Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club
What are magazines looking for?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Have you ever submitted a writing to a magazine?
Yes, and they accepted it  
 30%  [ 33 ]
Yes, but they rejected it  
 20%  [ 22 ]
No, never tried  
 49%  [ 53 ]
Total Votes : 108

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 6:32 am
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:

Mishpacha has sold their articles to nonjewish newspapers. They won't even inform you if they do.

I'd love to see some proof of this. I've been working at Mishpacha for years and never heard of such thing. Like, never.

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 6:46 am
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
I'd love to see some proof of this. I've been working at Mishpacha for years and never heard of such thing. Like, never.

2 people on soferet recounted their experiences with this 2 or 3 years ago.
How they had relatives in europe who recognized their article in a local newspaper in a foreign language.

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 6:48 am
the story sounds familiar but IIRC it wasn't Mishpacha...

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 11:52 am
I find that the Ami has the same few writers week in week out with the occasional new person in our days.

I'd love to see more variety! Wish they would have a constant flow of different articles by different women.

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 1:01 pm
How about a non-fiction series? What would be their criteria for that?

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 1:19 pm
seeker wrote:
Now I want to read them! Let us know when you get published!

I didn't read all the replies so I don't know if you addressed this already, but I always include a "cover letter" with my pitches/submissions and I have a pretty high acceptance rate. Use this email to open up a dialogue with the editor. If the submission you sent doesn't fit their needs, ask what their needs are, is there any modification that would make the piece work for them, is there some time in the future that it might be more wanted... Request feedback. I'm not sure how much time editors have for giving feedback on pieces they're not using, but if you ask earnestly then they often do want to help, they share your writer's soul and have certainly been in your position at some time in the past.

Maybe they already know you.
Normally in the rejection email they apologize for not being able to provide any feedback “due to the high volume of submissions”.

seeker

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 2:38 pm
How do you think they got to "already knowing me?" LOL everyone is new once. I mean unless you're someone's relative, I guess. I'm not. I sent them a few targeted pitches with a cover letter explaining why I felt these topics were relevant and interesting to their audience. Except for a couple of personal essays (which were after they already knew me) I always sent a pitch without a full length article attached - makes sense they don't have time to read and offer feedback on every submission, but it doesn't take as much to say something like "thanks for the suggestion but we're not interested in a story about the Golem at this time" and then you can say "would you be more open to something current-day? Or more realistic?" and they might say "no, we have enough stories lined up to last us a couple of years" and you might say "Thanks for letting me know, so can I re-send this in a couple of years?" The conversation itself, if you're friendly and respect their time, could already make you more recognizable. As always, add in some hashgacha with the timing, no way to know what editors' moods are or when they are flooded, but try a few times and a few places.

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 3:13 pm
seeker wrote:
How do you think they got to "already knowing me?" LOL everyone is new once. I mean unless you're someone's relative, I guess. I'm not. I sent them a few targeted pitches with a cover letter explaining why I felt these topics were relevant and interesting to their audience. Except for a couple of personal essays (which were after they already knew me) I always sent a pitch without a full length article attached - makes sense they don't have time to read and offer feedback on every submission, but it doesn't take as much to say something like "thanks for the suggestion but we're not interested in a story about the Golem at this time" and then you can say "would you be more open to something current-day? Or more realistic?" and they might say "no, we have enough stories lined up to last us a couple of years" and you might say "Thanks for letting me know, so can I re-send this in a couple of years?" The conversation itself, if you're friendly and respect their time, could already make you more recognizable. As always, add in some hashgacha with the timing, no way to know what editors' moods are or when they are flooded, but try a few times and a few places.

I agree with you in theory but that was not my experience.
They always just say thank you for the submission and that they decided not to use it and that they’re sorry that they can’t explain or provide more feedback due to the high volume.
I don’t mind.
I do mind when a publication doesnt respond at all.

seeker

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 3:20 pm
Oh well. Makes sense on their end. Keep trying and try to tailor yourself to their audience. And remember your cover letter is really to try to sell yourself. Be a copywriter for those few lines.

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 3:35 pm
seeker wrote:
your cover letter is really to try to sell yourself. Be a copywriter for those few lines.

What do you mean?

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 4:02 pm
Hi,

I'm a frequent writer for Family First, and I'll echo a few things that people have already said.

1) Know your audience. I've had several essays rejected until I took the time to read the magazines I was pitching to and cater my piece to their content/style/structure.

2) I was a total unknown. I had no "in". I'm not assertive or pushy, but I did keep showing up and now I'm am where I am...basically, if I can do it, anyone can.

3) Family First is always looking for more fiction. However, it's easier said than done. Based on my experience with people wanting to be published, ideas often aren't fresh, they're explicit in morals/ lessons and most importantly they're lacking structure.

4) I'm going to the repeat the structure point again, because it's that important. Many people know how to write, and can string together pretty sentences, but they lack the knowledge of how a story works, how it builds, and progresses...stories NEED structure or they fall more than flat.

seeker

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 4:12 pm
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
What do you mean?

Not sure which part is unclear. I've been saying it all along, write an email "cover letter" promoting yourself before they read the submission. You still get rejections but you get in more communication with the editors.

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 4:23 pm
seeker wrote:
Not sure which part is unclear. I've been saying it all along, write an email "cover letter" promoting yourself before they read the submission. You still get rejections but you get in more communication with the editors.

Like to attach a letter about the story/ submission to include with the submission?
And my question was what do you mean by being a copywriter for those few lines.
Thanks for your help.

seeker

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 4:44 pm
A copywriter often writes marketing text. So I mean sell yourself.

By "cover letter" I mean the email you send with your submission. Don't just send a story, attach it to a short but meaningful email about why you think they and their readers will love it.

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 5:32 pm
seeker wrote:
A copywriter often writes marketing text. So I mean sell yourself.

By "cover letter" I mean the email you send with your submission. Don't just send a story, attach it to a short but meaningful email about why you think they and their readers will love it.

I understand.
Basically ‘market your piece’.
Ok thank you.

#BestBubby

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 5:36 pm
I think it is easier to get published if you have an interesting TRUE story that happened to you - especially if:

* it was a medical issue

* amazing hashgocha protis

* amazing kiddush hashem

* resolved a sholom bayis issue or family feud

* you have an unusual profession

* you are a bt or ger

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 8:46 pm
#Best Bubby,

I don't qualify for any of your criteria. I've haven't written a single piece on those subjects, and I've lost count of the amount of times I've been published.

You'll get in if have good content that suites the magazine.

Not saying that your list doesn't have merit, but I don't want others to be discouraged when they don't have a story like that. Smile

seeker

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 9:24 pm
She just said "easier," not that it's necessary. I'm inclined to agree that it's easier. If you don't think you have an exciting story to tell, you can try to find someone else who does and ask if you can write their story. Something like this can get your foot in the door so they recognize you when you come back with random unsolicited fiction.

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 10:47 pm
I also found it easier to submit an article idea than a completed piece. The mags are flooded with submissions for the person essays column, but they're always on the prowl for good features. Once you have an "in" with that, they're more likely to accept your person pieces (in my experience). So my advice would be this:

1) think of relevant feature ideas
2) pitch those with an explanation on your angle -- the questions you want to explore etc + explain why you'll do a great job (I had people to speak to already, etc.)
3) believe in hashgacha

Once you have a relationship with the editors, they'll hear you out more often.

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 10:56 pm
Navy is absolutely correct. I am on the staff of one of the magazines. Features are more in demand than most other writing.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club