Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Thomas Edison State college
Previous  1  2

bigmomma

Post Sun, May 06 2012, 11:34 am
What would the difference be between Thomas Edison and Empire State College? Is it that Empire State College requires you to take 32 credits with them or would there be other differences?

bigmomma

Post Sun, May 06 2012, 12:17 pm
Questions for sky: My son wants to get a BS in Computer Science. Does Thomas Edison only issue a BA in Computer Science? Which one did you get? Is there a big difference between the BA and the BS in computer science? Do you have to take any classes at all with Thomas Edison to get a degree from them??

merelyme

Post Sun, May 06 2012, 12:32 pm
bigmomma wrote:
What would the difference be between Thomas Edison and Empire State College? Is it that Empire State College requires you to take 32 credits with them or would there be other differences?

Also, Empire State College is a New York State college. Thomas Edison is a New Jersey college. There's a big difference in what you pay if you go to an out-of-state college. If you're based in NY, it's much cheaper to go to Empire, and the opposite if you're based in NJ.

bigmomma

Post Sun, May 06 2012, 12:47 pm
This is true if you are planning to actually planning to take courses through Thomas Edison or Empire State. But what if you plan to bring your cleps and college credits to them to combine into a degree? Empire State does not grant a degree in Computer Science where as Thomas Edison does.

JollyMommy

Post Sun, May 06 2012, 1:16 pm
If you need help with statistics (or anything really) go to www.khanacademy.org it has FREE lessons on all kinds of subjects. You'll thank me.

amother

Post Sun, May 06 2012, 7:56 pm
I did it through Maalot, but was unable to get into a social work school. They are very competitive and know what it is.

merelyme

Post Sun, May 06 2012, 7:56 pm
bigmomma wrote:
This is true if you are planning to actually planning to take courses through Thomas Edison or Empire State. But what if you plan to bring your cleps and college credits to them to combine into a degree? Empire State does not grant a degree in Computer Science where as Thomas Edison does.

Empire State College will only grant a degree that includes a minimum number of credits that are from Empire State College courses - not CLEP, not "college-level learning," not transfer credits.

manhattanmom

Post Sun, May 06 2012, 8:39 pm
A close relative got a BA through Empire State University which is a SUNY school--And she had to take her courses through there--as an exclusive Empire State University student...it is an online college (think like University of Phoenix...) whereas Thomas Edison College (NJ-based) accepts a tremendous amount of seminary credits--regardless of how accredited the seminary is and allows CLEPs, Most of the people who I know who did the program were taking CLEPs which involved a lot of self-study, cramming it in...and many of my friends who did the Thomas Edison programs never had to write a real term-paper....
Also, Empire State University is more widely recognized and accepted. You are given a mentor, and have an actual professor for every class.

Again, I don't have personal experience with either (I went to a regular go to class twice a week college and grad. school) so this whole concept is a bit foreign to me--these are close friends and relatives' experiences.

And re: getting into grad. schools--isn't it easier if you have a relationship with a professor or two--who you did a project for who can write a letter of recommendation for graduate school--I don't know if you get that from clepping.

sky

Post Mon, May 07 2012, 11:51 am
amother wrote:
How does Thomas Edison State College worK? Do you have to take a certain number of courses through them for them to grant you a degree or can you bring lots of credits you aquired elsewhere towards your degree with them???

I didn't take any courses through them.

sky

Post Mon, May 07 2012, 11:56 am
bigmomma wrote:
Questions for sky: My son wants to get a BS in Computer Science. Does Thomas Edison only issue a BA in Computer Science? Which one did you get? Is there a big difference between the BA and the BS in computer science? Do you have to take any classes at all with Thomas Edison to get a degree from them??

I think I got a BA. (I'm not sure where my diploma is). I don't know what they offer.
I didn't take any courses through Thomas Edison. they were from Seminary and various Baltimore community colleges offered in my high school and at Maalot Baltimore and through Cleps.
I was guided through it by Mrs Gross at Maalot in Baltimore who is amazing at figuring all this out. If I remember correctly I used seminary credits, General Education Credits (Science, Math, Language, etc), about 12 programming classes, and then 2nd year seminary courses at Maalot.
I finished 2 years + a summer after graduating high school.

amother

Post Mon, May 07 2012, 6:52 pm
amother wrote:
I did it through Maalot, but was unable to get into a social work school. They are very competitive and know what it is.

which social work program did you try to get into? It may have had nothing to do with Thomas Edison some are hard to get into like Hunter college for example. I got into Wurzweiler no problem.

merelyme

Post Wed, May 30 2012, 12:37 pm
manhattanmom wrote:
A close relative got a BA through Empire State University which is a SUNY school--And she had to take her courses through there--as an exclusive Empire State University student...it is an online college (think like University of Phoenix...) whereas Thomas Edison College (NJ-based) accepts a tremendous amount of seminary credits--regardless of how accredited the seminary is and allows CLEPs, Most of the people who I know who did the program were taking CLEPs which involved a lot of self-study, cramming it in...and many of my friends who did the Thomas Edison programs never had to write a real term-paper....
Also, Empire State University is more widely recognized and accepted. You are given a mentor, and have an actual professor for every class.

Again, I don't have personal experience with either (I went to a regular go to class twice a week college and grad. school) so this whole concept is a bit foreign to me--these are close friends and relatives' experiences.

And re: getting into grad. schools--isn't it easier if you have a relationship with a professor or two--who you did a project for who can write a letter of recommendation for graduate school--I don't know if you get that from clepping.

Empire State has an online program, but also has specific locations, so this description is not entirely accurate. Here's a link to their website: http://www.esc.edu/

sky

Post Wed, May 30 2012, 1:11 pm
amother wrote:
amother wrote:

which social work program did you try to get into? It may have had nothing to do with Thomas Edison some are hard to get into like Hunter college for example. I got into Wurzweiler no problem.

My sister got in to a graduate college with her maalot degree from Thomas Edison for social work. But she didn't get into her first choice, but neither did her friends who didn't go to Maalot and were strong students. The very good programs are hard to get into. And some schools just didn't want a white Jewish girl for example:
School #1 - "We find a lot of the girls from your community have children during the program and that makes it very difficult to complete".
School #2 (a black college): "We are concerned that you will have difficulty fitting into our diverse culture. Can you tell us about your exposure to people not from your community? We also require that you attend class on Saturday."

amother
Gold

Post Sat, Jul 25 2020, 8:56 pm
Just bumping up this thread since I am wondering if anyone knows if Thomas Edison still accepts all transfer credits or are you required to take a minimal amount of courses with them? This is in regards to graduating from TESU through Maalot.

amother
Babypink

Post Sat, Jul 25 2020, 9:41 pm
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
Just bumping up this thread since I am wondering if anyone knows if Thomas Edison still accepts all transfer credits or are you required to take a minimal amount of courses with them? This is in regards to graduating from TESU through Maalot.

I dis exactly that 5 years ago at age 33-35. I went back to college after a long break and had 70 credits from when I was 18/19 and had 70 to go. I live in Baltimore so I did TESU (its a university now) for the rest of the credits via maalot (now WITS). To transfer all of the credits and not take any “in house” at thomas edison, you have to pay them a few thousand extra. Call WITS and speak with Mrs. Ring. She will walk you through all of it.

amother
Slategray

Post Sat, Jul 25 2020, 11:26 pm
JollyMommy wrote:
my Maalot degree is actually from Thomas Edison. I went on for higher education at regular, secular colleges and was accepted at everyone I applied to. it hasn't given me any problems.

Same

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 12:52 am
m0m wrote:
Anyone ever go to or know of the online TESC. Thomas Edison State College has online courses offered- all are I am pretty sure and they accept most credits from all over so I was wondering if anyone has gotten a degree through them or been through their online coursework.

I got my BA through them about 15 years ago.
They did NOT accept all credits from HS and Seminary. Some they did, some were an issue.
But I was able to get into a prestigious grad school with their degree.

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 1:02 am
I live in NY and have to decide between Thomas Edison and Excelsior. (I started my degree at Maalot (TE) 10 years ago and want to continue now but having a hard time communicating with the Israeli office in a timely fashion, so looking at other options)
Any idea how the degree compares with Excelsior College degree?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics