Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Medical exemption for masks + Poll
Previous  1  2  3

Do you wear a mask?
Yes, all the time  
 44%  [ 64 ]
Yes, but only when enforced  
 47%  [ 69 ]
No, no one wears one in my community  
 6%  [ 10 ]
No, I have a medical condition so I am exempt from wearing one  
 0%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 144

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 7:24 pm
InQuarantineWeR wrote:
What's the logic behind this?

Because she believes that in BP probably at least 70% had it/were exposed. She didnt hear of any new cases in months. She wears a mask, for that small chance that there might be a carrier there.

In the non-jewish stores, she has no idea.

So she'd rather have a single barrier in a place where there are probably no carriers, then have a double barrier in a place where who-knows how many carriers there are.

Of course, we cant know anything for sure. But you cant say for sure that southernbubby is safer in a non-jewish store.

InQuarantineWeR

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 7:27 pm
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:
Because she believes that in BP probably at least 70% had it/were exposed. She didnt hear of any new cases in months. She wears a mask, for that small chance that there might be a carrier there.

In the non-jewish stores, she has no idea.

So she'd rather have a single barrier in a place where there are probably no carriers, then have a double barrier in a place where who-knows how many carriers there are.

Of course, we cant know anything for sure. But you cant say for sure that southernbubby is safer in a non-jewish store.

I can see how this might make sense, but the problem is that we still don't know exactly how immunity works. Even assuming 70% of the people had it, how do you know they're still/were ever immune? That's quite a few assumptions being made. Wearing a mask works regardless, so I can't see why it's worse to be around other mask wearers in a regular store.

southernbubby

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 7:27 pm
InQuarantineWeR wrote:
What's the logic behind this?

If the people are immune, then they should not be able to make others sick but I don't think that we can automatically assume that. Some people may be from a hotspot rather than from NYC or Monsey so I prefer to be in places where masks are worn.
Possibly groups of non-Jewish people are still coming down with it and if they are sick, the masks may or may not prevent them from spreading it.

InQuarantineWeR

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 7:30 pm
southernbubby wrote:
If the people are immune, then they should not be able to make others sick but I don't think that we can automatically assume that. Some people may be from a hotspot rather than from NYC or Monsey so I prefer to be in places where masks are worn.
Possibly groups of non-Jewish people are still coming down with it and if they are sick, the masks may or may not prevent them from spreading it.

Right. I'll still take my chances around mask-wearers though. At least we know they work at least a little (and most likely more than a little), compared to not wearing one at all. All it takes is one case for a "New York in March Round 2" scenario.

aliavi

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 7:43 pm
southernbubby wrote:
Ok, a better way of putting it is that there was more mask compliance among the Black people that I personally observed than among the Jews that I personally observed.
It's a scientific fact that the Blacks as a community was hit disproportionately hard by the pandemic.
I take your assertion of my ignorance as an insult and it is the 9 days so please temper down personal insults. There is no place for it here. I do like to insult the anonymous trolls because they are ANONYMOUS!!!!

Insulted is better than ignorance, particularly ignorance that has recently resulted in violence to your fellow yidden. I posted to help educate you as to the offense that could be taken at your words and would suggest you consider not using such phrases ever again. And, I’m not anonymous and calling troll is agains the rules of this site.

southernbubby

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 8:04 pm
aliavi wrote:
Insulted is better than ignorance, particularly ignorance that has recently resulted in violence to your fellow yidden. I posted to help educate you as to the offense that could be taken at your words and would suggest you consider not using such phrases ever again. And, I’m not anonymous and calling troll is agains the rules of this site.

Are you typing with your toes? You keep putting your foot in your mouth.
ETA: you have an interesting way of expressing yourself but it's still an attack so let's table this discussion.
Ladies, is there a way to block harassment?
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics