Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Why does flour in israel need sifting?
Previous  1  2

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 10:25 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Wow. Would you know who said this? Would love to find out

Either way you can now buy pre-packaged sifted flour everywhere. It used to be expensive though we buy it now for only a shekel more per package.

Success10

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 10:42 am
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
Either way you can now buy pre-packaged sifted flour everywhere. It used to be expensive though we buy it now for only a shekel more per package.

Yes, if you buy in bulk, it's not so expensive. And the healthy flours like whole wheat and spelt are always pre-sifted anyway. Shop around for a sale and buy in bulk.

renslet

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 1:00 pm
I think it has to do with being a hot country. When I lived in NY I actually found bugs, black and crawling in a new bag of flour, I almost threw up.
I live in Brazil now and we check so many things that I couldn't even have dreamed that people would check, and yes I've found bugs in rice, cherry tomatoes, popcorn seeds and definitely flour

2gether

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 3:45 am
Does Israeli rice really need checking?

Britmummy

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 4:08 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Never understood this.
Im from England, where we never did this.
Does anyone ever actually find anything in their flour when they sift???

I'm also from England and definitely remember my grandmother sitting flour.
She baked several times a week and always sieved the flour first. There were occasionally flour moths or larvae. And it apparently made the cakes lighter in texture.

Rappel

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 4:14 am
2gether wrote:

Oh, yes!

It's not as bad as it once was:

You're not going to find weevils in every bag, or even once a month, but it's still worth checking for that one bag a year. I'm not normally squeamish, but it's really gross when you find them!

amother
Mustard

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 4:20 am
rzab wrote:
It used to be a much bigger problem. I have heard from two different ravs that it is no longer necessary to sift as long as the flour is stored properly. Sealed and in the fridge/freezer.

It really sounds like this is talking about pre-sifted flour - which, of course, comes sealed (unlike other flour) and must be stored in the refrigerator/freezer after opening (and if not, it will have to be sifted like regular flour).

Elfrida

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 4:40 am
2gether wrote:

Yes. And I once found bugs even in the pre checked rice, so I try to look through that before using it as well

rzab

Post Sat, Aug 01 2020, 5:39 pm
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:
It really sounds like this is talking about pre-sifted flour - which, of course, comes sealed (unlike other flour) and must be stored in the refrigerator/freezer after opening (and if not, it will have to be sifted like regular flour).

I'm definitely talking about regular flour. My friend told me of this psak and I didn't believe her so we asked our Rav about it and he agreed. (both rabbis in Dati leumi circles). You can pm if you are interested to know who. I'm not comfortable publicizing it here.

2gether

Post Wed, Aug 12 2020, 2:45 pm
Once its sifted do you check the sifter to see if there are any bugs?
What are you looking for in the rice?

renslet

Post Wed, Aug 12 2020, 3:10 pm
Well officially, the sifter doesn't let bugs through.ive definitely seen bugs left in the sifter, but only after sifting a bag that was a few months old.
Rice, I've found little white worms, seriously disgusting
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics