Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Does anyone not feel comfortable with school starting?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 6:32 pm
Seems like there are different standards amongst frum schools. And they are somewhat dependent on the attitudes of the parent clientele. Is there anyone who feels like a minority in that you are still concerned about the possibility of corona while the majority of others are not, and school is following minimal social distancing protocol?

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 6:34 pm
We all want school to start as normal please!
Thank you very much!

allthingsblue

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 6:34 pm
ME

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 6:37 pm
I am looking for people that are sympathetic and how they are handling it. To poster who said we all want school to start as normal. Please don't speak for everyone. Even the people who want school to start should realize that not everyone does, and to understand everyone's reasons and be empathetic to them.

That post did not address what I was asking.

allthingsblue

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 6:38 pm
I wish things would be done in a law abiding fashion.
I know it can be done- I see it being done in other towns and even other schools.

I want school to start, but with proper protocols in place.

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 6:40 pm
We want school to open with proper protocols and yes we are at the same time very concerned about coronavirus.

All the pediatric AMA and CDC came out in favor of opening in person.

If someone cannot risk it due to their own personal situation and risk factors they should have option of remote.

amother
Tan

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 6:40 pm
There are many who are very worried about corona but still want school to start. In my home, we began to make compromises when we saw that the effects on my children of not doing so were worse than the compromises and risks. That doesn't lower the fear, just changes the cheshbon.

We are sending to school. I am still worried.

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 6:41 pm
Maybe they could allow in person instruction for those with antibodies and make it distance learning for those who don't have any, or who don't feel comfortable going. Should be optional.

amother
Tan

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 6:42 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
Maybe they could allow in person instruction for those with antibodies and make it distance learning for those who don't have any, or who don't feel comfortable going. Should be optional.

My kids' schools are doing in person for anyone that wants and Zooming it for the families that don't (or for the one or two kids they don't want to send.) This is also helpful if your kid has to be out for two weeks because they have a cold.

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 6:44 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Seems like there are different standards amongst frum schools. And they are somewhat dependent on the attitudes of the parent clientele. Is there anyone who feels like a minority in that you are still concerned about the possibility of corona while the majority of others are not, and school is following minimal social distancing protocol?

Yes I’m very concerned and hoping they don’t open while it’s still unsafe. None of them will keep the precautions just like the camps aren’t
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:

Antibodies disappear after a couple weeks in a lot of people and they don’t mean a person can’t get it

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 6:51 pm
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
My kids' schools are doing in person for anyone that wants and Zooming it for the families that don't (or for the one or two kids they don't want to send.) This is also helpful if your kid has to be out for two weeks because they have a cold.

Many of the schools are saying this, but I’m telling you as a teacher it’s not going to work. A teacher can’t effectively teach both the kids in the room and the kids on zoom at the same time. We’re either at the computer or with our live students. We can’t be in both places. Many of my classroom methods don’t translate into zoom, and the zoom methods I perfected this year don’t translate back into the classroom. One group will be getting a very inferior education.

southernbubby

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 6:55 pm
My understanding is that if a class has a case, that class will sit out for two weeks and if there is more than one class with a case, the school will close for two weeks.
I don't know what will happen to determine if typical childhood illnesses are indicative of COVID since the symptoms are the same in kids as some garden variety viruses.

Simple1

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 6:56 pm
Camps were running thru the summer - why would schools be any more worrisome?

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 7:03 pm
The protocols actually make a lot of sense. Masks, class units, dividing the school into zones to avoid cross contamination. Nothing crazy like plastic barriers and social distancing within the classroom. I'm pleasantly surprised

mha3484

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 7:04 pm
Simple1 wrote:
Camps were running thru the summer - why would schools be any more worrisome?

My sons camp is much more makpid on social distancing then school is able to be for many different reasons. I don’t see how it’s a good comparison.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 7:23 pm
Question- for those not in favor of reopening, do you work? How are the women of this country supposed to go to work while the kids are home? Not everyone has the option of working from home.

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 7:26 pm
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
Many of the schools are saying this, but I’m telling you as a teacher it’s not going to work. A teacher can’t effectively teach both the kids in the room and the kids on zoom at the same time. We’re either at the computer or with our live students. We can’t be in both places. Many of my classroom methods don’t translate into zoom, and the zoom methods I perfected this year don’t translate back into the classroom. One group will be getting a very inferior education.

Yes, I agree with this.
As a teacher, I cant monitor both online and in person, but I'm thinking my principal may tell me the impossible...

But, op, as a teacher, I am concerned that I may catch it because I dont believe kids will always be able to wear masks/social distance...

I'm also concerned my kids could catch it chas v shalom bec they tend to touch their eyes/nose etc...after touching doorknobs etc without washing with soap first....

But, I have no choice...we all need to work which means children going to school...and kids especially young kids need their education in person...

Yes...I'm concerned...

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 7:41 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
and I should have the option to send even if we don’t have anti bodies.

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 7:48 pm
OP im with you. I am very very concerned.
The plans I hear dont reassure me at all. My kids will still be mingling with enough children who go home at night and mingle with their siblings, who have all mingled with their own classmates. Then they come back to class the next day.
I dont care about hand sanitizing plans because the virus is spread mainly via respiratory, and there are no plans that can prevent that.
My kids did fabulously with zoom. I wish we would just continue like that

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 7:50 pm
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:
OP im with you. I am very very concerned.
The plans I hear dont reassure me at all. My kids will still be mingling with enough children who go home at night and mingle with their siblings, who have all mingled with their own classmates. Then they come back to class the next day.
I dont care about hand sanitizing plans because the virus is spread mainly via respiratory, and there are no plans that can prevent that.
My kids did fabulously with zoom. I wish we would just continue like that

That’s great. My kids failed everything on zoom. Please let them go back to school.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children