Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
NY: Do you expect people to follow rules of quarantining?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 5:10 pm
Do you expect that people coming from other states who by law need to quarantine, are complying?

I have one sibling driving in from Chicago who does not. One sibling who is flying her 2 kids in through NJ as a loophole.

I am in NY and am absolutely appalled. I wonder if I am just being naiive. Everyone I speak to is waving this law off as "whatever" and "just a political thing".

little neshamala

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 5:14 pm
I am in NY and am just as appalled to hear that as you are.
My mother (age 60) very nearly died.
My uncle did die.
My neighbor died as well.
My brother's Rebi had a corona related stroke, was on a respirator, and now is paralyzed on half his body.
My aunt was in a coma from covid for 3 months, woke up, was given a tracheostomy.

So.
how DARE they not quarantine. HOW DARE THEY?!

chestnut

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 5:19 pm
No, I don't expect them to quarantine. People aren't even wearing masks and justify that, forget about staying home for 2 weeks. People are selfish by nature, plus there is no real punishment or oversight for this.

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 5:20 pm
neighbors of mine just returned from North Carolina. They are not quarantining at all Banging head they are an older couple too. Probably most at-risk.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 5:28 pm
My reaction exactly... HOW DARE THEY. And, WHAT MAKES THEM ABOVE THE LAW?

My sister in Florida had an epic tantrum when she found out that someone we knew from NY was coming to Florida for Pesach. "They are coming here and infecting our kids and our community" etc. She was completely right. But now that it's the opposite, even though numbers in Florida are higher than they ever were in NY, suddenly conveniently it's OK.

I am so disgusted by how selfish people are being.

And (get this) I got the guilt trip from my parents for refusing to come and spend Shabbat with them while "the family is here". My (very high risk) dad is sure that it's all safe. After all, everyone will be very careful and wash their hands.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 5:47 pm
And people ask why Hashem sent the virus. No, it's probably not because people talk in shul, have big weddings, wear sheitals, have smart phones, or rejected kids from yeshivas. Maybe it was just plain selfishness.

rae

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 6:00 pm
Southern Bubby, I think moshiach is not here because of how we’re hating each other. Sinaas Chinam is what we have to work on to bring moshiach. NOT quarantining.

rae

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 6:02 pm
Accept people who are scared of the virus, respect their beliefs. On the flip side, respect people who think it’s political. Do what you need to do to keep safe. No one has a right to impose their beliefs on others. The problem here is people think if you do t listen to their rules, you’re getting them sick. It’s ridiculous and proven false over and over.

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 6:04 pm
We do not believe that Hashem Sent this to punish us chas v shalom.

Perhaps our Loving Father Sent it to wake us all up and prepare the whole world to greet Moshiach!
Not everyone in the world even knows there is Hashem -- we are his shock troops...and just as this germ is invisible and can wreak havoc R"L so too is Hashem "invisible" and can create all good k'cheref ayn

Or as the Lubavitcher Rebbe said (paraphrasing) when asked about the Holocaust: we just do not know. But he never said it was a punishment. Or deserved. Or pointed fingers afaik.

And after he prescribed AHAVAS CHINAM.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 6:09 pm
rae wrote:
Accept people who are scared of the virus, respect their beliefs. On the flip side, respect people who think it’s political. Do what you need to do to keep safe. No one has a right to impose their beliefs on others. The problem here is people think if you do t listen to their rules, you’re getting them sick. It’s ridiculous and proven false over and over.

Fine, forget the danger. This is the law, not a "belief". Whether you think it's stupid or not.

I think paying taxes at the rate I do is stupid. I still do it. I think stopping at a red light at 2am is stupid. I still do it. I am not above the law. Knowingly breaking the law and being supported by others who know what you're doing and is just messed up.

Maybe it's not being enforced and the chances of being caught are low. If I can rob a bank and know I won't get caught, should I do it? I have a "belief" that the government is ridiculous and wasting money and I deserve a stimulus check that I haven't gotten yet.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 6:10 pm
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:

And after he prescribed AHAVAS CHINAM.

Maybe part of loving others is not knowingly putting them in unnecessary danger because you want a vacation.

rae

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 6:16 pm
And most of us keep the law. The ones who don’t, I still have to accept them and not hate them. If I do, I’m breaking Gods law. I’m more worried about that then law of the land.

rae

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 6:17 pm
And if you’re really honest, most people twist the laws in some ways. Can you really say that you live your entire life under the exact letter of the U S law? Honest? It’s just easy to judge people to do what you do. In honesty, those sane people are probably keeping other laws better than you.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 6:19 pm
rae wrote:

One thing that has been proven true since the first virus ever infected humanity is that in order to catch a virus, a person has to be exposed to the virus and to prevent the virus, the person has to prevent exposure.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 6:27 pm
rae wrote:
And most of us keep the law. The ones who don’t, I still have to accept them and not hate them. If I do, I’m breaking Gods law. I’m more worried about that then law of the land.

My all time hero is Tuvia Bielsky who was the head of the Partisans. He is one of the bravest men who ever lived. He saved 1400 Jewish lives but he ran a tight ship. There was no messing around with saving lives.
I met some women from Jamaica, a country that got the virus under control because they were all in agreement about their personal level of responsibility.

little neshamala

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 6:39 pm
rae wrote:
The problem here is people think if you do t listen to their rules, you’re getting them sick. It’s ridiculous and proven false over and over.

I dont understand what youre saying. If people dont keep the rules, and they come from a state where infection is rampant without quarantining...yes, they can most definitely get others sick.
How can anyone say otherwise?

zaq

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 6:55 pm
Define “expect.” If you mean “believe that they are required to” as when a teacher say “I expect you to turn your homework in on time” then yes, of course. If you mean “believe that they are going to” as in “ I expect that my dd will want to attend the same school as her BFF” then, sadly, no. They don’t even bother wearing masks or maintaining their distance, you think they’re going to do anything else that’s required?

amother
Turquoise

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 6:20 pm
Wake up and smell the coffee.....where I live there is no SD or masks and we're all fine. Numbers aren't higher here so how does that explain the need for masks or sd?

Some people just need to learn to chill a bit and don't need to get so worked up over everything you see/hear from the media

amother
Lavender

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 6:38 pm
f he goes to a state that requires quarentine but to a city that has an extremely low positivity rate if he would need to quarentine upon return and was told yes so he postponed the trip.

Last edited by amother on Fri, Feb 04 2022, 4:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Jade

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 6:47 pm
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
Wake up and smell the coffee.....where I live there is no SD or masks and we're all fine. Numbers aren't higher here so how does that explain the need for masks or sd?

Some people just need to learn to chill a bit and don't need to get so worked up over everything you see/hear from the media

Are you honestly saying that to the women who lost family members?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics