Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Should I give her back her paci?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 5:13 pm
My daughter started sucking her thumb when she was very young, she wasn't interested in a paci at that point.
When she was already two, she started showing interest in a paci, and I let her start using it since I thought better that then sucking her thumb, since a paci she will eventually grow out of whereas I know adults who are still sucking their thumb.
She's now already 4 and very attached to her paci, using it often during the day as well eventhough I've tried to set rules that it's only for at night. She lost it today and we decided we're not going to buy another one, we might as well us this opportunity to train her to manage without it.
It took her a few hours to fall asleep, and she finally did now - but with her thumb in her mouth. She hasn't sucked her thumb at all the past couple of years and I really don't want her to get back into that habit. So I need some advice - which is the lesser of the two evils? Should I buy her a new paci or let her start sucking her thumb again?

Please advise!!!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 6:36 pm
Anyone?

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 7:18 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My daughter started sucking her thumb when she was very young, she wasn't interested in a paci at that point.
When she was already two, she started showing interest in a paci, and I let her start using it since I thought better that then sucking her thumb, since a paci she will eventually grow out of whereas I know adults who are still sucking their thumb.
She's now already 4 and very attached to her paci, using it often during the day as well eventhough I've tried to set rules that it's only for at night. She lost it today and we decided we're not going to buy another one, we might as well us this opportunity to train her to manage without it.
It took her a few hours to fall asleep, and she finally did now - but with her thumb in her mouth. She hasn't sucked her thumb at all the past couple of years and I really don't want her to get back into that habit. So I need some advice - which is the lesser of the two evils? Should I buy her a new paci or let her start sucking her thumb again?

Please advise!!!

Pacifier is way better in my opinion, but you need to stick to your rules. Only for bed time. $ of my kids used pacifiers, byt he time they were 3-4 we told them we were going to trade in the pacifier for a toy of their choice. The 5th child sucked her thumb in utero - no matter how hard we tried- no pacifier. She had an amazing teacher in pre-k who got her to stop and gave her a koosh ball to use instead of her thumb- it was magic. Then we moved and she had a terrible K teacher and the thumb went back in- finally by 5th grade dentist put in appliance to stop her thumb sucking. dd is now 20- I hope she doesn't suck her thumb anymore- but her teeth are straight : ).

thatworn

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 7:23 pm
Dummy, thumb, whatever keeps her happy. Set boundaries, if possible - encourage her to keep it for sleeping only and enjoy the fact that she's sleeping happily. A well rested child is a happy child.
Sorry, I am not parent of the year. This is just my opinion.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics