Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
How could hydrooxchloroquine be harmful?
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 10:12 am
I'm no expert. How can any medical person claim that this drug is harmful when it's been used for so many years for so many things? It's not as if this is a new drug that's never been tested. It's one thing to say that the drug isn't helpful in curing. But how can they say it's dangerous? It's a 50 year old drug. Now it's dangerous? What am I missing?

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 10:26 am
Every drug can be harmful hence needing a pharmacist.

ces

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 10:39 am
The dose used for covid is much higher than the dose prescribed for lupus.

Also, there are side effects and it can be toxic. As with every prescription drug, the doctor needs to weigh the risks and benefits. The fact that benefits outweigh risks for some conditions doesn't mean there are no risks or side effects.

amother
Seagreen

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 10:58 am
Its all political. It was safe before covid

amother
Red

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 11:05 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm no expert. How can any medical person claim that this drug is harmful when it's been used for so many years for so many things? It's not as if this is a new drug that's never been tested. It's one thing to say that the drug isn't helpful in curing. But how can they say it's dangerous? It's a 50 year old drug. Now it's dangerous? What am I missing?

You’re missing that anything the
Presidnt talks about the democrats have to say its bad

Amarante

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 11:05 am
It always had side effects. However the benefit to those needing it outweighed their potential risk factors especially when monitored as it would be.

Since there is no currently valid study indicating it has any benefit in treating Covid, the risks outweigh the benefit for that purpose.

Why in the world would people think that multiple scientists would have an agenda to not find treatments. I find the politicizing of science to be sad. Masks have also become politicized and there seems to be a correlation.

frumPA

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 11:31 am
It causes QT prolongation which can cause cardiac arrest. Its a side effect and I dont know what the statistics are with how often it happens but to risk that for a drug thats not effective makes no sense. We did give it to everyone in beginning of covid because we had nothing else to give but as of June it was stopped being given in the hospital since it was ineffective. And btw it was being given way before Trump announced about it. Its not a Trump thing.

amother
Peach

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 2:03 pm
It causes arrhythmia, which dangerous for many people with cardiac issues. It cannot just be given randomly by any pcp/np. You need to know what ur doing - correct dosages, monitor the patient...This is not political. Theres good medical, scientific reasons to prescribe this carefully

nchr

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 2:11 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

There are many medications that have severe side effects, especially for certain portions of the population. Not every individual can take every medicine and some doses may not be safe. That is why only your doctor who knows your medical history should prescribe medicine to you!

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 2:26 pm
nchr wrote:
There are many medications that have severe side effects, especially for certain portions of the population. Not every individual can take every medicine and some doses may not be safe. That is why only your doctor who knows your medical history should prescribe medicine to you!

Fair enough, but this medication was completely banned for everyone across the board. There's no way it gives every single person harmful side effects.

Amarante

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 2:41 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Fair enough, but this medication was completely banned for everyone across the board. There's no way it gives every single person harmful side effects.

It hasn’t been banned for every purpose.

I believe it is only in Ohio because there is no scientifically shown benefit for use with COVID and the risks therefore outweigh the benefits. As I recall, the largest study showed that even with COVID patients in a hospital those being treated with the drug had worse outcomes than those who took the placebo.

southernbubby

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 2:44 pm
Amarante wrote:
It always had side effects. However the benefit to those needing it outweighed their potential risk factors especially when monitored as it would be.

Since there is no currently valid study indicating it has any benefit in treating Covid, the risks outweigh the benefit for that purpose.

Why in the world would people think that multiple scientists would have an agenda to not find treatments. I find the politicizing of science to be sad. Masks have also become politicized and there seems to be a correlation.

The correlation is that if nothing is being done to prevent the virus, such as masks, SD, lockdowns, vaccines, etc, then there has to be a way to deal with the inevitable infections.

Basically LW = prevention
RW=rescue

Personally I think it should be an option because there is anecdotal evidence that it works but I know of a couple of people who hated the side effects and didn't see the virus disappear an hour sooner than it would have had they not taken it. Obviously some people get better on their own so we don't know if the medicine did anything.
There isn't a ton of great options at this point.

amother
Indigo

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 2:44 pm
Trump encourages it, of course it’s harmful!
It harmful to the Democrats agenda to win the upcoming election.

Amarante

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 2:47 pm
southernbubby wrote:
The correlation is that if nothing is being done to prevent the virus, such as masks, SD, lockdowns, vaccines, etc, then there has to be a way to deal with the inevitable infections.

Basically LW = prevention
RW=rescue

Personally I think it should be an option because there is anecdotal evidence that it works but I know of a couple of people who hated the side effects and didn't see the virus disappear an hour sooner than it would have had they not taken it. Obviously some people get better on their own so we don't know if the medicine did anything.
There isn't a ton of great options at this point.

There are treatments at this point which have been shown to actually be helpful in treating COVID. They aren’t silver bullets but it would be medical malpractice to prescribe a dangerous drug which has been shown to be ineffective versus using those treatments which have been been demonstrated to be somewhat effective.

Amarante

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 2:53 pm
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
Trump encourages it, of course it’s harmful!
It harmful to the Democrats agenda to win the upcoming election.

Do you realize how crazy your theory is?

No one in the world is using this treatment. It has been universally discredited by several scientific studies.

So you think all of the world’s scientists and doctors are conspiring with Democrats in the USA to prevent Trump’s election.

How can anyone leave their logic so behind and come up with conspiracies that defy all rational thinking.

amother
Indigo

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 2:56 pm
Amarante wrote:
Do you realize how crazy your theory is?

No one in the world is using this treatment. It has been universally discredited by several scientific studies.

So you think all of the world’s scientists and doctors are conspiring with Democrats in the USA to prevent Trump’s election.

How can anyone leave their logic so behind and come up with conspiracies that defy all rational thinking.

You also know there are plenty doctors who swear by it and have proven facts how it saved hundreds of lives .

southernbubby

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 3:12 pm
Amarante wrote:
There are treatments at this point which have been shown to actually be helpful in treating COVID. They aren’t silver bullets but it would be medical malpractice to prescribe a dangerous drug which has been shown to be ineffective versus using those treatments which have been been demonstrated to be somewhat effective.

The cocktail is supposed to be like Tamiflu; given at the onset of symptoms. The other treatments are designed for more severe cases that don't self resolve.
In a situation where there is adequate hospital care, wait and see isn't a bad thing but if this drug is properly supervised, at least Risch at Yale says that it's worth a try.

nchr

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 3:36 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

It's not banned across the board AFAIK.

southernbubby

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 3:51 pm
nchr wrote:
It's not banned across the board AFAIK.

No but not every doctor will prescribe it nor will every pharmacy fill it.

gold21

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 4:05 pm
southernbubby wrote:
The cocktail is supposed to be like Tamiflu; given at the onset of symptoms. The other treatments are designed for more severe cases that don't self resolve.
In a situation where there is adequate hospital care, wait and see isn't a bad thing but if this drug is properly supervised, at least Risch at Yale says that it's worth a try.

exactly
Page 1 of 7   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics