Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Curious-What do you do? Showering 9 days
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 12:14 pm
I’m curious nowadays what are people’s minhagim with showering during the 9 days? I grew up with my family being super strict about it (like not really showering except for shabbos) but I really feel the need to shower daily and I once heard a very Chashuv and generally machmir rav say that nowadays it’s considered basic hygiene to shower daily so it’s permitted if cold during the 9 days.

So now I shower daily during the 9 days but I make it much colder than normal so that it’s no enjoyable and I hop out as soon as I can because it’s not particularly comfortable. (I used to think it had to be completely cold like not a drop of hot water at all).

What do you do?

tigerwife

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 12:18 pm
After getting wet, I turn off the water while I apply shampoo, soap, and face wash. Then I turn the water on again to rinse. I also try not to use very hot water. I’d skip a shower if possible but this summer’s been incredibly hot so far.

Sweet as Pie

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 12:26 pm
I shower less often and in less time. A woman needs to smell good for her husband imo

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 12:27 pm
I take a shower every day. I use lukewarm water, make it fast, and I don't stand under the running water.

nchr

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 12:28 pm
I shower once per day instead of my usual twice. I don't do baths. I use cool water. My kids are also showered once daily with no baths and cool water but not as cool as me since I don't want to "torture" them.

CatLady

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 12:28 pm
We're in a heat wave and I don't have air conditioning, so I take a shower in cooler water and I have the mindset that I'm doing this for health reasons, not because it feels good.

clowny

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 12:32 pm
Sweet as Pie wrote:
I shower less often and in less time. A woman needs to smell good for her husband imo

Agree.
A day that I was indoors with ac all day, I don’t shower. Also, I shower with much cooler water.

giselle

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 12:39 pm
I never even knew this was a thing until very recently. I always thought these days everyone showers as it’s considered basic hygiene and not a luxury. We take quicker showers and try not to make the water very hot.. which I always forget to do..

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 12:41 pm
Even though I have ac just running outside for a minute to and from work or to drop/pick up from camp I get so sweaty and gross. I’m glad to know I’m not the only one who does regular cold showers.

amother
Black

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 12:42 pm
I might skip a day if I don’t feel too icky. I wash my hair less often, as it doesn’t need it as much and is covered anyway. When I do wash up, it’s with cooler water and I use the handheld to wash limb by limb. I don’t stand under the shower completely.

Usually I love relaxing in very hot water.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 12:42 pm
I wash one body part at at a time. e.g. I wet my hair, shampoo, and then rinse by sticking my head under faucet of tub. Wash face, rinse with water. I wash my arms, rinse them, doing each body part etc....till I'm clean.

My girls take cooler, shorter showers, for hygiene not pleasure.

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 12:44 pm
Fewer showers than usual, shorter, cooler.
Shampoo twice instead of three times during the week.

Penina94

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 12:45 pm
While it’s so crucial to keep all laws during the 9 days it’s very difficult not to shower specially in very hot weather.I shower every couple of days with cold water ...I just do my thing and dry and out I go.I find no pleasure in it because in my mind its a fast thing in order freshen up.

crust

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 12:45 pm
I grew up like you OP and I remember in camp seeing other girls shower and feeling like what? That's against halacha!

Then I got married and I heard that a woman is allowed to do whatever it takes
כדי שלא יתגנה.

I was also told that whatever you do you should do so b'tzina.

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 1:04 pm
My parents dont shower at all in the nine days besides Shabbos and that is really gross! Even as I kid I showered. I shower pretty much the same as usual - maybe I'll skip one shower a week but I try to take shorter showers.

SuperWify

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 1:05 pm
I usually take very hot showers. So during shavouah sh’chol bo I take hot-ish showers. And I don’t linger.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 1:10 pm
Whoever doesnt shower in this heat please dont go between other people. Its gross

tichellady

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 1:13 pm
Didn’t know people didn’t shower. Was taught just not to take a bath or leisure shower although this year during the pandemic I am taking relaxing showers since I have few ways to unwind and need to maintain my sanity

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 1:13 pm
crust wrote:
I grew up like you OP and I remember in camp seeing other girls shower and feeling like what? That's against halacha!

Then I got married and I heard that a woman is allowed to do whatever it takes
כדי שלא יתגנה.

I was also told that whatever you do you should do so b'tzina.

What does יתנגה mean? Also when you say b’tzina do you mean privately? Like don’t advertise that you shower? Or am I totally misunderstanding that word? 🙈

crust

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 1:21 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What does יתנגה mean? Also when you say b’tzina do you mean privately? Like don’t advertise that you shower? Or am I totally misunderstanding that word? 🙈

I don't know if I quoted the pasuk correctly but it means that a woman is allowed to do what it takes so her husband doesn't get turned off by her (smell).

Yes you understood the tzina part... Smile
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics