Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Is it safe to walk on the 70?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 11:54 am
?

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 12:11 pm
No. It’s a highway

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 12:30 pm
No

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 12:32 pm
Sometimes you don't have a choice... like when you don't drive and you need to get somewhere off the 70. Don't walk on the street, but during the day you can walk on the grass next to it, or on the shoulder. At night, only on the grass because it's dark and they can't see you.

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 12:39 pm
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
Sometimes you don't have a choice... like when you don't drive and you need to get somewhere off the 70. Don't walk on the street, but during the day you can walk on the grass next to it, or on the shoulder. At night, only on the grass because it's dark and they can't see you.

I can’t imagine it’s preferable not to drive and to put yourself in danger.

Maybe we should start a thread on the roads in Lakewood that are really not safe to walk on/cross in middle of the street.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 1:16 pm
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
I can’t imagine it’s preferable not to drive and to put yourself in danger.

Maybe we should start a thread on the roads in Lakewood that are really not safe to walk on/cross in middle of the street.

Ill start, if there is no sidewalk thats a pretty obvious sign you should be walking there. Ex: corner of the 9 and chestnut in all directions.

Lakee

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 1:22 pm
Do u mean for like Friday night to go to the mikvah? I have done it with my husband

Simple1

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 1:22 pm
That's why a car or even 2 cars is a necessity in Lakewood. People who don't drive use Lakeway or iRide.

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 1:37 pm
No it's a. State highway with a high speed limit and no sidewalks. It wasn't built to safely accommodate pedestrians.

esther36

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 2:46 pm
No!!! And neither is route 9 when there are no sidewalks! I wish the real estate agents would make it very clear to all the women who move here from NY and tell them that it's not like 13th or Lee avenue. It's a complete sakana when they try to cross with baby carriages and kids in tow and there are speeding cars zooming by....

amother
Blush

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 3:04 pm
And the grass is often high on the side of the highway (I've seen women walking there) and full of ticks so it isn't safe either.

stillnewlywed

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 3:16 pm
No this is not Boro Park!

amother
Teal

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 3:32 pm
I’m so happy someone started this thread! Can people please make others aware how dangerous it is, and TELL YOUR KIDS! I literally almost ran a kid over on a bike while turning onto Broadway ave (by evergreen grocery) Bec he rode right out onto the street from the forest there and I had no way of seeing him.

People who moved here from the city, please learn the rules of walking / bike riding on busy roads. Please teach your kids the basic rules of safety. Please tell them not to stand in the shoulder of the road for rides where people turn because they have no vision of them.

Don’t ride on your bike across roads.
Get off your bike, look around and then cross- all while being OFF your bike!

And ladies, PLEASE PLEASE GET OFF YOUR CELL PHONE WHILE WALKING! It is very easy to get distracted talking on the phone and not look before crossing over or not realize there is a car behind you.
I’m literally begging everyone I don’t want any accidents to happen Chas Vashalom!!

What happens with the traffic here by rt 9 between evergreen and chestnut is literally heart stopping. I live in the area and every day I see so many almost accidents. Hashem should watch out and protect us all- but please be careful!

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 3:52 pm
I was driving on the 9 a little past evergreen (closer to kimball) and a boy just rode right in front of my car as I was driving. It was terrifying. I almost killed him and myself in the process of slamming on my break. I guess on the positive side we were right near the hospital.

And don’t even get me started on the hitchhikers. Or the people walking in the street wearing black at night.

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 4:01 pm
I agree. The pedestrians and bikers going where they don’t belong is very very scary.

Also people transplanting from Brooklyn need to learn to let up on the gas and the horn. I saw a cop yelling and swearing at a frum person for excess honking, saying “we don’t drive that way in this town!”

It’s good everyone feels welcome here. It’s still not nyc Smile

bnm

Post Fri, Jul 24 2020, 10:48 am
No. where would you be walking?!?! Are they adding sidewalks with the Vermont extension?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries