Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Florist dropped us 3 weeks before the wedding!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 10:46 pm
They "overbooked". We are the furthest for them to travel. So they dropped us!

I didn't evn want them in the first place. I wanted to go local (live oot), but my cousin took over and (with the kallah) decided she would take care of it. Then, when they called my cousin to tell her they couldn't do it, she dropped it back in my lap!

Now my kids and I are scrambling to arrange nice flowers, figure out how to make affordable centerpieces, buy the kallah bouquet, and arrane to transport it all to the location for the wedding. This would have been worked out weeks, if not months ago. Now we have to make rush decisions and I don't have time to run around looking at stuff and comparing prices like I would have.

(And chutzpah-they messaged the kallah today to discuss her bouquet. No way am I using them for that!)

At wits end At wits end

amother
Silver

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 10:50 pm
There isn’t another florist in town? Rather than doing it yourself

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 11:13 pm
The florist was not from town. They were a frum place from a frum area. We live oot. Wedding is 40 minutes away from us. Local florists don't deliver that far. And we dont have time to check out florists near the hall.

kenz

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 11:16 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
They "overbooked". We are the furthest for them to travel. So they dropped us!

I didn't evn want them in the first place. I wanted to go local (live oot), but my cousin took over and (with the kallah) decided she would take care of it. Then, when they called my cousin to tell her they couldn't do it, she dropped it back in my lap!

Now my kids and I are scrambling to arrange nice flowers, figure out how to make affordable centerpieces, buy the kallah bouquet, and arrane to transport it all to the location for the wedding. This would have been worked out weeks, if not months ago. Now we have to make rush decisions and I don't have time to run around looking at stuff and comparing prices like I would have.

(And chutzpah-they messaged the kallah today to discuss her bouquet. No way am I using them for that!)

At wits end At wits end

That would infuriate me too. Iy"h it should be a kaparah and the simcha will go off without (another) hitch!
I think at this point if I were you I would get only the flowers that are absolutely necessary (kallah bouquet, chuppah if you want that, etc.) and skip the centerpieces. You can get something pretty and much less expensive to put on tables without worrying about fresh flowers, or nothing at all. Flowers have become a necessary part of a wedding, but think about it - they really aren't.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 11:16 pm
Where is the wedding? Maybe one of us has another florist for you

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 5:19 am
Do you have anyone coming from (not too far) OOT who could bring you flowers from elsewhere?

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 5:56 am
Try a nursery. There are such beautiful potted plants in nurseries. For my wedding I went to an orchid nursery and ordered a plant for each table (which I then gave away as gifts to people who helped us plan and organize the wedding). Two nights before the wedding my sister and I wrapped decorative material around each pot and tied it with a ribbon. The nursery also sent a bouquet and extra flowers for my hair the morning of the wedding.

It was an easy, affordable option.

thanks

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 7:29 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
The florist was not from town. They were a frum place from a frum area. We live oot. Wedding is 40 minutes away from us. Local florists don't deliver that far. And we dont have time to check out florists near the hall.

They can probably send you pictures so you don't need to go down. It's in their best interest to do a good job and keep a good reputation. Don't sweat the small stuff! Hire someone to meet your budget, and put it off your mind. It might not be exactly as it would have been if you researched, etc., but so what?!

debbie321

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 8:37 am
Oh no! It should be a kapara, and iyh wedding will be so brautiful that you wont even notice!
Do you know of anyone getting married in the wedding hall the night before?
Ive heard of people sharing the flowers from the day before wedding...( you can ask hall for name of people getting married there, and then split the costs with the other family) a lot of florists even come back 2 refrigerate the flowers overnight...
Even of its for some, not all, so that you only have to think about the kallahs bouqet

Otherwise, can you find a place, buy some stuff( not everything, have a diff type pf centerpeice, and with the money yoy didnt spend, offer them extra to deliver even if it is further?
That way it is 1 less thing for you to do for the wedding...

I have heard of people doing Covid weddings sending someone they trust in2 regular stores that sell flowers( like trader joes, nurseries) buying tons and going 2 hall to set up the arrangements.. and weddings were beautiful( tho I would recommend this as a last option)
Please keep us posted! Hatzlacha!

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 9:45 am
Can you ask the wedding hall manager who they've used in the past? They would know which florist would be able to deliver to their venue. Florist can email you pictures of what they plan to do. 3 weeks should still be enough time for aa florist to order the flowers they would need. Ofcourse, its possible it will cost more for a last minute job

Learning

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 10:30 am
I think it’s easier and faster to fit for an hour and search inline and call friends and get a florist instead of doing it yourself. Whoever the florist is it’s better of getting flowers. I can’t even imagine getting flowers by yourself. I was so busy as it is and I can’t imagine putting flowers. It’s just not possible

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 11:45 am
If there was a contract with the first florist, you need to send them a letter stating that they are in breach of the contract, you will mitigate your damages by finding a new florist, and will hold them responsible for any increase in costs. Then do it. Get the best prices you can, then bill them for any difference.

Mazel tov to the couple.

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 11:45 am
Trader Joe’s has a beautiful; affordable selection. White hydrangeas with red roses are simple but stunning. Check Pinterest for easy, quick and beautiful ideas

amother
White

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 11:54 am
Skip the center pieces. People are coming to be mesameach chassan kallah. Just have a bouquet for the kallah. You can always blame it on corona.
Ask the hall if they have some candelabras they can put in center. Me personally, I hate when the centerpieces block the view.

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 12:02 pm
Maybe try calling the hall and finding out who is making the wedding the night before yours. Perhaps you can buy their flowers from them

amother
Green

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 12:12 pm
the yetzer hara is testing you.

yes flowers, no flowers, we are in corona time.
counting bodies...

drop your focus from flowers, see how you can resolve easy with no much energy (ask a relative to be in charge and get home made shoprite flowers? they are beautiful)

and focus on the simcha!!

Thank hashem for everyone being healthy, daven it stays that way

realize flower mishap is a test, and if cv you need an aggrovation, you accept this as the one B Simcha!

Mazal Tov!

ps I would want to remember my mother loving and relaxed before my wedding, not going upset about flowers and spend lots of energy on that. if child care about flowers, focus with them on family connecting and enjoying the simcha, its corona time my friend!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics