Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days
Split from not fasting
Previous  1  2

malki2

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 8:39 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Rav Yitzchak Berkowitz in Yerushalayim. It's NOT a blanket heter for everyone but is definitely erring on the side of caution for those with fever, with symptoms, who are dehydrating, some other categories.

That’s fine. But that’s a far cry from the way it was portrayed which was that there are Rabbonim who gave a blanket psak that people shouldn’t fast. Of course there are certain places and certain people to whom this may apply. But definitely not to everyone, and not in places where Covid is not the same threat as it once was.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 8:46 pm
sky wrote:
Is it for ppl already sick? If ppl are dehydrating they normally don’t fast.

I remember reading by taanis esther the rabbanim in Teheran came out to say that no one should fast because covid was so rampant.

I would find it ironic if someone who doesn’t wear a mask or practice SD were not to fast due to this reason.

I think it's for the entire categories. And re dehydrating, I think it's if someone feels s/he's dehydrating, to start drinking.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 9:10 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Tell me how many dead children are acceptable to you, since the nearly 2% death rate doesn't faze you.

"The odds of a kid under the age of 15 dying of #COVID19 are 1 in 1.7 million... but since most kids do NOT suffer from comorbidities those odds move to 1 in 8.5M

"Even with the raw odds kids under 15 have a better chance of getting hit by lightning than dying of #COVID19." --Data expert Justin Hart

And also, "For people younger than 45, the infection fatality rate is almost 0%. For 45 to 70, it is probably about 0.05-0.3%. For those above 70, it escalates substantially, to 1% or higher for those over 85. For frail, debilitated elderly people with multiple health problems who are infected in nursing homes, it can go up to 25% during major outbreaks in these facilities." --Stanford epidemiologist John Ioannidis.

zaq

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 7:53 am
SixOfWands wrote:
Tell me what mortality rate is acceptable to you? Right now, overall, its about 3.5% in the US. Let's say that's overstated by more than 3 times. That its really 1% Who do you think its OK to die? And who is it OK to survive but have lifelong health issues? Do you think people over the age of 50 have lived long enough, its OK to sacrifice them? Shall I name the posters here over the age of 50, and you can let us know which one of us you'd be OK if died?

1% mortality is completely acceptable--until it's YOUR loved one who is in that 1%. For the people who die, the mortality rate is 100%.

malki2

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 8:03 am
zaq wrote:
1% mortality is completely acceptable--until it's YOUR loved one who is in that 1%. For the people who die, the mortality rate is 100%.

Of course 1% is unacceptable. No one said that it was acceptable. We are talking about people for whom the mortality rate is close to nil, and then the question is if these people should fast, when they are completely healthy. A misleading statement was made to the effect that there are leading Rabbonim who pasken that all people should not fast so as not to weaken their immune systems.

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 8:30 am
I've read one of those psakim but it was from a rav in Europe where I believe the Jewish community was extremely affected by covid19.
The directions of who can't fast are very detailed, it's totally not a blanket statement!
(First thing on the list was "anyone who spent some time in the hospital due to covid19...")
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days