Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Machzorim Set - Questions

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 9:43 am
I'm looking to get a machzor set for my daughters bat mitzvah. When I look online they all have options of with stones or without stones, what does that mean? Is it nekudot? Also, is there a way to know which one will be clear and possibly have english instructions...? Any insight would be appreciated

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 10:38 am
Artscroll has a great variety. Does your daughter have any opinions? Some 12 year olds already know they like standard, or interlinear, etc.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 10:38 am
I'm assuming the stones mean for the cover design.

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 10:45 am
The artscroll sets are really good, they come with english and instructions. You can choose from interlinear (where the english is below each hebrew word) or with translation where you have on each double page, one side hebrew and the other english. Which she would prefer is probably personal. They always come with nekudos.
If you look on artscroll's website you can see a preview of the inner pages to get an idea. https://www.artscroll.com/Categories/LSE.html
I would say the pocket size is better than the full size because the full size are quite heavy and big to transport around.
I would just point out that although a machzor may contain instructions, different shuls often do things slightly differently and it may not be the same as it's written. I would say if she's going to shul to go with someone and also to have looked through the machzor before to see where to follow etc. (I speak from bitter experience where I went to shul as a young girl by myself and I had no idea what to do/say and that has affected my interest in davening and going to shul decades later)

Hope that's helpful...

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 11:35 am
In my family we all chip in to buy the Artscroll Machzorim for every Bar/Bas Mitvah boy/girl (unless they choose something else. Most don't.) We get the smaller blue machzor with their name on it (for girls, they sometimes choose to leave their surname off) as it's easier to hold when davening. My girls have been very happy with this choice.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 11:36 am
Thank you all for your input, I will see if she has opinions about it.
That’s funny that the stones just mean on the cover, I thought it has more significance Smile

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 11:40 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
I'm assuming the stones mean for the cover design.

This. Faux-leather book covers studded with rhinestones are the latest thing. I think they're a terrible idea because if the book is crammed into a tight shelf, the stones can scratch or rip the cover of the adjacent volume. Not to mention that stones have a way of falling out over time, and the silvery backings have a way of tarnishing, so that eventually they look like trash. Not a problem if it's a pair of costume earrings you expect to wear for a short while; yes a problem if it's a volume you expect to last a lifetime.

Blessing1

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 12:28 pm
Art scroll has a cute set for girls. Every machzor is a different color. I think you can find it on Eichlers.
I don't like covers with stones for the reasons amother Chartreuse mentioned.

Ahuva's Mommy

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 12:43 pm
We considered the colored Artscrill set for my daughter's Bas Mitzvah, but decided against it because the colors didn't seem very pretty. If the the colors were more pastely and girly, it would have been perfect. Instead Artscroll now makes a faux leather grey that has the Kosel imprinted on it. She loves them!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics