Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Are you a runner? in need of tips

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 12:20 pm
so I'm trying to get into it and I'm finding that my chest gets very tight and I can't keep running without stopping after two minutes till my chest relaxes and I can continue. is this normal? I'm definitely breathing (not holding my breath) and my body isn't tired just my chest feels intense pressure so I need to stop. do all runners have that? are there tips to not have that happen?

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 4:15 pm
When I first started running I felt that way too.

I didn’t understand that you have to gradually work your running time up and take frequent walking breaks to increase your lung capacity.

I found a podcast called “couch to 5k” that a guy created to help him go from being a total couch potato to finishing 5K and eventually 10k races.

It breaks down running for beginners by switching up between a few minutes of running with a few minutes of walking over and over again with switches in music (generic electronic/workout music).

I found it incredibly helpful in slowly building up both my lung capacity and my endurance, and even competed in some 5 and 10k races myself!

That was a few years ago, now there are loads of different podcasts like this, even some zombie themed ones with scary music and screaming when you are supposed to run!

The basic idea is: build your lungs up gradually, and take intermittent walking breaks.

Hatzalah rabba!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 10:37 am
this is good advice. thanks.
if you have a name of playlist or tracks with this type of music that I can find on spotify, it would be so appreciated.

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 10:55 am
My internet filter blocks Spotify results for some reason, but if you google these you should find several running apps/podcasts:

- Couch to 5k
- beginner running apps

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 11:11 am
thanks so much.

yiddishmom

Post Tue, Dec 01 2020, 7:03 pm
Attention @63,

I am not the OP.

Shortly after this thread was opened, I began running using the Couch to 5K podcast. BH I successfully completed the 9 weeks program and can now run for 30 minutes. I try to run for 30 minutes 2 - 3 times a week.

But, I still feel like it's really hard for me. I'm curious, after how long did you feel that "you got this" and it wasn't sooo difficult! It's not the breathing, it's the physical exertion. It's so tough on my legs!

Thank you!

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Dec 01 2020, 7:32 pm
yiddishmom wrote:
Attention @63,

I am not the OP.

Shortly after this thread was opened, I began running using the Couch to 5K podcast. BH I successfully completed the 9 weeks program and can now run for 30 minutes. I try to run for 30 minutes 2 - 3 times a week.

But, I still feel like it's really hard for me. I'm curious, after how long did you feel that "you got this" and it wasn't sooo difficult! It's not the breathing, it's the physical exertion. It's so tough on my legs!

Thank you!

I’ve been running five to six days a week, for years, for closer to an hour. Most days I look down and think “it’s only been five minutes?!?”

There are so wonderful days where the time and the miles fly. I will say that most of my friends who are personal trainers say not to run, but to power walk the same distance. I don’t have that kind of time, and I don’t think it’s true.

yiddishmom

Post Tue, Dec 01 2020, 7:40 pm
Ok. You are making me feel good, although it's somewhat disappointing 😉

Just FYI, I was reading that a lot of running depends on the strength of your core. Your legs hold you up, but it's your core which helps propel you forward. So I started working on my core. I can't even do a single push up!

Hopefully once my core is stronger the running will be easier.

dancingqueen

Post Tue, Dec 01 2020, 7:43 pm
yiddishmom wrote:
Attention @63,

I am not the OP.

Thank you!

Running is actually tough on the body. If you want to run you have to make sure to also strengthen and stretch.

yiddishmom

Post Tue, Dec 01 2020, 7:44 pm
dancingqueen wrote:
Running is actually tough on the body. If you want to run you have to make sure to also strengthen and stretch.

What do you mean?

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 8:38 am
The physiology of exercise means that basically the fuel substrates that your metabolism used to produce energy kicks in at different times. The first 6-20 seconds is glycogen ( sort of like a fight/flight response) and then glycogen and fat are both used and after a while you hit fat burning and get to a steady state. In most cases, this is submaximal exercise and there is an oxygen deficit while your body plays catch up.

This is why most people warm up to get to a steady state. Of course steady state can also just be getting to a solid walking speed. And of course everyone has different fitness states, but you aren’t imagining it. It’s physiology.

When I climb my
500 stairs, the first 150 are hardest even though my muscles get more spent as I go. So the first flight I feel like I’m
Dying breathing wise and then it gets better.

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 9:33 am
One of our daughters is a serious runner who coaches running clubs for girls. She says you have to stretch upper torso as well as legs before running. She also says to get REALLY supportive sports bras even if you don’t think you are “endowed”.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise