Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Le Cruset dutch oven

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 8:40 pm
Someone gifted me one of these dutch ovens. I want to ruin it but I am also confused as to why these are worth so much money. Can someone help me and explain how I should be cooking in it?
Thanks!

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 8:53 pm
A good friend makes her cholent in it, leaves it on the blech: it retains heat all shabbos and cholent is piping hot. I never did it myself, but there is a technique to this that I'd love to learn.

Stars

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 8:56 pm
They're amazing for baking breads in them since they retain the heat and give your loaf a beautiful crust.

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 9:37 pm
Awww I've been wanting a Dutch oven for a while but can't bring myself to buy one. Iyh one day.
My grandma would make the best chicken and potatoes in it every Thursday. I do the same recipe in a Pyrex or regular pan but it's just not the same. (I know it's the pot, because she'll occasionally make it in a 9x13 when she doesn't want to wash the Dutch oven and it just tastes so different.)
Enjoy Smile

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 10:56 pm
So many things cook better in them

DrMom

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 10:59 pm
They weigh a ton, though.

We gave one to my close friend when she got married (as per her registry request) and she confessed to me years later that she seldom uses it because her wall-mounted oven is positioned very high up (she is quite short) and she has trouble lifting it.

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 11:31 pm
I have one I use at least once a week. I make my crockpot recipes in the oven in about 2 hours. I’ve also cooked in it on the stove when my oven was out of operation. It’s perfect for those recipes that need both oven and stove. It’s non stick for great browning plus easy clean up. Yes it’s heavy. Yes it doesn’t nest in the cabinet with my other pots.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 1:17 am
I'm so jealous! It's a speciality item. If you're into fancier cooking or just a food snob like me it's a dream come true! It isn't an every day item rather specific types of recipes that call for a dutch oven..

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 3:46 am
I have several. (Found insane sales years back) I’m obsessed and use them everything! roasts, stews, chilis. I made a roast chicken in my small one for shabbos.

fleetwood

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 3:57 am
I make tagine and corned beef. I love it!

zaq

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 1:02 pm
Heavier pots can cook food for longer with less water without burning. One fine day in Williams-Sonoma's cookware-p*rn dept, I looked at a gorgeous, highly-touted enamel-coated cast-iron covered skillet. With both hands I could barely lift it off the shelf, and it was empty. Obviously it wasn't going to be my friend in the kitchen. The late, great Julia Child, who once lugged a piece of marble sculpture from the market up to her top-floor Paris walkup apartment, could dance around her kitchen with one of these monsters in one hand. Zenobia Zaqarias, who can bench-press 20 lbs, not so much.

mha3484

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 1:05 pm
I have a slightly cheaper one called a fontinac its amazing. I make everything in it, soups, roasts, chicken dishes. It conducts heat very very well. And produces really even results. The nice thing is that you can use it both on the stove and then put the dish in the oven to keep cooking.

Amarante

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 1:31 pm
Le Creuset is enameled cast iron and has all the benefits of a cast iron pan with none of the drawbacks - e.g. it doesn't rust or need to be pampered the way cast iron does.

Le Creuset is the Mercedes of cast iron cookware but there are other less expensive enameled cast iron cookware that will provide the same fine cooking experience.

Cast iron is unsurpassed for braising foods because it will retain even steady heat on all sides of the pan - which is why the Dutch Oven is probably the most functional style since foods cooked in a Dutch oven really benefit from cast iron functionality.

One benefit of Le Creuset is the wide range of colors that their cookware comes in. The less costly lines typically only come in red/orange and possibly black.

If one can afford it, why not. It's the kind of cookware that lasts a lifetime and can be passed on to your kids just like a Kitchenaid Mixer.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen