Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Neve Yaakov
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 22 2020, 7:45 pm
Can you tell me about this neighborhood in Yerushalyim? What type of people? What age families are living there? How anglo is it? What are the schools like?

Thanks so much!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 5:13 am
Bump

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 5:33 am
Hi! Neve Yaakov has grown a lot, and there are different parts, each with it's own flavor. The schools of the area are very chareidi, and to get in, you can't really have a smartphone and your shaitel must be short. The lower area of Neve Yaakov, "Kaminetz" came first. It has older families, many Anglos, but older mostly. The Bais Yeshiva is down there, so you do have some younger Anglo families. It is prettier and has bigger apartments.

The upper area, the "Mitchared" came later, but the buildings are older. It was originally built for imigrants (Ethiopieans and Russians) and the apartments are smaller and older, and the area is less clean. Chareidim have really almost taken over the area, but there are still many poor immigrants in the area, and it is not always comfortable to live with them. Seeing the police at your neighbor's door does not raise an eyebrow. The families are much younger and more mainstream Chareidi in the Mitchared area. There are more stores, more schools, more ganim, the post office, tipat chalav and the matnas (with an amazing pool) are all in the mitchared area. There are few true anglos, but many American Israelies. The shuls are very mainstream Israeli chareidi, and depending on your or dh's personality, you might feel like an outsider in the Mitchared.

The Ravitz neighborhood is a new area of new buildings, more expensive, and the families are more upscale, and there are no immigrants. The area is very attractive. But very few Anglos.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 5:51 am
Thanks for the reply!

Someone recommended Neve Yaakov to my parents. They are retirees. It might work for them. It for sure does not sound promising for me. I would want more open schools. Thanks!

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 6:04 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks for the reply!

Someone recommended Neve Yaakov to my parents. They are retirees. It might work for them. It for sure does not sound promising for me. I would want more open schools. Thanks!

The Kaminetz area could work very well for retirees. There are good buses, and there are a couple of health clinics and some supermarkets and a hardware store. There are English shiurim and a stunning view of the hills.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 11:20 am
Anybody else?

I'm getting scared off by the expensive housing in other neighborhoods.

Are there any 30's-40's families with teen kids? Who are right wing torani/chardal type?

Any school options?

rovacat

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 11:26 am
I dont think you'll find torani/ chardal in neve yaakov. Its only mainstream charedi. French hill is 2 neighborhoods south of neve yaakov. Theres more of a mix there. And prices arent as bad as the rest of Jerusalem.

banana123

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 11:27 am
Maybe Pisgat Ze'ev?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 11:31 am
Are either of those neighborhoods similarly priced to Ramat Beit Shemesh? No way we can afford more then that.

How much is a 3 bedroom apartment going for?

Rappel

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 11:45 am
Yad2.co.il is the best place to check apartment listings. You can go by neighborhood, number of rooms, your rent budget... Anything you want to sort for.

PZ is right near Neve Yaakov, and it's a huge, sprawling, developing neighborhood. A lot of nice new buildings and services, and a mall by the light rail stop. Depending on where in PZ you go, there are Russians, secular Israelis, or Dati of all stripes...Young, old, and in between... It matters what part of it you end up in.

In French Hill, the young families serm to be very much on the dati-chareidi spectrum. There are lots of older people living there too. It's a more established and central neighborhood than PZ, so I imagine rent is a little higher, but it's still considered out of the way enough that you can find apartments at a decent price point.

Success10

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 1:25 pm
I don't really think Pisgat Zeev or French Hill would be a good place for a Torani family, not much of a community to my knowledge.

Rappel

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 8:03 pm
Success10 wrote:
I don't really think Pisgat Zeev or French Hill would be a good place for a Torani family, not much of a community to my knowledge.

I know a young family in each neighborhood, and schools in each neighborhood, so there must be more.

Success10

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 12:54 am
Rappel wrote:
I know a young family in each neighborhood, and schools in each neighborhood, so there must be more.

Are these thriving schools with a growing student body, or schools that are on the bring of being closed due to empty classrooms? There are so many amazing, affordable, thriving Torani communities outside of Jerusalem, is that an option, OP?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 3:35 pm
I'm looking for affordable housing. Where does that exist? And anglo?

essie14

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 9:27 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Jerusalem and affordable dont go together.
What's your budget?
There are many anglo neighborhoods in all types of cities and yishuvim.
What amenities are you looking for?

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 10:12 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Be'er Sheva, Lod, Kochav Yaakov, Yerucham, maybe Haifa. Efrat or Beit Shemesh (not exactly affordable but you get more for your money than in Jerusalem).

Anglo doesn't generally go together with affordable, and neither does Jerusalem. If you are willing to have some Anglos but not a whole ton of them, then there are lots more options.

IMHO you will need to choose between Jerusalem and affordable, and between Anglo and affordable. Either you will have less Anglos and not live in Jerusalem, or you will have truly affordable housing.

We chose affordable over Jerusalem, but Anglos were never an important criteria for us.

Rappel

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 11:56 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

What's your budget, OP? Smile

Success10

Post Tue, Aug 04 2020, 12:39 am
Telzstone sounds like a really good fit.

salt

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 12:26 am
Success10 wrote:
Telzstone sounds like a really good fit.

Is Telzstone torani/chardal?
That's what OP is looking for.
I thought it's charedi.

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 1:56 am
Telzstone is chareidi.
You can find torani in beit shemesh, but it's not inexpensive
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions