Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Quick! I've never made cholent

westchestermom

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 10:01 am
I have a small package of flanken and all the other basic ingredients. What recipes do you recommend? I don't have kishka. Do I really have to use ketchup? Does it make it taste good?

#BestBubby

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 10:05 am
Don't know how big a chulent you need.

Saute a large onion with the meat so it gets brown. Add beans, barley and potatoes.
Add water, an inch above. Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder and paprika.

optional: ketchup, bbq sauce, brown sugar or honey.

Before shobbos, check the water - add enough to just cover.

Hatzlochah!

Bruria

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 10:08 am
Add tomato sauce, makes a huge difference!

ohmygosh

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 10:28 am
I've made it with water, spices, ketchup and hot sauce. I've also used soy sauce in place of the hot sauce (different recipe). The condiments add a lot of flavor.

zaq

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 10:30 am
Cholent is a dish that is defined by each cook; there's no definitive recipe or even ingredients. Meat, beans, potatoes and barley are classic basics and yet many people make cholent without one or more of these.

Some people use ketchup; I'm partial to tomato sauce as ketchup has way too much sugar. My ds doesn't use tomato sauce. My dil doesn't use beans, my sil doesn't use barley, Yekkes use something called gruenkern which is green wheat kernels, my sil uses brown rice, my bff uses sweet potatoes and carrots, I usually presoak the beans, my dd doesn't... some use a crockpot, some bake it, some cook stovetop. you get the picture.

Here's my method:
Throw into a pot your meat cut into large chunks; an onion cut up into big chunks (sliced is fine) or sauteed onion if you have any; an assortment of beans, any type, rinsed well and soaked or not, as you see fit; a heaping tablespoon or three of pearl barely, rinsed well; 2-3 potatoes cut up in chunks; 1/4 cup of lentils, any type, rinsed well, if you have them; an 8-ounce can of tomato sauce; a few cloves of garlic if you have them, or a good heavy dose of dehydrated or powdered garlic if you don't; one or two bay leaves; and as many of the following seasonings as you like: a dollop of prepared mustard, a dollop of ketchup or barbecue sauce (or omit tomato sauce and use a cup of BBQ sauce but be aware that makes it sweet), a generous sprinkle of black pepper, a couple of whole cloves or 1/4 tsp or so ground cloves, cumin or ground ginger if you like the taste. Water to cover.

Bring to a boil, then lower heat to simmer. If using crockpot, put on High till it boils, then switch to Low.

I usually end up with too much unless I start out with a very small pot. With a small pot, I naturally reduce quantities. How much you make depends on whether you're using it as a side dish or main dish, how many people you're feeding, and whether or not you want leftovers. I have no problem with leftovers as we will eat it for supper all week or freeze it. I know people who make twice as much as they need and throw the whole thing out as soon as Shabbat is over. I'm not going to tell you what I think of that; let's just say I'm not an admirer.

WitchKitty

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 10:42 am
You can always throw everything in, but the best is to cook each thing according to how long they need.

Fried onions add the flavor, so they go in first.
Cook the meat, then add the beans/barley, then potatoes.

HeartyAppetite

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 10:45 am
This is May recipe and it always gets rave reviews:
It’s a small recipe for 3-4 people
1 cup Cholent mix
1/4 cup barley
2 cloves garlic
1/2 T salt
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp white pepper
1 T chicken consommé
3 cubes sautés onions
2 bone marrow
Flanken
1 potato cubed
8 cups water
I don’t add ketchup or bbq sauce because we don’t like it sweet, we like it savory.

gonewiththewind1

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 11:37 am
My Recipe:
Saute Chopped onion and 4 garlic cubes in half cup of oil.
Add half package cheek meat and half a package kalichel all cubed
Add 2 potatoes cut in small pieces
Saute 10 minutes
Add 1/2 cup ketchup, 1TB salt, 2 shakes of black pepper, 8 shakes of garlic powder, 8 shakes of onion powder.
Mix and Add Marech or cholent bones.
Saute 10 minutes.
Add 1/3 bag navy beans, 1/3 bag barley (I soak overnight or a few hours in a mesh bag)
Make a knot at the top of the mesh bag so the beans have space to grow.
I add the beans to the pot in the mesh bag so it shouldnt stick to the bottom of the pot.
Add water to cover the beans with one inch higher than the beans.
Bring to a boil and cook for 2 hours on high.
After the first hour flip the mesh bag to the other side, after another 45 minutes, tear the mesh bag open with a knife and mix the cholent every 5 minutes for the next 15 minutes. (Until the 2 hours are up)
Turn the cholent to low and it will be ready after half an hour.
Keep on warm Setting on hotplate for shabbos.

Optional- add kishka after cooking for 1 hour
Add eggs for cholent eggs in a mesh bag after 1 hour and 45 minutes of cooking.
I use a Crockpot liner and fill the pot with a little bit of water so the liner doesnt get burnt and stick to the pot.
Flanken, cholent meat, swiss steak, pastrami can all be used instead of the meat I use.
If you don’t soak the beans they will takelonger to get softer erev shabbos.

Last edited by gonewiththewind1 on Fri, Jul 31 2020, 11:55 am; edited 3 times in total

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 11:37 am
Kishka is separate from cholent. I don't serve it every week.
My current cholent:
Pour a few cups of water into a crockpot.
Saute onions but in a minimum of oil. I make a smallish cholent, so one regular onion. Put in crockpot bag. Toss with about 1/2 c. beans, 1/2 c. barley, 2/3 lb. of stew meat (flanken, cheek meat are wonderful but regular stew is fine) and spices. Something like 2 Tbsp. paprika, salt, pepper. You can also use garlic or similar. A pinch of chili powder is great. Lately I've been squirting
mustard, and adding a tsp. or so of coffee rub. Add about 3 c. water. Place in crockpot. Turn crockpot on low.
Taste and adjust before Shabbos.

Last edited by PinkFridge on Sun, Aug 02 2020, 8:42 pm; edited 2 times in total

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 11:42 am
westchestermom wrote:
I have a small package of flanken and all the other basic ingredients. What recipes do you recommend? I don't have kishka. Do I really have to use ketchup? Does it make it taste good?

How big us your crockpot? How many people are you serving?

westchestermom

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 12:25 pm
ra_mom wrote:
How big us your crockpot? How many people are you serving?

I don't know the size but its not large. Its round inside not oval shaped. Serving 5.

westchestermom

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 5:07 pm
Does the order matter? Meat on top or bottom?

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 5:27 pm
westchestermom wrote:
Does the order matter? Meat on top or bottom?

Put the meat on top.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 5:32 pm
Use 1/2 bag cholent beans (1 cup), 1/4 bag barley (1/2 cup), 1 large or 2 small potatoes, 1/2 chopped onion, 2 garlic cloves, 1 tbsp paprika, 4 tsp salt, hunk of meat, a marrow bone and about 5.5 cups water. Optionally, equal amounts brown sugar, ketchup (and oil if no marrow bone).

westchestermom

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 6:10 pm
By the way, it was delicious! Thanks everyone. The baby especially loved it. Mushy greasy foods are perfect for her because she has only one tooth. The rest of us had it with pickles to liven it up.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics