Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Meatballs in the oven

happy chick

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 12:43 pm
I usually cook meatballs. I use about 1 lb of chopped meat, mix w one egg and some breadcrumbs. Then I cook it in tomato sauce. Can I do the same thing, just put it in a pan and stick it in the oven? How high, un/covered and how long?

Cheiny

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 12:46 pm
happy chick wrote:
I usually cook meatballs. I use about 1 lb of chopped meat, mix w one egg and some breadcrumbs. Then I cook it in tomato sauce. Can I do the same thing, just put it in a pan and stick it in the oven? How high, un/covered and how long?

Absolutely, I do it all the time. No dirty pot. Cover meatballs with sauce, cover pan, bake at 350 for 1 1/2 hours, depending on size of meatballs. I usually turn the meatballs over halfway through cooking.

watergirl

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 12:57 pm
I do it like this when I make spaghetti-os. Its a different taste/texture than when you let them simmer in the sauce. I make meatballs a few different ways depending on what I am doing with them. When I make meatball subs, I make the balls larger and sear them on all sides first. If its for spaghetti or to serve over rice, I do it in a pot or instant pot.

happy chick

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 1:04 pm
Cheiny wrote:
Absolutely, I do it all the time. No dirty pot. Cover meatballs with sauce, cover pan, bake at 350 for 1 1/2 hours, depending on size of meatballs. I usually turn the meatballs over halfway through cooking.

So long? I usually cook them for about 40 min.

happy chick

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 1:05 pm
watergirl wrote:
I do it like this when I make spaghetti-os. Its a different taste/texture than when you let them simmer in the sauce. I make meatballs a few different ways depending on what I am doing with them. When I make meatball subs, I make the balls larger and sear them on all sides first. If its for spaghetti or to serve over rice, I do it in a pot or instant pot.

For spaghetti and meatballs, it's better cooked? How does it come out diff when you bake? Is the texture diff?

watergirl

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 1:08 pm
happy chick wrote:
For spaghetti and meatballs, it's better cooked? How does it come out diff when you bake? Is the texture diff?

The texture is different. I cant explain it. Its just a different taste and feeling.

happy chick

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 1:11 pm
Thank you both. I think I'll try baking today, I gotta go out and I won't be home to cook them.

Cheiny

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 1:12 pm
happy chick wrote:
So long? I usually cook them for about 40 min.

I usually tend to do longer than shorter but that’s up to you... we like everything well done, and of course you also have to add some time to preheat oven.

Cheiny

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 1:13 pm
watergirl wrote:
The texture is different. I cant explain it. Its just a different taste and feeling.

Really? I never noticed that at all. OP, try it and see how you like it.

avrahamama

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 1:35 pm
watergirl wrote:

For me it's a little dryer and harder baked.

Cheiny

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 1:38 pm
avrahamama wrote:
For me it's a little dryer and harder baked.

Maybe you didn’t cover them in enough sauce. Mine come out very moist each time, just made them yesterday,

invisiblecircus

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 2:57 pm
I always bake them in the oven without sauce,, then cook the sauce separately Very Happy
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics