Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Do you brush your teeth on fast days?
Previous  1  2

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 10:08 am
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
Definitely not allowed! It's like u are breaking your fast. Once you brush teeth your not fasting anymore . I know it's very uncomfortable and I do try hard to avoid or stand next to people such a time .

Do you really think that brushing teeth with toothpaste is the same as eating a sandwich?

elisheva25

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 10:25 am
It’s not as clear
https://ohr.edu/1098

essie14

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 10:53 am
Make up is one of 5 prohibited activities of Tisha B'av and YK.
1. Eating and drinking
2 leather shoes
3. Marital relations
4. Bathing
5. Anointing

Frumme

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 11:50 am
happy chick wrote:
I could be wrong, but I don't think you're allowed on minor fast days. On a personal fast day, you're allowed.
Unless it's a mihag, and not halacha.

Not halacha, each person needs to ask their personal Rav.

We brush teeth on minor fast days, but not Tisha b av or YK. I'm Lubavitch and even within our circles there's a difference in opinion

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 12:04 pm
I remember in HS on one asarah beteves, Rabbi X, our chumash teacher, asked some of the students if they had washed their faces or brushed their teeth that morning. I felt myself turning pale because I had, and I thought he was going to say you weren't allowed to. Instead, he told the ones who hadn't washed up to go to the washroom and do so now.

pause

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 1:22 pm
I learned that applying deodorant is also assur on YK and Tisha b'av because of the issur of sicha, shmearing.

keym

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 1:31 pm
pause wrote:
I learned that applying deodorant is also assur on YK and Tisha b'av because of the issur of sicha, shmearing.

And we use spray deodorant, but the minimum needed to keep the small away.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 1:47 pm
pause wrote:

Uh that's why we use spray. We use spray every shabbos.

essie14

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 1:52 pm
pause wrote:

Every rabbi I have learned with allows spray anti perspirant on shabbat, YK and TB.

malki2

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 2:03 pm
You can’t brush or use mouthwash today because it’s washing which is forbidden on Tisha B’av. If you want, you can brush with a dry toothbrush.

malki2

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 2:06 pm
essie14 wrote:
Make up is one of 5 prohibited activities of Tisha B'av and YK.
1. Eating and drinking
2 leather shoes
3. Marital relations
4. Bathing
5. Anointing

To be accurate, bathing is what’s prohibited in the 9 days. On Tisha B’av you can’t wash at all. Not even your little finger. Unless you need to wash off dirt. Or after the bathroom.

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 4:33 pm
So flossing is ok?

fleetwood

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 5:15 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
So flossing is ok?

What do you need to floss? You didn't eat anything 😉

malki2

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 5:20 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
So flossing is ok?

Why not? Unless it’s flavored.

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 7:19 pm
Some people don't brush their teeth on any fast, but you really can on most fasts except yk. tisha bav- you should try not to but on tisha bav, I once asked a rav if I can brush my teeth since I was working, couldn't take off, and I have to work with other people, and he said in that case you can brush your teeth, since it wouldn't be nice to other people to go in with bad breath.
You're allowed to use deodorant on tisha bav, only yk not.

Elemenopee

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 7:27 pm
giselle wrote:
I don’t see why brushing your teeth would be different than mouthwash.. meaning if you hold one is ok than the other should be as well and vice versa.

Mouthwash doesn't necessarily require any water to rinse.

salamanca

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 11:03 pm
essie14 wrote:
Every rabbi I have learned with allows spray anti perspirant on shabbat, YK and TB.

Using spray or roll on Shabbos is to avoid the issur of smoothing/smearing. This has nothing to do with the issur of anointing oneself on Y"K and Tisha B'av. That issuer includes deodorant of all kinds, lotions and creams of all kinds and as far as I know, makeup of all kinds. The prohibition on Shabbos has to do with issur melacha. The issue on Y"K and T"B is innuy.

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 11:38 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Morning!
Do you brush your teeth on fast days?
Otherwise, are we allowed to daven with our mouths unclean?
I kind of feel stupid calling my Rabbi about this but I'll definitely ask him next time we chat. Just seeing if I can get some clear answers here.

Absolutely not allowed
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note