Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
S/O Bungalow colonies...
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6

ExtraCredit

Post Fri, Jul 24 2020, 2:46 pm
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
Yes, ma'am! Salut

Very Happy

zaq

Post Fri, Jul 24 2020, 6:01 pm
rae wrote:
I never got it either. This is the first summer it’s calling to me. Just the thought of being somewhere, rid of the whole Covid mentality and getting to sit by a pool while my kids are entertained. ... I wish!!!

covid is not a respecter of borders. Unless you're going camping by yourself in an abandoned forest where the only other living things you'll meet will be bears and hedgehogs, you still have to take precautions. Even some campgrounds get pretty crowded. And a bungalow colony? Please. It's called a "colony" for a reason.

zaq

Post Fri, Jul 24 2020, 6:03 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
I've skipped ahead, so forgive me if this has been brought up before.

Do people think that Corona doesn't exist in bungalow colonies? Kids running around, no social distancing, etc. We saw what happened in Israel when they opened up the schools too fast.

I worry that this is going to get a lot of people infected.

Don't waste energy worrying: it's a foregone certainty that it's going to happen.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Fri, Jul 24 2020, 6:26 pm
I grew up all my years in different bungalow colonies . Some we like the crowd and others not so much. My father loved the mountains so even if he couldnt afford it he made of work . We took the trailor bungalow because that was cheaper or he got jobs upstate.

I miss it every summer and I'm sad I can't give my kids the same opportunity to experience "country living "

Mama Bear

Post Fri, Jul 24 2020, 7:50 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
I've skipped ahead, so forgive me if this has been brought up before.

Do people think that Corona doesn't exist in bungalow colonies? Kids running around, no social distancing, etc. We saw what happened in Israel when they opened up the schools too fast.

I worry that this is going to get a lot of people infected.

The population in these bungalow colonies is the same population that lives in brooklyn. We were all exposed or sick in march. Four months later and there are no new cases bh.

In my bungalow colony a family that flew in from israel apparently came down with it 2 weeks into their arrival. They quarantined for 10 days. it's now 2 weeks later and no one else in the bungalow colony got sick.

(Yes, finally coming out as 'amother coffee' from the Dr. Ditchek thread).'

Going to the country is the same as staying in the city. It's even better, maybe, bc we barely move out of our bungalow colony, and had we stayed home we'd be going around much more.

Mama Bear

Post Fri, Jul 24 2020, 7:52 pm
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
According to the latest statistics ( source)

From July 15 - 23rd

Ulster County - ~35-40 new cases
Sullivan County - ~9 new cases
Rockland county - ~ 85 new cases
Orange county - ~ 100 new cases
New York City - ~ 2900 new cases

9 new cases in the entire sullivan county is amazing!!! There are 1000s of ppl here and there's only 9 cases! (probably among the year-round population). Ulster County is mostly not in the catskills; only the Ellenville area is in Ulster County. There are more year-round residential areas outside of the catskills that are in ulster.

chanchy123

Post Sat, Jul 25 2020, 3:20 pm
This is very interesting to me, as an Israeli. People always used to say to me that life on the yishuv I grew up on was like the bungalow colonies and now I can certainly understand what they meant. Many of these issues exist where I live today. Kids have a lot of freedom and can roam around unattended outside all day long. I think the same chinch issues exist in very different situations and environments. I guess those of us living in “the country” have similar challenges at vavationers.

amother
Tan

Post Sat, Jul 25 2020, 10:02 pm
chanchy123 wrote:
This is very interesting to me, as an Israeli. People always used to say to me that life on the yishuv I grew up on was like the bungalow colonies and now I can certainly understand what they meant. Many of these issues exist where I live today. Kids have a lot of freedom and can roam around unattended outside all day long. I think the same chinch issues exist in very different situations and environments. I guess those of us living in “the country” have similar challenges at vavationers.

You realize most kids in the country have a regular school schedule and don't roam around freely all day.

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 7:22 pm
Didnt read through entire thread but I gotta say; you cant explain it unless youv'e experienced it...Children (and adults!!) living up every moment here

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 1:05 am
I am not in ny area so never experienced bungalow life. It sounds nice, obviously not with the extreme hefker-ness that OP mentions. I think kids being free to explore and play- while appropriately monitored and directed- can be a good thing sometimes.

A side question- it must be only mothers who don't work who can go to bungalows? Didn't realize there are so many families with stay at home moms. Or is everyone either not working or teachers that can leave in the summer? I'd think there's a whole segment of the population that bungalow life is not even an option, so I always wondered how that works out that so many can go.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 1:11 am
Many have jobs in the mountains. Many work online. Many travel back and forth several times a week. The mountains have numerous day camps, childcare options in the summer. People make it work

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 2:27 pm
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
I am not in ny area so never experienced bungalow life. It sounds nice, obviously not with the extreme hefker-ness that OP mentions. I think kids being free to explore and play- while appropriately monitored and directed- can be a good thing sometimes.

A side question- it must be only mothers who don't work who can go to bungalows? Didn't realize there are so many families with stay at home moms. Or is everyone either not working or teachers that can leave in the summer? I'd think there's a whole segment of the population that bungalow life is not even an option, so I always wondered how that works out that so many can go.

In the chasidishe community the majority of the moms dont work, or they work at flexible jobs where they can take some time off (I.e. they work in school). Some moms indeed can only take 2 or 4 weeks off and only go for part of the summer.
Page 6 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 Recent Topics