Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Respite home for medically fragile child

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 11:56 pm
Where in New York can one send a medically fragile special needs child for a week?
Any private people or group homes?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 12:08 am
Does "the center" run as a chessed in BP or Flatbush still exist?
I know the BP one ended up becoming legally funded through Yaldeinu. I don't know about Flatbush. Would someone doing it as a chessed, perhaps with some payment be an option?
I actually think finding it government funded in a Jewish place for such a temporary basis would be less feasible.
Also there are women in Monroe who take in children as a chessed or for pay on such a basis. I don't know more info. Lakewood also has a chessed center like this where children stay over but I remember hearing that officially they only accept children that reside in Lakewood.
I don't know if these things changed due to corona. And sorry I don’t have any more info or names.
Lev Tovah used to have a special needs respite home, I think through Hasc but I don't know if they cater to medically fragile. Maybe they still exist but I don't know anything about them recently.
Also there are non Jewish respite homes for special needs children meant for emergency temporary overnight respite care and staying for a week would be a typical thing. Some of them may be very respectful and accomodating to Jewish children such as in regards to Kashrus.

amother
Turquoise

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 12:09 am
st Mary’s in bayside does this

amother
Aquamarine

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 12:10 am
Oh and also Bnos for shabbos afternoon boys in BP, I think Yadideinu, the girls running it might have some leads?
Again I have no info.
OP it would be best if you posted in the special needs forum and made your title more clear as to what you are looking for .

Sunny Days

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 12:12 am
I know someone in Kensington who does this.
There are also potentially other options- depending on child’s age and if they have opwdd services and what medical needs are. Like menucha respite home, or hasc respite home. (These 2 in Brooklyn)
Hamaspik recently opened a respite home too, in Monroe I believe.

Last edited by Sunny Days on Fri, Jul 31 2020, 9:40 am; edited 1 time in total

Sunny Days

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 12:15 am
http://www.beineinu.org/servic.....needs

But I don’t think any of these homes can accommodate a child that needs full time nursing care for eg a kid with a trach as they’re liable for that.

amother
Jetblack

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 12:16 am
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
st Mary’s in bayside does this

Please stay away from St. Mary's.
Contact hasc, they might be able to help you. Or if the child is in school, the school may be able to help you as well.

Mama Bear

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 12:30 am
Mrs. Getter in BP. (she might be really full now though)
Lev Tovah which is run by HASC.
Depends how medically fragile, does she need nursing care?

amother
Amethyst

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 1:06 am

amother
Jade

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 1:06 am
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
Contact hasc, they might be able to help you. Or if the child is in school, the school may be able to help you as well.

I had an excellent experience with St. Mary's. My son was there.

amother
Blue

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 3:08 am
Mama Bear wrote:
Mrs. Getter in BP. (she might be really full now though)
Lev Tovah which is run by HASC.
Depends how medically fragile, does she need nursing care?

Mrs. Getter doesn't take child with major medical needs, like with trach or constant monitoring, nursing care

amother
Turquoise

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 6:35 am
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:

Why would you say that without offering more information as to why?

momwifedaughter

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 7:06 am
Hamaspik has a new program where u can drop off shabbos and for the week etc. I would trust them fully. It's a new system

naomi2

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 8:55 am
Lev tova is still open and wonderful. They have a nurse on staff but I didn't know specifics of how medically fragile they can accommodate. The home is beautiful and the staff is all frum girls. Only about 6-8 kids in the home at once.

amother
Jetblack

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 8:59 am
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
I had an excellent experience with St. Mary's. My son was there.

We had awful experience. The kids are basically ignored & left to stare at the wall. They didn't do anything stimulating with him. Whenever we went he smelled and had a dirty diaper. He was barely held, was basically lying in the crib all the time. It's a very nice up to date place but that's about it. Bh we got in elsewhere quicker than we thought.

Mama Bear

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 2:14 pm
Children who need trache care is a whole other level. I think St Mary's is the only place that will do it.
Did you try Sunshine Children's hospital? Or Elizabeth Seton?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 2:16 pm
Thank you all
We are waiting for a response from Hamaspik of orange County in Monroe

snowflake1

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 2:26 pm
I I don’t know a lot about it but I believe in Monsey there is a home. I think it’s run through yidei chesed I think it’s called rainbow House or sunshine house

amother
Jetblack

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 2:39 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
Children who need trache care is a whole other level. I think St Mary's is the only place that will do it.
Did you try Sunshine Children's hospital? Or Elizabeth Seton?

Sunshine only does long term care. I wonder if there are homes that take just for a week. Maybe Blythedale.

wtvr

Post Mon, Aug 24 2020, 11:08 pm
What is the contact info for Mrs. Getter?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries