Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
After last baby, all at the front...

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 6:14 pm
Hi
Iv always been slightly overweight, my weight fluctuates after each birth, I havent really dieted but I was an ok size before the birth of my last baby.

my baby is now 8 months and im def the biggest iv ever been even hips, bottom etc but with my stomach, its all at the front.
so I have a lot of excess weight but its all carrying at the front, as if im pregnant. Not spread out over the sides. dont know if im making myself clear..

like when you look at me straight on, I dont look so big but my girth from back to front is really big. Is this just my body shape now or is this something to be concerned about like my stomach hasnt repaired itself after birth? like if I would lose a lot of weight will it go back to normal all around?

this last pregnancy I carried all at the front , and I really didnt put on a lot of weight anywhere else. I actually thought I would be thinner at the end of it because of thi,s but now its like all my body weight is only at the front.

I also feel that the first couple of month postpartum I was smaller and now iv gained more.

please, if anyone has any advice for me or can shed some light.

thanks so much.

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 6:41 pm
It sounds like a condition called “diastasis recti” which is an unnatural separation of the abdominal walls caused by pressure on the abdomen from things like pregnancy, obesity, years of bad posture, years of poor sitting habits, compressive clothing, etc.

I have it too.

Losing extra weight can help reduce the size of your tummy but the most most important thing is to change the way you move, sit, and exercise so your abdominal walls can strengthen and hold your gut in properly.

Katy Bowman has an excellent book all about it with corrective exercises (no crunches!) called “Diastasis Recti.”

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 6:43 pm
thanks. yes iv looked into that.
how would I know if I have it? do I see a GP about this?

I can never tell when testing myself with my fingers.

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 7:09 pm
I have diastasis recti, too.
You need a PT. Don’t try to fix it yourself, or it’ll get worse.

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 7:28 pm
No you don't need a PT, although they are a great option.

The MuTu System or Restore Your Core system will both work. Losing the Mummy Tummy (book) is also good.

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 7:42 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
No you don't need a PT, although they are a great option.

The MuTu System or Restore Your Core system will both work. Losing the Mummy Tummy (book) is also good.

They didn’t work well for me... I only have 2 kids, large space between them. I’m underweight, always had a super flat tummy, always worked out. I barely gained any weight during both of my pregnancies, and I lost all my weight within a week of giving birth. My body snapped back right away after baby #1. It took way longer and PT after baby #2.

snowflake1

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 7:45 pm
copper or Mirena iud can do this

smss

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 7:54 pm
snowflake1 wrote:
copper or Mirena iud can do this

They can cause your abdominal muscles to separate? What is your source for this statement?

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 7:55 pm
Also look into insulin resistance

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 8:31 pm
smss wrote:
They can cause your abdominal muscles to separate? What is your source for this statement?

She probably means "can cause stomach bloating."

OP never confirmed if she has diastasis recti or not.

octopus

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 9:07 pm
If your stomach domes when you lift your shoulders and head off the floor when laying down you have diastasis recti. You'll know what I'm talking about if you have it. I've been doing online exercise for it, when I do it I see a difference. But if I don't keep it up it goes right back. Do I really have to go to a pt???

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 04 2020, 3:54 pm
thankd everyone for your replies.
so I watched a video of how to test for it, and iv always thought the gap was from top to bottom , not widthways, been doing it wrong.

well I did it the right way this time, and doesnt feel like I have it, but I cant be sure.
do I go to a GP for this?
what other symptoms would it give?
does anyone else have their stomach this way long after birth?

amazingmommy

Post Tue, Aug 04 2020, 4:00 pm
Op, it sounds to me like Diastasis Recti..
It can of course be anything else.
If you live in Brooklyn, Eve from Flavorfulfit on Instagram gives a class on diastasis Recti and how to heal it. In the class she checks you and tells you if you have it and how much.
She also sells an ebook about it, how to test yourself and what to do.

Good luck!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 04 2020, 4:03 pm
thanks.
no, im in the UK.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise