a minor change in the proportions of different gases. Air pollution is a huge challenge that our bodies cope with all the time. A slightly higher proportion of carbon dioxide is minor by comparison.
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics