Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Moving to Elkins Park, PA

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 3:36 pm
We are looking for a house in Elkins Park, PA! We have done enough research to feel like this is our ONLY viable option. We are currently in Brooklyn, which definitely has it's perks! But we can't keep up with the increasing rent - and my family is in Philly area, so ... after years of talking about it, we are finally ready.

In normal times, we would be looking to stay with someone for Shabbos, but in pandemic times, we can't do anything like that. We spoke briefly with Rabbi Goldstein, but ... I would like more info, and don't want to keep the Rabbi on the phone with a million questions that don't need a Rabbi!

So ... tell me everything you know!

A few specific items:

How far towards the edge of the eruv can we go before we are ridiculously far from other Jews? We have found a couple on Cheltenham Ave, or just above, and a few in the far SE corner of the eruv. I don't need to be in the heart of the community, but I don't want to be the only Jews in a quarter mile, you know?

What is the range of observance at Young Israel? We asked the Rabbi, but I'd like some more details. We are definitely on the less observant end of the orthodox spectrum ... I'm not even sure we qualify as orthodox, honestly - but maybe MO. I'm not sure if we will horribly be out of place at YI, but I can't imagine us going full Conservative.

What else do I want to know? I can't remember, but that's good to start:)

TIA!

tichellady

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 4:06 pm
Are you on facebook? There are groups there that are helpful for this

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 4:17 pm
tichellady wrote:
Are you on facebook? There are groups there that are helpful for this

I am. It never occurred to me that there were groups for Jews in specific areas, though! I mainly posted here because I have seen some imamothers talk about how wonderful Elkins Park is. I'll look into FB groups - thanks:)

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 4:30 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We are looking for a house in Elkins Park, PA! We have done enough research to feel like this is our ONLY viable option. We are currently in Brooklyn, which definitely has it's perks! But we can't keep up with the increasing rent - and my family is in Philly area, so ... after years of talking about it, we are finally ready.

In normal times, we would be looking to stay with someone for Shabbos, but in pandemic times, we can't do anything like that. We spoke briefly with Rabbi Goldstein, but ... I would like more info, and don't want to keep the Rabbi on the phone with a million questions that don't need a Rabbi!

So ... tell me everything you know!

A few specific items:

How far towards the edge of the eruv can we go before we are ridiculously far from other Jews? We have found a couple on Cheltenham Ave, or just above, and a few in the far SE corner of the eruv. I don't need to be in the heart of the community, but I don't want to be the only Jews in a quarter mile, you know?

What is the range of observance at Young Israel? We asked the Rabbi, but I'd like some more details. We are definitely on the less observant end of the orthodox spectrum ... I'm not even sure we qualify as orthodox, honestly - but maybe MO. I'm not sure if we will horribly be out of place at YI, but I can't imagine us going full Conservative.

What else do I want to know? I can't remember, but that's good to start:)

TIA!

Cheltenham Avenue would be Melrose Park, not Elkins Park. I'd stay away from that area, particularly below Second.

There will be plenty of Jews throughout Elkins Park, but not all of them will be Orthodox. The entire Old York Road corridor is filled with Conservative synagogues.

Too long ago for me to be otherwise useful.

Good luck with the move.

tichellady

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 5:06 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I am. It never occurred to me that there were groups for Jews in specific areas, though! I mainly posted here because I have seen some imamothers talk about how wonderful Elkins Park is. I'll look into FB groups - thanks:)

Move to a Jewish community out of town is a good group

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 5:14 pm
Have nothing relevant to say about the Orthodox shul in Elkins Park. Back in the day, we used to live there. (We weren't frum then). I miss it. I miss the Wawa and Rita's Water Ice and bunch of other things. It's been years and years since we were there.

Good luck on your choice and your move.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 5:54 pm
Magenta - thanks for the info. According to realtor.com and most sites I have looked at, Melrose Park is part of Elkins Park, and Elkins Park ends at Cheltenham Ave. All the real estate down there has an Elkins Park address. It doesn't matter to me, really, what is "technically" Elkins Park, but I want to be in the eruv, and I don't want to be the only Jew in the area!

tichellady - I joined the group you suggested, as well as a general Phildelphia Jews group - thank you for the suggestion.

Bronze - It's a lovely area! And I am REALLY looking forward to that kosher Rita'sSmile

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 9:51 pm
The shul is a typical out of town experience. You have many varied levels of observance and everyone is welcome.

In regards to location, I agree with the other amother. The further away from Cheltenham Ave, the better. It is right next to an unpleasant area of North Philadelphia and the area is prone to more petty crimes I.e. car break-ins. Also to note, there is a chabad as well in Abington that is in walking distance from the more northern areas of Elkins Park. The eruv, however, does not extend to the that area.

avrahamama

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 10:25 pm
I spent a summer in Elkins Park. It is so pretty there. I wasn't from yet though.

Maybe you can get the Young Israel to email you a copy of the Eruv map and that will help you find houses within the Eruv.

Hatzlacha!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 10:45 pm
Aqua - Thanks for your reply - I have never had a typical oot experience:)

Yes, I hear what you are saying about crime. I have family that live in Olney (Champlost and N. 3rd) for 15+ years, and I actually lived in Fern Rock for a year. In fact, most of the places I have lived as an adult have been that level of crime - including where we live now, lol. It's DEFINITELY safer and nicer further away from the city line - but it's also more expensive with higher taxes. And since I'm used to living with that level of crime, that alone is not a deal breaker for me.

Good to know about the Abington Chabad! But I feel pretty strongly about staying in the eruv - I have bene living long enough without!!!

avrahaamama - Yes, it is lovely. I do have the eruv map, but ... it seems that there are some sections of the eruv where there are no orthodox Jews, and I'm not sure I want to make that commitment - no map for that, I think:)

advocate

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 11:00 pm
Sorry to give such an obvious response, but could you find a frum (or at least Jewish) real estate agent?

Also a tip from personal experience: when you find an appraiser for the mortgage, be sure it is a LOCAL appraiser. Often Orthodox neighborhoods are in well-defined pockets right next to more troubled neighborhoods, and national appraisers don't know the locale, and so choose "comparable" that are not at all comparable, causing a low appraisal, which can put your mortgage at risk.

Hatzlacha Rabba!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating