Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Laundry after chatzos
Previous  1  2

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 1:56 pm
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
Would a woman sitting shivah RL ask if she may wash laundry? Hello wake up and smell the coffee

No coffee on Tisha B'Av.

After my mom was niftar, while I was sitting shiva at my father's home, he begged me to show him how to use the washer. He'd never done it in his life. So much for that theory.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 4:32 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
What's the difference between tonight after the fast and tomorrow morning before chatzos?

Really we are supposed to wait until after chatzot to do laundry. Since tomorrow is shabbat, we are allowed to do laundry tomorrow morning. We avoid doing it tonight, if possible, so we can keep at least a little of the “until after chatzot” feeling.
As an aside, I asked my father if I can cook for shabbat today. He said yes, but anything meat or chicken should be cooked tomorrow.

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 4:35 pm
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
Would a woman sitting shivah RL ask if she may wash laundry? Hello wake up and smell the coffee

Smelling coffee now would make my stomach curdle. I'd rather not.

ExtraCredit

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 4:56 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
Smelling coffee now would make my stomach curdle. I'd rather not.

I actually think that smelling coffee would help me at the moment. I’m so in the mood of the smell. I’m just lazy to make myself one.

imasoftov

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 5:13 pm
I googled, and there is such a thing as nasal caffeine spray. Snorting coffee powder is not recommended but that might be because caffeine is much more effective nasally and it's easy to overdose. I found one spray that the dose was 1 mg of caffeine, 8 ounces of brewed coffee contains 70–140 mg, a double espresso about 125.

Mevater

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 6:02 pm
Rav Yaakov Emden implies that when Tisha B’Av falls on Thursday, as is the case this year, one may bathe or take a haircut in honor of Shabbos immediately after the fast at night. This was also the opinion of Dayan Y.Y. Fischer (Even Yisroel 7:27). However, Rav Nissim Karelitz and Rav Shmuel Wosner only permitted bathing and taking a haircut beginning Friday morning.

Rav Yaakov Emden also implies that one may begin doing laundry immediately after the fast. Rav Shlomo Zalman Auerbach (Shmiras Shabbos K’hilchasa 42, n. 15-16) writes that since this is permitted in honor of Shabbos, one may only wash clothing that is needed for Shabbos. However, Rav Nissim Karelitz (Chut Shani – Shabbos, p. 328) permitted washing all clothing immediately after the fast.

The Aruch Hashulchan (558:2) notes that when Tisha B’Av falls on Thursday there is definitely no justification to eat meat (or drink wine) before midday on Friday. Eating meat and drinking wine on Friday do not bring honor to Shabbos. Therefore, this restriction applies on Friday as well. (However, if one is invited to a seudas mitzvah, such as a siyum, one may eat meat or drink wine, even Thursday night.)

https://oukosher.org/halacha-y.....os-s/

Optione

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 7:47 pm
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:

Even if she didn't do it herself, she'd make sure it was done. At least the women in my life...
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry