Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Sem for girl who struggled with mental illness

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 24 2020, 1:08 pm
She is currently stable and doing very well. Her parents don't want to hide her past, they want an administration that they can be open with.

They are willing to think out of the box. She is ready to be more independent. She is also very bright, though some of her high school grades don't reflect it, because her school work suffered when she was struggling.

Ideas? There must be other girls who've dealt with this.

imasinger

Post Fri, Jul 24 2020, 1:14 pm
PM me.

amother
Seashell

Post Fri, Jul 24 2020, 1:35 pm
Maybe yavne seminary in Cleveland.
They have a very small group and lately have been working with many non- typical girls.

amother
Wheat

Post Fri, Jul 24 2020, 2:16 pm
I went to Bnos Sarah and spoke to Mrs Epstein when I got there. I did have good grades though... honestly, it depends what type of girl she is. I have friends who were in Binas and Ateres and the seminaries worked with them as well. Pninim works with their girls, Sharfmans works with their girls...

amother
Gray

Post Fri, Jul 24 2020, 2:56 pm
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
Maybe yavne seminary in Cleveland.
They have a very small group and lately have been working with many non- typical girls.

Yavneh only had 4 girls this year. Tiny is an understatement.

amother
Taupe

Post Fri, Jul 24 2020, 7:42 pm
Ateres is very accepting.

My daughter was there recently, so let me know if you want more information

amother
Slategray

Post Fri, Jul 24 2020, 8:03 pm
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
Yavneh only had 4 girls this year. Tiny is an understatement.

Actually 3 girls...more like miniscule. They had 3 girls last year as well.

I know girls who struggle/d with severe depression, anxiety, personality disorders, and they got support from their seminaries - Darchei Binah has a therapist on staff I believe, and Midreshet Tehillah has a very very good therapist they refer girls to.

What hashkafa are you looking for?

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sat, Jul 25 2020, 1:56 pm
Chedvas is technically a shana bet/american israeli program but they do allow exceptions. They've taken in girls who were 16 or 17 and put israelis in the shana bet program.

It's BY - not sure if that's her hashkafa

amother
Mustard

Post Sat, Jul 25 2020, 11:30 pm
I agree with the others on this thread who’ve suggested Ateres. It’s a wonderful, open minded, emotionally aware seminary.

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 1:46 am
Wait sorry to sidetrack here but Yavne is still open?? I thought they closed! were the 3-4 girls all local Cleveland girls? Who is running it, Rebbetzin Goldberg? (signed, a Yavne girl for life Heart)

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 6:27 am
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
Wait sorry to sidetrack here but Yavne is still open?? I thought they closed! were the 3-4 girls all local Cleveland girls? Who is running it, Rebbetzin Goldberg? (signed, a Yavne girl for life Heart)

They were dormant for a couple of years, a few years ago, but the past two years they have been open again with three girls each year. All three girls (from each year) were not from Cleveland. And yup Rebbetzin Goldberg tlit”a runs it.

Another Yavne Grad 💗

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 9:02 pm
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
They were dormant for a couple of years, a few years ago, but the past two years they have been open again with three girls each year. All three girls (from each year) were not from Cleveland. And yup Rebbetzin Goldberg tlit”a runs it.

Another Yavne Grad 💗

wow this is unbelievable.  I did not know this.  Who are the teachers? Is Rebbetzin Einstadter still involved? Who teaches chumash? Shiurei Daas? is it still a 2 year program? Are there still chumash bekiyus tests? Smile

my long-dormant fantasy is having one of my daughters go to Yavne.. I wonder if it will experience a renaissance due to more girls staying in the US now with all the Covid uncertainty..

I can't imagine the experience being in any way comparable without Morah a"h though.. Sad  (I like Rebbetzin Goldberg very much but I never had her as a teacher--she was not involved in Yavne when I was there, although the Rosh Yeshiva Reb Dovid Goldberg gave us one of the best shiurim I've ever had in my life before the yamim noraim, so if he is at all a regular speaker there it would be worth going just for that.)

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 12:42 pm
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:

Another Yavne Grad 💗

I am especially interested to know if they are still a 2 year program because I have a daughter who just finished seminary who is deciding what to do this year (she is probably going back to EY b'ezH)

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 1:02 pm
wow this is unbelievable.  I did not know this.  Who are the teachers? Is Rebbetzin Einstadter still involved? Who teaches chumash? Shiurei Daas? is it still a 2 year program? Are there still chumash bekiyus tests? Smile

my long-dormant fantasy is having one of my daughters go to Yavne.. I wonder if it will experience a renaissance due to more girls staying in the US now with all the Covid uncertainty..

I can't imagine the experience being in any way comparable without Morah a"h though.. Sad  (I like Rebbetzin Goldberg very much but I never had her as a teacher--she was not involved in Yavne when I was there, although the Rosh Yeshiva Reb Dovid Goldberg gave us one of the best shiurim I've ever had in my life before the yamim noraim, so if he is at all a regular speaker there it would be worth going just for that.)

I think Rabbi Gross teaches Chumash but not entirely sure. Mrs. Einstadter is not teaching there anymore and neither is Rebbetzin Barkin. Such a chaval!!! But Mrs. Klahr is there bH and various other teachers. Mrs. Goldberg teaches from her husband’s seforim for her machshaves yisroel class.

It’s a rotating curriculum so that girls who come for 2 years get both curricular tracks. There are officially bekius tests but wayyyyyyyyyy less intense than they were in Morah’s day a”h. Morah wasn’t really so involved for the past several years, which is also a chaval. Amother blonde around how long ago were you a Yavne girl? (I know, once a Yavne girl, always a Yavne girl Wink

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 2:49 pm
There's a Rebbetzin Finkel in Y"m who has two programs I believe, one more therapeutic and perhaps one more mainstream, or possibly they overlap. I know two troubled girls who went.

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 7:32 pm
If you are open and honest about it, Pninim is amazing and also very open and honest if they can help someone or not. They only take girls they feel they can help. They take girls who want to be better, even if they aren't there yet. The staff, class and girls are amazing!! Everyone who went /goes loves it!!!
Signed, a Pninim girl for life!

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 4:39 pm
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
There's a Rebbetzin Finkel in Y"m who has two programs I believe, one more therapeutic and perhaps one more mainstream, or possibly they overlap. I know two troubled girls who went.

which reb finkle is she? first name? maiden name?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 5:02 pm
Thank you so much to everyone for responding. She went to a mainstream BY highschool. I'm going to look into all the names mentioned here.

I appreciate it so much

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 8:28 pm

I highly doubt it. Yavne never had a dorm and wasn’t able to compete with newer seminaries in the states that did have dorms.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics