Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Fish
Sweet and Sour Salmon

attorney2b

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 8:31 am
Does anyone have a good recipe for a sweet and sour type salmon that's easy and baked (not cooked in a pot?)

MiriFr

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 9:34 am
What do you have in mind by “sweet and sour”? Like a sticky sauce, or a pickled type?

cholentfan1

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 9:51 am
The sweet tangy salmon recipe in the beis yaakov cookbook is really nice and easy to make. I don't have the book now to give the actual recipe but I've often made it and always had loads of compliments. It's something along the lines of basic spices-garlic, pepper etc, lemon juice, oil, and I think maybe ketchup? Mix it all together, pour over salmon and bake.
If I get a chance later I'll try to post the recipe...

attorney2b

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 10:01 am
Thanks that'd be much appreciated.

oneofakind

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 10:34 am
Mine: prep pan, make sure salmon is fully defrosted, preheat oven 425, slice onion and place in pan
Boil water, pour into pan, add sugar enough tht as you stir to dissolve it, it gets a bit syrupy or thickens, add dill, bay leaf, lemon juice, some vinegar, place salmon in pan, cover
20 minutes. If it's not fully cooked, add another 5 minutes.

cholentfan1

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 12:12 pm
Here's the recipe...

Sweet and Tangy Salmon

6 (4oz) salmon fillets
salt
ground pepper
garlic powder
onion powder
2tbs oil
2tbs lemon juice or juice from 1 medium lemon
2 tbs apricot jam
1 tbs ketchup
1/2 tbs soy sauce
optional 1 tbs duck sauce

put salmon in dish. season with salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder.
Mix in a small bowl oil, lemon juice, apricot jam, ketchup, soy sauce (and duck sauce if using). Pour sauce over salmon. Bake 10 mins covered, uncover and bake until tender and flaky, approx 10 more mins...

Cheiny

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 12:58 pm
oneofakind wrote:
Mine: prep pan, make sure salmon is fully defrosted, preheat oven 425, slice onion and place in pan
Boil water, pour into pan, add sugar enough tht as you stir to dissolve it, it gets a bit syrupy or thickens, add dill, bay leaf, lemon juice, some vinegar, place salmon in pan, cover
20 minutes. If it's not fully cooked, add another 5 minutes.

I think people would appreciate measurements.

attorney2b

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 4:15 pm
Thanks everyone.

Yes, measurements would be great. Can't wait to try the recipes!

shmoosh

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 6:31 pm
Sauté onions and pour sweet and sour duck sauce on top. Bake about 40 minutes on 350. First 2” minutes covered, next 20 minutes uncovered. If you don’t have time, just leave out the onions and it still tastes great

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 8:27 pm
2 recipes from here:
Sweet and sour salmon
Saute large onion in oil and 1 cup sugar. Add 3 and a half cups water, third cup lemon juice, 6 T sugar, drop of salt. Boil. Add salmon. Cook covered on low flame 40 min

Pickled Salmon
1 cup vinegar
2 cups water
1 onion, sliced round
3/4 cup sugar
1 Tbsp salt
1 tsp whole cloves
9 bay leaves

Bring water to a boil. Add vinegar and onion. Cook for 15-20 minutes. Add sugar, salt, cloves and 6 bay leaves. Cook for another 5 minutes.
Add salmon. Cook for 12 minutes. Turn off flame. Add 3 bay leaves.

Note about cooking any salmon: Allow the salmon to cool completely before trying to handle it. Otherwise it will break apart. Once completely cooled (or even cold), use disposable gloves to transer salmon out of the pot. Using utensils instead might also make the salmon fall apart.

rising hero

Post Fri, Jul 24 2020, 10:12 am
1 small onion, diced
1/4 c brown sugar
3 tbsp lemon juice
1/3 cup water
2 bay leaves

Sauté onion until soft, add brown sugar. Cook until liquidy. Add lemon juice, water and fish. Cover and cook for 10 minutes. Add bay leaves. Cook for an additional 20 minutes.

I make the lazy version of this recipe. I dont saute the onions. I mix the onions sugar and lemon juice lay the salmon on top and add the bay leaves and sometimes I put cloves too if you go for it. I also bake it instead of cooking. 350 covered for 40 minutes I dont add water I find its too much sauce.
You can also switch up brown sugar to white and lemon juice to vinegar. Add or subtract bay leaves and cloves to your liking.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics