Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
Covid vaccine study- moderna
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 5:40 pm
Definitely time to focus on Tisha B'Av and ahavas chinam.

May Moshiach come and our sorrow turn to joy!

shaqued_almond

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 6:14 pm
Yeshar koach, I hope you stay healthy!

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 6:19 pm
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
[removed by mod.]
they don’t usually use a fully inert placebo, their reasoning allegedly being that if there was no local reaction the participant would know it was the placebo and that would ruin the control aspect.

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 7:21 pm
Hi! As a scientist, I feel like there have been a lot of misconceptions about this mRNA vaccine because often the information is not explained or presented well.

It's true that there have not yet been other approved mRNA vaccines ( mostly because the technology is still fairly new) so it's hard to say yet whether it'll be effective or not.

However, mRNA vaccines will not alter your genetic code or cause genetic mutations. mRNA
cannot insert itself into your DNA to change it, and it is constantly turned over and degraded in your body. It is simply processed by your cells and "translated" into proteins. In this case, the mRNA used in the vaccine codes for a virus protein. This protein will be recognized by your immune cells as foreign, and they should hopefully start making antibodies against the virus (if the vaccine is effective).

There are still questions of how well this vaccine will work in generating an immune response, but there is no reason why mRNA vaccines would cause long lasting genetic damage. Hopefully this alleviates some of the worries.

amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
Why are you not scared of this new MRNA vaccine with no vaccine like it?

What made you feel secure enough to sign up for passing on whatever genetic mutation that will occur to your offspring?

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 10:13 pm
Wow, kol ha kavod! (or should that be ha Covid?)

On behalf of everyone who does not qualify for this clinical trial, I want to thank you for putting yourself out there. I know it's a huge decision to make, both for yourself, for research, and for the greater good. I know you must have done a lot of thinking about it before you made the leap.

Please keep us posted, and we should only hear good news!

notshanarishona

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 4:08 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Wow, kol ha kavod! (or should that be ha Covid?)

On behalf of everyone who does not qualify for this clinical trial, I want to thank you for putting yourself out there. I know it's a huge decision to make, both for yourself, for research, and for the greater good. I know you must have done a lot of thinking about it before you made the leap.

Please keep us posted, and we should only hear good news!

Thanks! Lest everyone think I am totally altruistic, they do pay $2000 and travel expenses. My doctor was also very encouraging as they gave been pressuring us to stay home and be super careful because we are such high risk and she thought it was a great chance to possibly lower our risk.
We did think it out and I am working on convincing my husband to do it also- he is not high risk but considered high risk due to living with 2 immunocompromised people in that we don’t want the virus in the house. He is more scared of the blood work than the vaccine. I thought it would be a fun family activity 🤪, can you tell we have been stuck at home for 5 months that visits to get swabbed and poked are exciting?

amother
Jetblack

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 5:01 am
notshanarishona wrote:
Thanks! Lest everyone think I am totally altruistic, they do pay $2000 and travel expenses. My doctor was also very encouraging as they gave been pressuring us to stay home and be super careful because we are such high risk and she thought it was a great chance to possibly lower our risk.
We did think it out and I am working on convincing my husband to do it also- he is not high risk but considered high risk due to living with 2 immunocompromised people in that we don’t want the virus in the house. He is more scared of the blood work than the vaccine. I thought it would be a fun family activity 🤪, can you tell we have been stuck at home for 5 months that visits to get swabbed and poked are exciting?

are you in your childbearing years? Do you plan on another pregnancy? Please let us know how that goes. May Hashem protect you and may you be healthy and strong.

notshanarishona

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 6:15 am
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
are you in your childbearing years? Do you plan on another pregnancy? Please let us know how that goes. May Hashem protect you and may you be healthy and strong.

That's kind of a blunt question to ask under my screen name. LOL Let's just leave it at that yes, I am in my childbearing years.
Amen.

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 1:24 pm
notshanarishona wrote:
It’s 2 shots 28 days apart. I wouldn’t deliberately expose myself since they don’t know accurate it is but it’s making me comfortable enough to go back to work in person even though I am high risk.
I have had a light fever and body aches , slightly swollen area of injection, but nothing terrible.
My guess is I didn’t get a placebo because then their wouldn’t be side effects if you are injected with saline.

Kudos to you for volunteering for the greater good. I wasn’t that brave. They are testing it against the meningococcal vaccine and not against saline, so it is still possible to have some mild side effects even if you got the placebo.

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 1:43 pm
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
Kudos to you for volunteering for the greater good. I wasn’t that brave. They are testing it against the meningococcal vaccine and not against saline, so it is still possible to have some mild side effects even if you got the placebo.

That's the Oxford vaccine.

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 1:56 pm
Chocolate can you please explain more? Either here or a spin-off?

Has this kind of manipulation of biology been used successfully in any other pharmaceuticals?

I really want to know more about it, on the surface it really does seem like it alters DNA. 🧬

keym

Post Sat, Aug 29 2020, 8:14 pm
OP, I'm following up on this.
How are you doing?
Are you allowed to share if you have any side affects or antibodies yet?
I'm really curious.

oneofakind

Post Sat, Aug 29 2020, 8:33 pm
I don't think think they use saline as a placebo ever. Read it again.

amother
Honeydew

Post Sat, Aug 29 2020, 10:46 pm
notshanarishona wrote:
It’s 2 shots 28 days apart. I wouldn’t deliberately expose myself since they don’t know accurate it is but it’s making me comfortable enough to go back to work in person even though I am high risk.
I have had a light fever and body aches , slightly swollen area of injection, but nothing terrible.
My guess is I didn’t get a placebo because then their wouldn’t be side effects if you are injected with saline.

their placebo is NOT saline. Were you given informed consent? Read all the literature. The placebo is a meningitis vaccine..

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Aug 30 2020, 3:44 am
keym wrote:
OP, I'm following up on this.
How are you doing?
Are you allowed to share if you have any side affects or antibodies yet?
I'm really curious.

I just got tested for antibodies on Friday (one week past the 2nd vaccine) and next week they will tell me my level. No major side effects at all. 2nd one went smoother than the first one.

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Aug 30 2020, 3:46 am
Their are several different studies happening- I just copied and pasted this from the consent:

Trial volunteers will receive two intramuscular injections approximately 28 days apart. Participants will be randomly assigned 1:1 to receive either two 100 microgram (mcg) injections of mRNA-1273 or two shots of a saline placebo. The trial is blinded, so the investigators and the participants will not know who is assigned to which group.

Rappel

Post Sun, Aug 30 2020, 4:13 am
I just read up on mRNA vaccines. Absolute genius. I hope it works well.

Hatzlacha notshanarishona! Please keep on keeping us posted, and I hope your family will be able to safely move about soon!

keym

Post Sun, Aug 30 2020, 5:24 am
notshanarishona wrote:
I just got tested for antibodies on Friday (one week past the 2nd vaccine) and next week they will tell me my level. No major side effects at all. 2nd one went smoother than the first one.

Thanks for updating us. This whole thing is fascinating to me.
If the test reveals that you have antibodies, doesn't that take away from the blindness of the study (meaning you know that you got the Corona as opposed to the placebo)?
Would that change anything about your behavior/level of risk you'll be willing to take?
Are you restricted from any behaviors to keep the testing even? (ie allowing yourself to be near people who may be sick)?

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Aug 30 2020, 3:53 pm
The point of the blindness of the study from what I understand is for them to see what side effects people get from the vaccine as opposed to a placebo. I have still been pretty careful as far as always masks and not going anywhere crowded but I did return to work in person with precautions last week.

They also have tested me for corona at each appointment.
If I find out I have a high level of antibodies I will probably start being more “normal”.

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 12:51 pm
So here is the fun update- I had antibodies in September . And now I have Covid. Full case. One of 5 people in the study. Trust me to be that exception to the rule.
Page 2 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics