Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Does anyone not feel comfortable with school starting?
Previous  1  2  3

little neshamala

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 5:39 pm
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
I honestly think that in person class should start one or 2 weeks after sukkos. People will be getting together over yom tov (they shouldn't be) and possibly spread the virus. Also they can see how things are working out for the public schools. There is so few days of school anyways between the start of school and yom tov. Does anyone else think this is a good idea??

Yes, I do

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 5:46 pm
mha3484 wrote:
I can speak for my city (Chicago). I think for many many public schools the actual building is a huge impediment for reopening. There are schools that have not a capital improvement since they were built 30 years ago. Bathrooms and HVAC systems are old and outdated. Class sizes are up to 32 kids. Its a minefield.

My kids yeshiva is 5 years old. It has a brand new hvac system, all bathrooms have touchless sinks and toilets, class sizes are 19 kids. Its a lot easier to reopen that kind of building. The considerations are not even the same as the public school that I happen to live across the street from.

Re the HVAC systems- my husband is an HVAC technician. It has nothing to do with old vs new systems. It has to do with systems that are specialized for air purification at a standard that absolutely no elementary school has. No school is equipped to deal with covid through their HVAC system

amother
Scarlet

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 5:47 pm
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
We need to think out of the box. Find some way to shuffle the kids so you have dl classes and in person classes. If you only have one class per grade you can combine grades for now.

That works if certain kids are staying online all year and certain kids are in person all year. It doesn’t work to move kids in and out of classes at the parents whim/ if they happen to get sick.

amother
Scarlet

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 5:49 pm
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
I honestly think that in person class should start one or 2 weeks after sukkos. People will be getting together over yom tov (they shouldn't be) and possibly spread the virus. Also they can see how things are working out for the public schools. There is so few days of school anyways between the start of school and yom tov. Does anyone else think this is a good idea??

Flip side is schools want to get in person school in and meet new teachers and set up procedures etc before school closes from the outbreak caused by yt travel.

mha3484

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 5:50 pm
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:
Re the HVAC systems- my husband is an HVAC technician. It has nothing to do with old vs new systems. It has to do with systems that are specialized for air purification at a standard that absolutely no elementary school has. No school is equipped to deal with covid through their HVAC system

I got a long letter from my boys school and one of the points was utilizing the hvac system
differently to reduce airborn contagion. I guess they can be lying to us but I'd be surprised its not their style.

Last edited by mha3484 on Mon, Aug 03 2020, 6:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 5:52 pm
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
Most kids did not do well at all on zoom. It is critical that our kids get back into a classroom.

This is very poor reasoning and should absolutely not be a deciding factor about reopening schools.

You want to tell me it's safe now? We are better equipped, no longer in a danger zone? Not sure I agree, but that I'll listen to. Safety is what determines schools opening, nothing else.

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Aug 04 2020, 5:09 am
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
Yes, me. I do not want to send my kids to school. They are very bored and some want to return very badly, but even with masks and social distancing I am afraid of outbreaks. I am afraid when I read that the virus may infect a child and lay dormant and cause problems chas vshalom later in adulthood. I am afraid of children spreading the virus and chas vshalom infecting parents and grandparents. I wish we were all told we must do remote learning next year. I hate this situation, I find it a terrifying experiment.

I feel exactly the same way. I do not believe that my kids’ yeshivas will be following any rules regarding social distancing or mask wearing. I am very very worried.
I’m upset as I feel that I’m being pressured into sending.
I agree that it would be better for our kids to be in school....But- Why can’t the yeshivas at least try to implement safety protocols and follow SD and mask wearing rules?
I think that because so many in the frum community have antibodies they are ready to get back to normal. But not all of us have antibodies.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Aug 04 2020, 7:17 am
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:
This is very poor reasoning and should absolutely not be a deciding factor about reopening schools.

You want to tell me it's safe now? We are better equipped, no longer in a danger zone? Not sure I agree, but that I'll listen to. Safety is what determines schools opening, nothing else.

When is it going to be safe? Next month? Next year? Our kids are bh going successfully to day camp, how is school different?

Fascinated

Post Tue, Aug 04 2020, 8:28 am
The solution in my view is to give us parents who do not feel comfortable sending the option to have our kids participate somehow. If teachers say zoom doesn't work then at least let my child listen in to class on phone. I wrote to school requesting this and was told I am the only singular parent who expressed this view. Our kids didn't attend camp and I feel its responsible to wait and see what the consequences are of reopening before sending. May take a couple of months to be evident. But by not communicating as parent body to school that there ARE people like us who need home option, nothing will happen.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Aug 04 2020, 8:58 am
NYT published an article today about what went wrong in the Israeli schools and it boiled down to crowded classrooms that were too hot to wear masks in and the windows were closed because the AC was on. They also opened too quickly.

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Aug 04 2020, 8:59 am
Current studies indicate that for the general public it is safe to open schools. While not fully comfortable we realize we need to move forward cautiously even with our discomfort.
While IY"H an effective safe vaccine will be available soon we cannot stay in lockdown or quarantine until then and according to CDC and AMA and others based on current knowledge the benefit for the general public does not indicate such a need to do so at this time B"H.
Ultimately we trust in Hashem and are working on our bitachon and emunah while doing our hishtadlus.

Fascinated

Post Tue, Aug 04 2020, 9:24 am
True that we all have to do our best and sefarim say our personal hishtadlus is completely subjective...hence the variety of views on the topic! But when objectively observing the countries that reopened schools and the subsequent serious outbreaks (in addition to jogging our very dismissive memories of what an outbreak can mean in terms of loved ones lost), it's clear that reopening schools is highly debatable. The need for it is undisputed- economy, working parents etc. But we must be clear on what good "hishtadlus" is when viewing the consequences that occured elsewhere. The AAP and CDC aren't looking there, only here. And here, we have the same low numbers that preceded their reopening....those numbers don't exist there anymore unfortunately.

chocolatecake

Post Tue, Aug 04 2020, 10:08 am
My kids have been in camp for over five weeks now and bh everything is going well. I see no reason why schools can't operate with whatever guidelines the camps were following.

I completely understand that some parents will not be comfortable sending their kids back and I think the schools should offer a zoom hookup for those kids.

I live in NY and it looks like the schools will be having five days a week of in person learning. Busing though is up in the air and I have no idea what I will do if there is no busing....
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children