Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
Curried Parsnip and Apple Soup

Amarante

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 3:17 pm
I have been sorting through recipes I made in the past so will post the ones I liked

I love parsnips so I was excited to find this recipe. I generally use them in either stews or roasted although I made a pretty good parsnip cake once. Smile

You can modify the ingredients and make this either pareve or dairy depending on whether you use veggie or chicken stock. I made it a dairy version as I wanted to indulge in some cream at thee end and it worked with my menu for that evening. Smile

A handheld immersion blender simplifies pureeing for soups so much. I can't believe I used to go through transferring hot soup to a blender or food processor instead of using the immersion blender in the pot.

Like all soups, it is freezable and improves if you serve it the next day when the ingredients have had time to marry.

CURRIED PARSNIP AND APPLE SOUP

Excerpt From: Jane Green - Good Taste

The beauty of this soup, which has become our mainstay, is that it get better with time. Make it the day before and the spices really come out. Omit the cream and it doesn’t really get healthier.

SERVES 6

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon butter (or olive oil)
1 pound parsnips, peeled and cut into chunks
2 apples, peeled, cored and sliced
2 stalks celery, finely chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
2 teaspoons curry powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 clove garlic, crushed
4 cups good chicken or vegetable stock
Salt and pepper
¼ cup heavy cream - or omit for health or if you want to use as pareve soup
Small bunch of chives, finely chopped
Thinly sliced apples, sautéed in butter until golden to garnish (optional)

Method:

Heat the butter and, when foaming, add parsnips, apples, celery and onions, and soften them without letting them change color.

Add curry, cumin, coriander and garlic and cook for about 2 minutes, stirring all the time. Add the stock, bring to boil, cover and turn down to simmer gently for half an hour or until parsnips are soft. Purée with handheld blender and add more stock if too thick. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add cream. Garnish with chopped chives, and apples, if using.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics