Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Why is a rebbe not considered "working"
Previous  1  2

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Jul 22 2020, 8:53 pm
Op the people who don't consider a rebbi to be working are the ones who consider working to be a bad thing. I've never heard of anyone looking down at a rabbi. But people have done a double take after hearing that my husband is now "working" (Lakewood yeshiva area)

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Jul 22 2020, 9:48 pm
there's also sometimes perks like discounted food before y"t that our for people in klei kodesh- shul rabbis, teachers in schools... or for klei kodesh and kollel, regular "working" guys don't qualify so it's not that we don't consider them working but they are often treated differently.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 9:04 am
zaq wrote:
That is utterly insane. Even if you do love what you do--even if you were to say "I love my job so much, I should be paying my employer for the privilege"--why is that not working? Most people work harder at the things they love. What, it's not work unless you hate it?

I felt that way when I got my first job because I was getting paid to do the thing I had been doing for many years without getting paid (and paying for the privilege!)
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics