Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
SYEP Youth Corps Summer Bridge Program 2020
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 8:51 pm
My daughter was selected by lottery for this program, but I am concerned about the content of this curriculum (to be presented online). Does anyone know what it is about and/or how I can find out whether or not it would be suitable for a Bais Yaakov girl?

TIA

amother
Red

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 9:11 pm
Call COJO and find out. It's Zoom meetings with an instructor (dd's is frum), Google classroom assignments to fill out, and videos on Hats & Ladders about career education with information on all sorts of careers as well as financial information. Get started as this week's 4 assignments are due by the end of this week.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 9:35 pm
amother [ Red ] wrote:
Call COJO and find out. It's Zoom meetings with an instructor (dd's is frum), Google classroom assignments to fill out, and videos on Hats & Ladders about career education with information on all sorts of careers as well as financial information. Get started as this week's 4 assignments are due by the end of this week.

Thanks. Will call tomorrow morning.

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 11:38 pm
My DC is in it through Commonpoint Queens. The program has been radical liberal nonsense. The teacher told the kids that people don’t have to be licensed to have a gun and that any gun (not criminals) means violence. She emailed a pro defund the police cartoon today. Its so sad these kids are being programmed this way. Im disgusted.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 11:43 pm
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
My DC is in it through Commonpoint Queens. The program has been radical liberal nonsense. The teacher told the kids that people don’t have to be licensed to have a gun and that any gun (not criminals) means violence. She emailed a pro defund the police cartoon today. Its so sad these kids are being programmed this way. Im disgusted.

Are you keeping tabs on what your DC is watching/learning? Do they (or do you think they will have) a pro-LGBTQ agenda? My DD is a relatively sheltered Bais Yaakov girl, and while I am raising her to be tolerant and respectful of everyone, I don’t need her to be exposed to their outlook/agenda at this time. . .

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 12:08 am

Oh my. When did your daughter start it?

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 12:09 am
amother [ Red ] wrote:

What kind of assignments are they?

amother
Red

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 12:19 am
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
What kind of assignments are they?

I kept an ear out today. I heard her answering assigment questions about human resources vs crunching numbers. I heard videos about the job market and the economy during corona, some stimulus discussion. Heard videos from people in various careers. The genetic counselor stood out since it was new info for dd but it sounded fine (dd knows about genetics, mom's and dad's role). The team leader is frum and sounded easygoing and sweet. Overall I think it's a good learning experience for dd to understand the workforce more. Dd is registered through COJO of Flatbush. There are 4 assignments a week and each one takes a few hours. Done on their schedule. Though the zoom conference 1-2x a week is scheduled.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 12:25 am
DD is through COJO of Flatbush too, so I’ll call them tomorrow. Hope they have some leeway about how and what they present. . . Thanks.

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 12:27 am
Sounds good, amother Red. My daughter is also doing it thru COJO. Is yours in 14-15 group or in 16+? When did her class start?
I think my daughter is in Class 4.

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 12:35 am
Amother Red, your daughter will have Zoom meetings 1-2 times/week? Cause my daughter's teacher emailed today about meeting on weekdays, Mo-Fri...
What time are your meetings?

amother
Black

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 12:37 am

Contact them to complain. The teacher is not supposed to insert her personal beliefs into the program.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 1:00 am
amother [ Black ] wrote:
Contact them to complain. The teacher is not supposed to insert her personal beliefs into the program.

. . . Unless that is part of the program . . . (That is my concern. . .)

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 7:55 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Are you keeping tabs on what your DC is watching/learning? Do they (or do you think they will have) a pro-LGBTQ agenda? My DD is a relatively sheltered Bais Yaakov girl, and while I am raising her to be tolerant and respectful of everyone, I don’t need her to be exposed to their outlook/agenda at this time. . .

I do check. There hasn’t been any of that yet.

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 7:59 am
amother [ Black ] wrote:

They didn’t have a program given out by the city. The kids are supposed to be working and learning job skills. I plan to be in contact with the teacher after today’s class to get the syllabus.

amother
Red

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 8:38 am
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
Amother Red, your daughter will have Zoom meetings 1-2 times/week? Cause my daughter's teacher emailed today about meeting on weekdays, Mo-Fri...
What time are your meetings?

So far polls are taken about timing before the meeting.

amother [ Mint ] wrote:
Sounds good, amother Red. My daughter is also doing it thru COJO. Is yours in 14-15 group or in 16+? When did her class start?
I think my daughter is in Class 4.

Younger group. SYEP started on July 27. I don't know her class #.

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 10:31 am
How are your kids liking it? My daughter is very confused about her assignments and the teacher doesn't respond to her emails.
She wonders if she won't get paid if she puts in required hours, but doesn't submit all assignments or doesn't do well on them.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 11:26 am
My daughter is in the 16+ group and is doing it through Flatbush COJO, but I don't know if it makes a difference who you do it through as far as the lessons/teacher you get (unless maybe they do have a few frum teachers as some mentioned - but my daughter's isn't). There is definitely liberal propaganda in the lessons which is very upsetting. For example, they said "republicans tried to take away your right to protest" by the Women's Marches. I looked it up and made sure she gets the true story. Another time they were talking all about how minorities live in poor neighborhoods and white people live in richer neighborhoods and trees aren't planted in the poor neighborhoods, only in the richer neighborhoods - which don't even need it because they have trees already. They also mention BLM as an organization that fights for social justice, and encourage going out to protest. They tell you your rights if you get arrested - you don't have to talk, ask for a lawyer etc. This isn't a complete list - only a sampling of what I heard and remember. I'll be making sure to listen to it along with my daughter so I can set the facts straight.

amother
Red

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 11:54 am
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
How are your kids liking it? My daughter is very confused about her assignments and the teacher doesn't respond to her emails.
She wonders if she won't get paid if she puts in required hours, but doesn't submit all assignments or doesn't do well on them.

It's very hard for dd. Especially because she does it at night. But her teacher had said it's about doing the work and submitting assignments. Not about doing well. It's a learning experience.

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 1:25 pm
amother [ Red ] wrote:
It's very hard for dd. Especially because she does it at night. But her teacher had said it's about doing the work and submitting assignments. Not about doing well. It's a learning experience.

Do they have Zoom sessions with the teacher? Also in the evenings?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries