Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
What do Israeli girls do after High School?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 5:18 am
DrMom wrote:
Thanks! This is for a boy (he won't be walking around with a mitpachat Smile ) studying in a hard science/engineering field, so the course content is unlikely to be controversial in any case.

Technion, Bar Ilan, Ben Gurion, Ariel all good options (Ariel the easiest to get into in many fields).

I don't know that I would recommend Tel Aviv U to a guy in a kippa. He might feel uncomfortable in some departments. At least back in my day, it was like that - but I didn't study in a science field.

Ben Gurion and Ariel have a very active student life.

chanchy123

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 5:56 am
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
Speaking as a current Bar Ilan student.

The anglo girls in the midrasha are largely obnoxious, spending their time either sleeping in the breastfeeding room (I had to kick them out multiple times to breastfeed) and walk around speaking loudly and wearing mini skirts. Even the women in the office roll their eyes at them.

The campus does not have a dati atmosphere. Some professors partially cover their hair, but the majority of mine were completely secular. They showed plenty inappropriate stuff during my degree, including stupid movies with 'romantic scenes' which were completely unnecessary and did nothing to add to the learning experience.

There are a few dati leumi students and courses in Judaism are obligatory. That's about it. Nothing else makes Bar Ilan a dati place.

I don’t think we disagree. It’s all about expectations. If you’re coming to the school and expect an environment like a religious teacher’s college - of course you’d be disappointed. Is it more accommodating than say Hebrew U Ben Gurion and certainly Haifa - for sure. Will your DS likely find many likeminded students and find social activities suited for a MO young man - probably.
As for Ariel, my brother went there, as did two of my cousins - it’s funny because they are datlashim, I never thought about it before, especially since I know so many people who are frum who went there (including my sister) and know many of my brother’s classmates and friends were dati.

DrMom

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 6:04 am
chanchy123 wrote:
I don’t think we disagree. It’s all about expectations. If you’re coming to the school and expect an environment like a religious teacher’s college - of course you’d be disappointed. Is it more accommodating than say Hebrew U Ben Gurion and certainly Haifa - for sure. Will your DS likely find many likeminded students and find social activities suited for a MO young man - probably.
As for Ariel, my brother went there, as did two of my cousins - it’s funny because they are datlashim, I never thought about it before, especially since I know so many people who are frum who went there (including my sister) and know many of my brother’s classmates and friends were dati.

He is looking for a place where being dati won't be a disadvantage, and where there are resources/a supportive atmosphere for dati students, and with excellent academics He's not looking for a yeshiva.

I did not attend university in Israel, so I am not up on all the nuances. Thanks for the info!

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 7:37 am
DrMom wrote:
He is looking for a place where being dati won't be a disadvantage, and where there are resources/a supportive atmosphere for dati students, and with excellent academics He's not looking for a yeshiva.

I did not attend university in Israel, so I am not up on all the nuances. Thanks for the info!

In that case, anywhere except TAU

chanchy123

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 10:25 am
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
In that case, anywhere except TAU

I’m told Haifa is worse, but academically it’s not that great either, so wouldn’t consider it anyway.

Shuly

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 3:42 pm
Success10 wrote:
I'm going to say something that a lot of people won't agree with, but why does she need to integrate into Israeli, Hebrew-speaking society head-on? She's not in elementary school. She is going to be post high school, learning a career and thinking about marriage. Many young ladies who make aliyah at that stage in life never fully integrate. They make friends with Anglos. They learn a degree in English. They marry a chutznik or a recent oleh, and they learn the ropes of Israel like any other young couple off the boat.
Yes, she will need to learn Hebrew at some point, and the sooner the better. But I just don't see how forcing her into a fully Israeli environment right off the boat will be a good move, unless she's very much the go-with-the-flow type.

I agree 100%
She is not a little kid who needs to fit into an Israeli school in order to make friends.
Let her do whatever she would do if you didn't make aliyah (seminary, college, job etc.). I think Chedvas would be a great fit - I know a number of people who went there.
There is also Touro College in Israel with classes in English.

2gether

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 2:51 am
Shuly wrote:

Touro doesn't accept permenant Israeli citizens...

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 4:16 am
Shuly wrote:
I agree 100%
She is not a little kid who needs to fit into an Israeli school in order to make friends.
Let her do whatever she would do if you didn't make aliyah (seminary, college, job etc.). I think Chedvas would be a great fit - I know a number of people who went there.

I agree that she is an adult, but it would probably still be nice for her to meet friends and make connections.

She should find a place with young people who live here, not those who are here for a year or two and will leave.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 7:46 pm
Wow! So many responses! So to clarify, we are a zionistic home. My daughter goes to a very open Bais Yaakov.

I want my children to succeed in Israel and not be handicapped by language and culture barriers. I think it would be a shame to live as an American in Israel her whole life. Especially if the rest of her younger siblings acclimate.

I will be looking into some of the suggestions offered.

I really appreciate everyone's input!! Thank you so much!
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions