Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Do you feel differently towards 9 Av after sitting shiva?
Previous  1  2

amother
Tangerine

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 8:45 am
I’ve bh never sat shiva however I didn’t shower Wednesday and was a complete mess on Thursday. I had a (heat) rash that was uncomfortable and I felt awful. Kept barking at my poor kids when they came close or wanted a kiss. I have no clue how it can be done for a week. I wouldn’t be able to let anyone near me

Maybe I live a comfortable cushioned 2020 life but this is where I was planted

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 8:48 am
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
I’ve bh never sat shiva however I didn’t shower Wednesday and was a complete mess on Thursday. I had a (heat) rash that was uncomfortable and I felt awful. Kept barking at my poor kids when they came close or wanted a kiss. I have no clue how it can be done for a week. I wouldn’t be able to let anyone near me

Maybe I live a comfortable cushioned 2020 life but this is where I was planted

If someone's sitting all day, vs. running around after kids/shopping in and out of cars/housework/out of housework, etc., particularly in an air-conditioned room, one doesn't work up much of a sweat.

One still gets yucky though.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 8:52 am
PinkFridge wrote:
If someone's sitting all day, vs. running around after kids/shopping in and out of cars/housework/out of housework, etc., particularly in an air-conditioned room, one doesn't work up much of a sweat.

Some people naturally sweat more than others. Some people sweat at different times of the month, or at different ages/stages of their lives.

'nuff said.

I need a shower even if I've sat in a low chair a whole day. I still feel gross.

I managed without the makeup, I can survive feeling not at my nicest-looking...but having my skin prickle and my scalp itch and feel unclean.....you get the idea....

amother
Tangerine

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 9:02 am
PinkFridge wrote:

I was in the house all day. There was zero housework on Tisha B’av. Kids had meals that were easy or cooked in advance.

amother
Tangerine

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 9:04 am
Chayalle wrote:
Some people naturally sweat more than others. Some people sweat at different times of the month, or at different ages/stages of their lives.

'nuff said.

I need a shower even if I've sat in a low chair a whole day. I still feel gross.

I managed without the makeup, I can survive feeling not at my nicest-looking...but having my skin prickle and my scalp itch and feel unclean.....you get the idea....

This.

It’s not about makeup. It’s about wanting to run away because you can’t smell yourself. It’s about feeling your scalp itch.....

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 9:34 am
Chayalle wrote:

'nuff said.

Just saying how it's possible. Not easy. It was mild enough here, and with shields, I was ok during the 9 days. Till I touched my hair. Thick, dry so I can get away with not washing it as often but still yuck. So I do get the idea.

zaq

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 10:19 am
PinkFridge wrote:

Both times I sat shiva it was in winter, and one of those days was the coldest day on record for that date. I still got grungy after a couple of days. Your body exudes substances even in the absence of exertion. Stress/distress amps up the process.

doodlesmom

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 10:58 am
Just putting it out there that the laws of the 3 weeks is like the laws of the first year of a mourner, the laws of the 9 days is like the laws of the shloshim, and he laws of tisha bav are the laws of shiva.

Many people mistakenly think that shiva and 9 days laws are equal. They are not.

Speaking from experience now, I definitely feel there is a difference in the attitude of those who have sat shiva in the past and those who didn’t.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 1:37 pm
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
I don't think that the halachos of aveilus are about respecting the niftar. .

No, they're not. But even if you didn't find the customs personally meaningful, it would be disrespectful not to observe them, as it would create a public impression that you're not mourning and that you're being mezalzel the deceased. What you do in private is, of course, your own business.

amother
Black

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 4:50 pm
doodlesmom wrote:
Just putting it out there that the laws of the 3 weeks is like the laws of the first year of a mourner, the laws of the 9 days is like the laws of the shloshim, and he laws of tisha bav are the laws of shiva.

Many people mistakenly think that shiva and 9 days laws are equal. They are not.

Speaking from experience now, I definitely feel there is a difference in the attitude of those who have sat shiva in the past and those who didn’t.

What? You can't shower for a whole month?

No, shloshim are NOT like the 9 days at all. You can have meat and wine and shower and swim and do laundry in the shloshim.

ValleyMom

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 5:16 pm
I sat shiva DURING the 9 Days and T'isha B'av.
You better believe I showered- all those people hugging me, all those germs... I showered every day of shiva.
A lot better than getting myself sick.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Aug 05 2020, 8:33 pm
I feel almost - the opposite.

For years I've been hearing speeches which include "and people are busy asking shaylos about showers in the 9 days. I have yet to have an avel asking such questions during shiva."

So for years as my father's health was precarious, one of my anxieties was how I will handle a week of no bathing. And I kept davening, let it be a shortened week!

Then we got all the books on aveilus. And they pretty much all (as I recall) say straight out "a sensitive person who is accustomed to shower or bathe daily may do so during shiva" or some such language, possibly recommending cold water etc.

(I think they also said you can wash underwear during shloshim but not with soap. I told my Rov, "come on, this is the 21st century and you can't expect me to handle that!" and he didn't)

So basically to the point above, yeah, you don't get those shaylos because the seforim tell people explicitly that they can wash!

I am sorry if I sound disrespectful but I am still fuming about all the anxiety I had for no reason.

Also to be honest I was not that close with my father (or I'm not that emotional) so aveilus was just something I was required to do.

I know a couple of people who needed clothing but did not want to take advantage of the heter to have someone else wear it. I have no such feeling.

I guess I should be sad about that.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 6:21 am
amother [ Black ] wrote:
What? You can't shower for a whole month?

No, shloshim are NOT like the 9 days at all. You can have meat and wine and shower and swim and do laundry in the shloshim.

Some people take cold showers and don't do their own laundry. If they wear freshly laundered clothes, they keep them on the floor for a bit. (Because unlike the 9 days, people aren't in a position to prewear their clothes for the month.)
There are different opinions. I would venture to say that even someone who follows the most lenient opinions is still mourning no less
ETA: Chartreuse, I just read your post. So eta to say, I'm thinking of you. Hugs!

zaq

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 7:05 am
amother [ Chartreuse ] wrote:

I guess I should be sad about that.

Nah. We have ritualized mourning so that a. others will recognize that you're mourning and respond appropriately and b. to give structure to people who would otherwise not know what to do. Even if the formulaic mourning rituals don't feel meaningful to you, you still mourn in your own personal ways that may not necessarily be visible.

Goldie1964

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 1:59 am
One of my sons was killed this year. When Tisha B'Av rolled around, I felt stubborn and only fasted. I didn't read the kinos. I thought about the Bais Hamikdash, and about my son and then I cleaned my house from top to bottom, so I wouldn't be thinking about anything.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 4:21 am
Goldie1964 wrote:
One of my sons was killed this year. When Tisha B'Av rolled around, I felt stubborn and only fasted. I didn't read the kinos. I thought about the Bais Hamikdash, and about my son and then I cleaned my house from top to bottom, so I wouldn't be thinking about anything.

I am so so sorry.
I am amazed that you were able to do as much as you did.
Whatever the most sensible thing anyone's said to you all year is, know I say it too.
Hug
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics