Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
S/O Eating food from the pot
Previous  1  2

realsilver

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 12:55 pm
There is a concept of kasheh lishikcha. ( makes your learning easy to forget) I think it's a concept in the gemara but don't have a source right now. A lot of the above posts apply to this concept.

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 3:51 pm
Bsimcha wrote:

Not having 2 people working on a kid same time. Ex: dressing or making their hair at same time

nothing to do with forgetting learning. you don't do it because it resembles doing a tahara on a mes: There are usually at least two people dressing the mes at the same time. For this reason also, people say you shouldn't have someone sew a grament while you're wearing it, and if you must, you should be chewing on a piece of thread at the same time. Why? I assume to give the impression that you're very much alive and participating in the sewing, not a mes whose tachrichim are being sewn on her.

corolla

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 3:53 pm
If you need to throw out bread, double wrapping it in a non-transparent covering.

naturalmom5

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 4:06 pm
Putting on two garments at once...

However, Im pretty sure all the kasha l'schicha items only apply to men...

Raw

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 6:48 pm
Don't mend clothing while you're wearing it.

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 8:20 pm
Most of the things mentioned here are for different reasons, not just forgetting learning.

The fingernail clipping out of order is because of what is done during a tahara, I thought. (As well as having more than 1 person groom another at the same time.)

I was told not sitting on a table is out of respect, because a table which has bread set on it and therefore symbolizes the mizbeach.

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 8:30 pm
A man who walks between two women will forget his learning.

Closing a Sefer someone left open will cause that person to forget his learning.

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 8:43 pm
The walking btwn 2 women is a tznius issue, I think.

zaq

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 8:54 pm
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:

I was told not sitting on a table is out of respect, because a table which has bread set on it and therefore symbolizes the mizbeach.

This at least makes sense.

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 9:05 pm
Can anyone explain to me how any of this is different than superstition? We say we have none, but in Jamaica if you’re pregnant and you look at a cow by the river, your baby will have water on the brain. So why is that a superstition and the Jewish stuff not?

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 9:05 pm
Also eating food from the pot is unsanitary. You just shouldn’t do it. Period.

BetsyTacy

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 9:08 pm
andrea levy wrote:
Also eating food from the pot is unsanitary. You just shouldn’t do it. Period.

Not if you are cooking it just for yourself and planning to eat the whole thing!
(It can be a small pot)

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 9:11 pm
BetsyTacy wrote:
Not if you are cooking it just for yourself and planning to eat the whole thing!
(It can be a small pot)

Pretty sure most of us don’t cook for one.

my mama

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 9:14 pm
Not taking out trash at night is because of the spirits that gather there.
2 people working on another, cutting nails in order, and mending clothing while it is worn is because those are done to a dead person.
Not passing a baby over a table is since a table is compared to a mizbei'ach we do not want the symbolism of child sacrifice.

my mama

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 9:16 pm
andrea levy wrote:
Can anyone explain to me how any of this is different than superstition? We say we have none, but in Jamaica if you’re pregnant and you look at a cow by the river, your baby will have water on the brain. So why is that a superstition and the Jewish stuff not?

And yes, most of it is superstition based, but are you really going to risk it? Hiding

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 9:36 pm
my mama wrote:
And yes, most of it is superstition based, but are you really going to risk it? Hiding

We think we are do holier than thou with no superstitions. What a joke.

tigerwife

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 9:40 pm
zaq wrote:
Leaving a book open when you go away. I'm pretty sure they mean a sefer, not a book of secular knowledge. Personally, I don't believe any of this stuff. However, I feel it's disrespectful to a sefer to leave it open. That's why bookmarks were invented, don't you think? I don't leave even secular books open. Call me the bookmark queen.

Not to mention, it damages the spine!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics