Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Great comebacks you thought of too late
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7

Einikel

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 9:41 pm
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
When people ask what's wrong with my autistic son, I'm always tempted to say, "Does Hashem make mistakes? So how could something be wrong with him?"
My oldest had terrible eczema as a baby. MIL once said that she gets nauseous looking at him. I said, "If that's the case, we won't come anymore."
MIL used to drive me crazy that I should put autistic ds in a group home. She stopped when I said that we're looking into nursing homes for her.
Once when MIL was going on about how ds is an embarrassment to the family and will never accomplish anything with his life (while ds was sitting right in front of her crying,) I told my nonverbal kid that when he is valedictorian at his college graduation, he needs to start his speech by saying, "Savti, you were wrong!"
When people complain that ds is too loud, I'm tempted to tell him that he's not loud enough. Once, when someone was giving me a hard time about his volume, I said that he communicates through sounds, and I will never tell him to hold back his communication.
Last year, some people in my building started a rumor that I lock ds on the porch all night, and that he keeps screaming "Mommy, mommy," but I ignore him. When confronted with that rumor, I said that I want to meet the person who heard him say, mommy. If I ever hear him say mommy, you can guarantee that I won't ignore him.

OMG your MIL sounds awful!

BH Yom Yom

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 9:53 pm
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
Totally giving myself away here.... my 6 year old DD is super confident and has a very healthy self esteem BH. This year she decided she wanted to donate her hair to cancer children. We made a whole thing out of it and she looked adorable in her bob. First day back at school with her short hair a girl in her class started making fun of her that she looks like a bubby. Without missing a beat, my little 6 year old pushes her glasses down her nose and says “hello my dear grandchildren!” No one ever said a word about her short hair again. I’m super proud of her and wish I had an ounce of her self confidence....

Wow!! Super impressive, especially that she was able to come up with that on the spot! Applause

amother
Firebrick

Post Fri, Jun 19 2020, 12:50 am
Q. Mind if I smoke?

A. I don't care if you burn

I forget the context here. I think it's from an old play. But the line stayed with me

amother
Copper

Post Fri, Jun 19 2020, 1:02 am
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
Totally giving myself away here.... my 6 year old DD is super confident and has a very healthy self esteem BH. This year she decided she wanted to donate her hair to cancer children. We made a whole thing out of it and she looked adorable in her bob. First day back at school with her short hair a girl in her class started making fun of her that she looks like a bubby. Without missing a beat, my little 6 year old pushes her glasses down her nose and says “hello my dear grandchildren!” No one ever said a word about her short hair again. I’m super proud of her and wish I had an ounce of her self confidence....

I wouldn’t put such pressure on a little child even if she is confident. It’s too much. You never know. Children change

amother
Mint

Post Fri, Jun 19 2020, 1:17 am
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
I wouldn’t put such pressure on a little child even if she is confident. It’s too much. You never know. Children change

What pressure?

piegirl

Post Fri, Jun 19 2020, 2:46 am
I’d love a reply for this situation, which has happened twice with the same (single) guy.
Walks into my house on a long shabbos afternoon and comments “wow, what a mess!”
I have 4 kids. It’s 5 pm on shabbos and there’s no eruv for my kids to play outside. Grated on my nerves.

amother
Violet

Post Fri, Jun 19 2020, 4:01 am
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
I know TMI
Couldn't help myself. It just bothered me so much, dh didn't seem to understand or care, so I took matters into my own hands. My mil still has no idea.

I know other people say that was rude but I think that was spot on. No one called my child to wish him happy birthday last week. They texted me to tell him. That’s just crazy, and I’m the first person to let things slide.

amother
Royalblue

Post Fri, Jun 19 2020, 4:10 am
amother [ Copper ] wrote:

Um... where was I putting any pressure?

amother
Seagreen

Post Fri, Jun 19 2020, 4:15 am
piegirl wrote:
I’d love a reply for this situation, which has happened twice with the same (single) guy.
Walks into my house on a long shabbos afternoon and comments “wow, what a mess!”
I have 4 kids. It’s 5 pm on shabbos and there’s no eruv for my kids to play outside. Grated on my nerves.

"...and you're just on time to help with the clean-up!"

amother
Mint

Post Fri, Jun 19 2020, 4:30 am
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
"...and you're just on time to help with the clean-up!"

If you want to be more mean and manipulative, you can thank him for volunteering.

amother
Bronze

Post Fri, Jun 19 2020, 7:48 am
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
I know other people say that was rude but I think that was spot on. No one called my child to wish him happy birthday last week. They texted me to tell him. That’s just crazy, and I’m the first person to let things slide.

Thank you for understanding.

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, Jun 19 2020, 8:16 am
I once had a older single guy sleep at my house for shabbos. I had a baby who would literally cry all night... our guest room is in another part of the house and when my baby is in my room with the door closed, guests couldn’t hear anything. when he came back from his meal on Friday night I had the baby downstairs rocking him in the stroller but I was really on my way up. Guest starting schmoozing with me and wouldn’t stop talking, trying to be heard over crying baby. He kept talking and talking..When he finally realized the baby was screaming he asked if this was going to go on all night... I felt like telling him that any minute I’m expecting my toddler to wake up and start crying too! He looked annoyed with the crying so I just answered that it will be quiet soon. When I was upstairs with baby in my room I was thinking that I should have just answered that yes, this usually does go on all night and he might want to find other accommodations...
( I was feeling bad for myself because I was exhausted that Friday night, dh was sleeping as usual, I spent time during the day getting guest room ready.. and all he cared about was that he gets a good sleep! Of course no one in the world would care about me struggling with a colicky baby...)
After that incident I decided that I’m not having any guests for at least 10 years!

raich

Post Fri, Jun 19 2020, 8:57 am
piegirl wrote:

"Iy"H by you!"

amother
Papaya

Post Fri, Jul 24 2020, 2:30 am
Someone asked me if I'm pregnant again or just fat, I told her I inherited her genes- she is a relative of mine, who always looks pregnant
Page 7 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 Recent Topics