Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Ant problem by my window, any advice?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 1:31 pm
Not sure where else to put this...

So my husband and I are living in a basement apartment. Our landlords live above us they're really wonderful people.

We have a window in our room that overlooks the deck and when I clean our room I always dust the window etc and I've been noticing tiny ants coming in! yuck! I spray bleach and then clean it all up. I cleaned it yesterday and this morning I noticed more tiny ants. Is this something we address with our landlord? I think its because the seal of the window is not so tight...but what can my landlord do about it?

teachkids

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 1:37 pm
Try the raid ant gel around the window cracks. Also ask them if they can spray something stronger around the window outside.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 2:17 pm
You can speak to your landlord about it. In my experience ants were always seasonal and it didn't really make any sense to treat it.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 2:23 pm
I used terro bait traps and totally reduced ant problem at my front door.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 2:51 pm
Use both ant baits and ant gel simultaneously. It takes a bit of patience but takes care of it.

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 4:33 pm
I use Ortho Home defense insect killer. It works. You should spray around the entire perimeter of every door and window. And along the perimeter of every room.

Ants are seasonal. It’s part of suburban living (I’ll take them over city roaches any day 😄)

isrmss91

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 5:29 pm
Combat Max ant killing gel. I had 3 different kind of ants. It worked on all. last week had ants on in upstairs window, and put gel. The ants devoured every piece and were gone by morning. You will see tons of ants eating. Let them enjoy it. They take the rest back and kill the colony. I do not like to use sprays. They are a temporary fix, and I tried the Terro ant baits. Found some ants drowned in it. I also had a grandbaby find one.. So the Combat gel was great and found it to be more effective.

https://www.amazon.com/Combat-.....QT5IG

Last edited by isrmss91 on Thu, Jul 30 2020, 5:43 pm; edited 3 times in total

4pom

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 5:33 pm
Chayalle wrote:
I used terro bait traps and totally reduced ant problem at my front door.

Same here.
It is safe way to handle them. For one day you will see even more ants and then they take the stuff back to the source and that eradicates them.
BH.

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 5:33 pm
I think gel only works if the source of your ants comes from inside your house. If they are coming from outside the gel won’t prevent that. You need something that keeps them out.

tryinghard

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 5:34 pm
Pour a line of dish soap all along the window, so the ants will have to walk across it to get beyond the window. Most ants won't cross the line.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 5:36 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
I think gel only works if the source of your ants comes from inside your house. If they are coming from outside the gel won’t prevent that. You need something that keeps them out.

right so that was my next q. they're not coming from inside my house theyre coming from the outside because the seal on the window isnt great.

where would I even place these traps down?

isrmss91

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 5:41 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
right so that was my next q. they're not coming from inside my house theyre coming from the outside because the seal on the window isnt great.

where would I even place these traps down?

Use the gel. It is in a injector. You inject some of the gel in the corners. I just used it last week. They were tons eating it. By morning all traces of the gel were eaten and the ants were gone. I also had some ants by my kitchen windows. Used the gel and they were gone in a day.

4pom

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 5:59 pm
The ants were coming from outside here too. I just put the traps inside wherever I saw the ants e.g. on the window sill, And that took care if it.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 5:59 pm
isrmss91 wrote:
Use the gel. It is in a injector. You inject some of the gel in the corners. I just used it last week. They were tons eating it. By morning all traces of the gel were eaten and the ants were gone. I also had some ants by my kitchen windows. Used the gel and they were gone in a day.

ok great idea. how many should I order? they look small

Elemenopee

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 9:04 pm
Had them by my window too, this worked like magic...

https://www.target.com/p/comba.....75852

Elemenopee

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 9:05 pm
I put one station down on the window sill and 24 hours later, I haven't seen a single one

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 9:35 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Not sure where else to put this...

So my husband and I are living in a basement apartment. Our landlords live above us they're really wonderful people.

We have a window in our room that overlooks the deck and when I clean our room I always dust the window etc and I've been noticing tiny ants coming in! yuck! I spray bleach and then clean it all up. I cleaned it yesterday and this morning I noticed more tiny ants. Is this something we address with our landlord? I think its because the seal of the window is not so tight...but what can my landlord do about it?

All those solutions are toxic especially if you’re living in a small apt. Tell your landlord! It’s their responsibility!

Sebastian

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 9:42 pm
We put cinnamon. It really works and is non toxic

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 9:43 pm
Sebastian wrote:
We put cinnamon. It really works and is non toxic

That didn’t happen outside my house at all. They came right back a couple days later.

amazingmommy

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 9:50 pm
This worked for us the past 3 years. Putting besamim by our window sill (or porch door) has kept them away.
This year we put the besamim (clove) in a few cooking net bags and lined them by the window.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics