Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
If you weren't Jewish, how would your life be different?
  Previous  1  2  3  10  11  12

giselle

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 8:32 am
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
No, we have the equivalent of a gun held to us threatening us that we must do this. It's really not a choice.

Terribly sad, but not reflective of Judaism. I don’t know where you live that you feel this way, but there are so many ways to be a frum Jew. Maybe you can find one that doesn’t feel like the equivalent of having a gun held to you.

zaq

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 9:56 am
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
No, we have the equivalent of a gun held to us threatening us that we must do this. It's really not a choice.

It's always a choice. You choose to obey; many don't. Just as sticking to the speed limit or paying taxes is a choice. That many people choose not to comply doesn't mean that you've been forced to. You choose to comply for whatever reasons you choose, but you do choose.

Devarim 30:19

הַֽעִדֹ֨תִי בָכֶ֣ם הַיּוֹם֘ אֶת־הַשָּׁמַ֣יִם וְאֶת־הָאָ֒רֶץ֒ הַֽחַיִּ֤ים וְהַמָּ֨וֶת֙ נָתַ֣תִּי לְפָנֶ֔יךָ הַבְּרָכָ֖ה וְהַקְּלָלָ֑ה
וּבָֽחַרְתָּ֙ בַּֽחַיִּ֔ים

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 11:20 am
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
I would become christian - Inspiring and positive religion without 100's of commandments to worry about, without the constant anxiety of failing or making mistakes and ending up in hell. if you're a good kind human being who stays connected to G-d through prayers you're good to go.
I would dress the "regular" way, not cover my hair, and not keep taharas hamishpacha - which for me is the worst part of being Jewish.
Otherwise life would be the same, I love raising a family, investing in my kids.
Having said that, I'm glad I'm Jewish, that G-d considers me to be His child. Honorable position with many responsibilities.

You see, as crust says on the same p (8) and I said earlier, it's hard to play this game.
I did try, and based on the last two generations (though who knows who they'd have been) I see myself as having an innate spiritual side, but I'd like to think I'd see too many holes in Chr. to throw myself into it. I'd probably channel the spirituality into social justice.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 11:23 am
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
1) There are no fasts in Catholicism
2) Confession is generally not in a confession box today, but rather you approach the priest in turns. And tbh it was a lot less embarrassing than bringing my bloody bedikot to a Rav.

Probably some denominations more than others. I've learned with an intermarried woman whose xmil told the Jewishly identifying children that it's so sad that they won't be able to play with their cousins in heaven. I can't imagine that being across the board.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 11:24 am
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
Check this women out
Dr Tamara Morsel Eisenberg
https://www.ou.org/women/video/

Tangential but wasn't she awesome?

amother
Gray

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 1:41 pm
My religious nonjewish "friends-friends"--not acquaintances, not people I nod to at work, but people I feel a genuine connection to--have many values in common with me. One of my friends calls me, appalled, to report that she went to a party and the women were half-naked (her words). Another is concerned about her dd going off to college, what sort of influence will it be, check out the school and make sure no coed dorms. We don't get into theological discussions, but otherwise I often have in common with them than with completely frei yidden.
Page 12 of 12   Previous  1  2  3  10  11  12 Recent Topics