Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
How often do you wash...
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 11:24 am
zaq wrote:
You never heard of hand washing? If you don't want to drip-dry in the bathroom because you have sons and guests, roll your bra in a bath towel to squeeze out as much water as possible. Buy a plastic dishpan or a big shallow tray, and find a space in your bedroom where you can hang damp things up. Look for places where you can fit a spring-loaded curtain rod, towel bar, coat rack or other device. (Check out apartmenttherapy.com for ideas.) Put the basin or tray underneath to catch drips, and hang your bras, pantyhose and other delicates up to dry.

Bigsis144's idea about washing in the shower works very well. When you shampoo your hair, you can rub the bra on your head and wash it and your hair at the same time. Shampoo works very well for hand laundry because it's made to remove skin oils and sweat.

These ideas are getting better and better- keep
Em coming!

HeartyAppetite

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 11:27 am
I wear a new bra every day, and wash them once a week. I sweat a lot.

zaq

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 11:31 am
little neshamala wrote:
I wear a new bra each day and they get washed about once a week. But to be fair, im a small size, and can find great bras in the juniors section for 10-15$ a pair. My friend told me her extra support bras cost $70...if they were that expensive id probably try to stretch out the washes

I wouldn't. Sweat and skin oils degrade spandex. Two words: HAND WASH. It's a bra, for pete's sake, not a twelve-foot-long tablecloth.

SuperWify

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 12:05 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Just curious, what do you mean by change clothes for the week of Tisha B'av?

We don’t wear fresh clothing on the week of tisha bav (except shabbos) On the Friday before we change our clothes wear them each for 15 minutes so that they aren’t fresh anymore.

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 3:22 pm
Every 2-3 days depending on various factors such as weather, sweating etc.

My bras are always in the $60 + range as they are the only ones that fit me correctly. I only handwash them, I have found that washing machines ruin bras.

At any given time, I have 4-6 of them.

Oh, and they hardly every go on sale.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 3:26 pm
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
Every 2-3 days depending on various factors such as weather, sweating etc.

My bras are always in the $60 + range as they are the only ones that fit me correctly. I only handwash them, I have found that washing machines ruin bras.

At any given time, I have 4-6 of them.

Oh, and they hardly every go on sale.

Curious what do you mean washing machines ruin them?

zaq

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 3:49 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Curious what do you mean washing machines ruin them?

depends on the machine and how you use it. Top-load agitators are harder on clothes than front load. "gentle" or "handwash" cycles are never really as gentle as hand washing. Putting items into small mesh bags helps keep straps from tangling and hooks from snagging and getting bent or yanked out, but if you put half a dozen items in one bag, they'll still interact badly. At the very least, they'll get all twisted and gnarled. Hooking the back closed before washing helps prevent the hooks from snagging. Especially an agitator-type machine, but even in a front-loader, underwires can get bent or broken. And a machine can't concentrate its efforts on the most heavily soiled parts, whereas by hand you can give extra attention to problem areas without traumatizing the whole garment.

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 3:58 pm
little neshamala wrote:
I wear a new bra each day and they get washed about once a week. But to be fair, im a small size, and can find great bras in the juniors section for 10-15$ a pair. My friend told me her extra support bras cost $70...if they were that expensive id probably try to stretch out the washes

Exactly I'm very big on top and my bras cost me around £60 each! I wash mine too infrequently too op TMI

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 4:43 pm
zaq wrote:
depends on the machine and how you use it. Top-load agitators are harder on clothes than front load. "gentle" or "handwash" cycles are never really as gentle as hand washing. Putting items into small mesh bags helps keep straps from tangling and hooks from snagging and getting bent or yanked out, but if you put half a dozen items in one bag, they'll still interact badly. At the very least, they'll get all twisted and gnarled. Hooking the back closed before washing helps prevent the hooks from snagging. Especially an agitator-type machine, but even in a front-loader, underwires can get bent or broken. And a machine can't concentrate its efforts on the most heavily soiled parts, whereas by hand you can give extra attention to problem areas without traumatizing the whole garment.

Gotcha. I have a front loader and I do use a mesh bag and close all the bras before I put them in the bag. Seemed to work out last night when I inspired myself to wash them but I do it so infrequently maybe I can’t tell if there’s damage.

forever21

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 8:11 pm
Do the bras wash as well in a mesh bag ?
And I agree that it’s prob better to hand wash than put in washing machine but I don’t think it gets washed well enough just from hand washing

zaq

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 8:21 pm
Laundry detergent removes odors better than bath soap but hand washing allows you to concentrate on problem areas. of course, you could apply liquid laundry detergent directly to problem areas, work it in with an old toothbrush, and then put the item in the machine, but if you’re already going to do that, why not just wash the whole thing by hand? Unless you have a great many that you’re going to wash at the same time.

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 8:57 pm
every day especially in summer
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry